E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
Alpine

My Ride: 2002 E46 BMW 330Ci
Cold start engine spluttering and stalling, wobbly idle - help!

OK guys, I've read what feels like hundreds of similar topics on the forum and internet (mainly US based) and everyone's explanation of the symptom seems different and it's given me a headache! It could be DISA, it could be fuel pump, it could be MAF, it could be this, it could be that...argh, my head! So I just need some local and straight advice from my friendly Aussie fellow fanatics!

The problem is what you see in the video of my actual car taken this morning. When starting the car in the morning from cold, ie if left overnight or over several days of not being used, the engine splutters pretty badly and might sometimes stall completely. Then when I attempt to restart it, it starts up perfectly, but then the idle (although looking stable on the tacho) feels lumpy, like the engine is wobbling which I can feel thru the car.

Once warmed up after a short while, or if I rev it abit, it seems to clear up and settles to a perfectly smooth idle. These symptoms do NOT occur on a warm start, only with a totally cold start.

The car had an Inspection II service done earlier this year, but this symptom did not appear until the colder winter days hit us, probably since a few weeks ago. The symptom has also been intermittent too, ie sometimes the car starts perfectly first go on a cold start.

I borrowed an OBD2 scanner from a friend and hooked it up, but it revealed no stored codes at all. There are also no check engine lights or other error lights on the dash as can be seen in the video.

So I need your advice, local Aussie fanatics... Has anyone seen this before on your E46, and if so, what could be causing this issue and how can it be rectified?

Really appreciate any advice you can offer...

Last edited by Alpine; 07-09-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
selien

My Ride: 330CI
Classic symptoms of misfiring, check your Ignition coils/spark plugs first step.
If it happens on cold starts (only as mine did last week), problem is just beginning and will get worse over time, not sure how much time but when its not misfiring, its fine to drive.

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
selien

I had a misfire on ignition coil 5, would only wobble and sputter on cold start ups. I replaced all my spark plugs and 2 ignition coils (just incase 1 more was faulty) and problem went right away.

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by selien View Post
Classic symptoms of misfiring, check your Ignition coils/spark plugs first step.
If it happens on cold starts (only as mine did last week), problem is just beginning and will get worse over time, not sure how much time but when its not misfiring, its fine to drive.
Spark plugs were replaced at recent Inspection 2. Ignition coils would still be the same ones though.

If it's misfiring, wouldn't this throw a code?

But I hope you're right, coz that's a fairly simple fix then

Last edited by Alpine; 07-09-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
selien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Spark plugs were replaced at recent Inspection 2. Ignition coils would still be the same ones though. If it's misfiring, wouldn't this throw a code?
How long ago (how many KM) was inspection 2?
It may also be possible spark plug gap maybe to close to to far and over time its worsened. Think the gap shoul be .2mm? or 2mm? Cant remember, but using a torque wrench when installing them gets em spot on or close.

Ignition coils, sometimes you will get a code, depends on your scanner.

Best way to diagnose misfiring ignition coil, is to take off your rocker cover, 2 nuts 10mm.
You will see the 6x ignition coils, unplug the first 1, start the car, if it still misfires, turn the car off, plug that back in, unplug the next one, start the car and repeat the process.

Do this for all coils and maybe do 2-3 combinations, you will find the car not wobble/sputter if you unplug the correct faulty ones. This is pretty much just as quick to do as a scan, really easy.

Whatever is unplugged and car idles fine, you know which coils to replace.

If this does not fix anything, check cam sensors, cam positioning.

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by selien View Post
How long ago (how many KM) was inspection 2?
1st March 2013 was when the Inspection 2 was done. I haven't done a lot of KM since then, no more than 2000KM. It's only a weekend car.

Last edited by Alpine; 07-09-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
selien

Quote:
1st March 2013 was when the Inspection 2 was done. I haven't done alot of KM. It's only a weekend car.
Spark plugs should be fine, unless you done 100,000k since March.

Not sure what other advise to offer you, keep me posted sir.

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
montchobadmoves

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007
What's about your coolant level?
montchobadmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
selien

Quote:
Originally Posted by montchobadmoves View Post
What's about your coolant level?
sh1t, good point, check your brake fluid also!

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:

OK guys, I've read what feels like hundreds of similar topics on the forum and internet (mainly US based) and everyone's explanation of the symptom seems different and it's given me a headache! It could be DISA, it could be fuel pump, it could be MAF, it could be this, it could be that...argh, my head! So I just need some local and straight advice from my friendly Aussie fellow fanatics!

The problem is what you see in the video of my actual car taken this morning. When starting the car in the morning from cold, ie if left overnight or over several days of not being used, the engine splutters pretty badly and might sometimes stall completely. Then when I attempt to restart it, it starts up perfectly, but then the idle (although looking stable on the tacho) feels lumpy, like the engine is wobbling which I can feel thru the car.

Once warmed up after a short while, or if I rev it abit, it seems to clear up and settles to a perfectly smooth idle. These symptoms do NOT occur on a warm start, only with a totally cold start.

The car had an Inspection II service done earlier this year, but this symptom did not appear until the colder winter days hit us, probably since a few weeks ago. The symptom has also been intermittent too, ie sometimes the car starts perfectly first go on a cold start.

I borrowed an OBD2 scanner from a friend and hooked it up, but it revealed no stored codes at all. There are also no check engine lights or other error lights on the dash as can be seen in the video.

So I need your advice, local Aussie fanatics... Has anyone seen this before on your E46, and if so, what could be causing this issue and how can it be rectified?

Really appreciate any advice you can offer...
mine has always had a bit of a wobble at idle when dead cold but settles down after a few seconds to normal,when you say you borrowed a scanner,what kind? I use pa soft bmw scanner on my laptop to scan my car,gives pretty comprehensive data but did not show any errors for this problem either could very well be a coil
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
mine has always had a bit of a wobble at idle when dead cold but settles down after a few seconds to normal,when you say you borrowed a scanner,what kind? I use pa soft bmw scanner on my laptop to scan my car,gives pretty comprehensive data but did not show any errors for this problem either could very well be a coil
Hi there. It is a MaxiScan MS509 OBD2/EOBD scanner.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
kook

My Ride: F20 125i
My car can sometimes do the same, IF I try to start it as soon as I put the key in. My procedure on cold mornings/long periods of no use, is to turn the key to ignition, wait until its done its routine, primed the SMG pump, all the check lights that will go out actually go out, airbag check etc, and then when she's all happy and settled I actually start it. Only takes 5 seconds with the key at ignition to go through its routine. Never misses a beat...
Are you SMG or manual?
SOLD : 2005 Le Mans Blue M3
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kook View Post
My car can sometimes do the same, IF I try to start it as soon as I put the key in. My procedure on cold mornings/long periods of no use, is to turn the key to ignition, wait until its done its routine, primed the SMG pump, all the check lights that will go out actually go out, airbag check etc, and then when she's all happy and settled I actually start it. Only takes 5 seconds with the key at ignition to go through its routine. Never misses a beat...
Are you SMG or manual?
It is Steptronic.

I have also tried giving it that delay in the ON position before actually starting, intermittently with the same result I'm afraid.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
kook

My Ride: F20 125i
Sorry, not sure then. I've changed coils about 20,000kms ago just because I was being obsessive, plugs every 10,000 or so. I still do the same routine, its habit now. Not for much longer, car will be gone in a few days...
SOLD : 2005 Le Mans Blue M3
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
My car gets that odd idle/miss if I leave it for a week or so. I've had the ignition coils replaced and the spark plugs too.

One of my ignition coils let go a year ago and I could barely get it out of the street.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
My car gets that odd idle/miss if I leave it for a week or so. I've had the ignition coils replaced and the spark plugs too.

One of my ignition coils let go a year ago and I could barely get it out of the street.
But yours wouldn't stall like that the first time on a cold start though, right?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
gueste46
Banned User

On a cold start my car starts and idles smoothly for several seconds. If I do not take of and start driving the idle gets rougher and rougher as the OP describes. If I just go as soon as I start the car I have no problem. On a warm start it does not matter.

I have had the plugs and coils all replaced. Made no difference.

The car runs absolutely smoothly as long as I take off as soon as I start the engine.
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Quote:
But yours wouldn't stall like that the first time on a cold start though, right?
Nope.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
Evil-Elmo

My Ride: 2003 E46 325i
I had (have) this exact same problem. When I took it in for inspection II no fault could be found. Anyway, as crazy as this sounds, from my experience, I only get it if I fill up with Caltex 98. If I use BP 98 (these are the main two I use due to proximity) the car starts fine. It took me a while to notice this and it's too consistent to be a coincidence. I have no idea what would cause it, but this may be something to try?

Last edited by Evil-Elmo; 07-11-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Evil-Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #20
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Elmo View Post
I had (have) this exact same problem. When I took it in for inspection II no fault could be found. Anyway, as crazy as this sounds, from my experience, I only get it if I fill up with Caltex 98. If I use BP 98 (these are the main two I use due to proximity) the car starts fine. It took me a while to notice this and it's too consistent to be a coincidence. I have no idea what would cause it, but this may be something to try?
Hmmm!!!!!!!! The plot thickens, you may be onto something.

I've been using Caltex 98 as it has always been good in my previous car (a Honda). It's almost due for a refill so I will try the next closest servo that takes supermarket discount vouchers and that is Shell - which is a tank of V-Power 98. The previous owner always used V-Power 98 and never experienced this issue.

I hope this is all it is!!!