E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
OFHG XI Specific

Any tips of advice for this project? I did a search and most of this stuff is RWD specific.

Should we pull the entire housing? What is the best way to address the PS pump? Some people say pull it up and unbolt?

Any advice is welcomed!

Joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
oafmanwpr

My Ride: 2003 330xi 6sp manua
I did my 330xi last fall. It's the same procedure. You can just unbolt the ps pump and move it out of the way. I did not remove the oil filter housing completely , just pulled it away from the block enough to clean it up and get the new gasket in. Keep track of the bolts. They are all different lengths and when re-assembling torque to spec in stages from alternating sides of the housing. You want to spread the torque as evenly as possible. It's a good time to replace the vanos oil line & crush washers while you're in there, adds 10 minutes of work. Use some brake cleaner to get all oil residue off the engine and everything it dripped on. Then you can easily spot any future leaks.
oafmanwpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
mmaldin

My Ride: '04 325xit '94 325i
I did mine last week. There are many good diy's. The xi is the same procedure. The only difference I encountered from the diy I followed was that the bottom bolt holding on the ps pump was accessed from above rather than under the car.
Yes you do want to remove the housing. And do keep track of the bolts as earlier mentioned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
mmaldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Leave the pump attached to the housing. You will have enough room to change the gasket without unbolting the pump or removing the whole housing from the engine bay.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Leave the pump attached to the housing. You will have enough room to change the gasket without unbolting the pump or removing the whole housing from the engine bay.
+1

You don't need to remove the pump. I had plenty of room without removing it. Make sure to give everything a good cleaning while you're in there!

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Yup... I just did this job on mine this past Saturday. I had more room as I was also doing a cooling system refresh and had the fan, radiator, etc. out too.

Take your fan off, remove your belts, take your airbox out, remove the two bolts for the PS reservoir and let it fall over to the fender well... Remove your alternator and you you'll have the 6 bolts holding on the housing and two bolts holding the PS pump and the one coming up from the bottom. You might have more room as well if you remove your top radiator hose too...

Allow yourself 4-5 hours minimum if you have never done this. I read somewhere that BMW techs get paid 8 hours for the job. (Though a post around here shows around 3) After doing it once now I'd almost bet I could do it in 2-3 hours.

Last edited by Big Rick; 04-11-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Kubica

^no need to remove the three bolts that hold the pump to the housing.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
SeattleLSB

is it best to remove it if i'm doing the CCV at the same time?

Joe

Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

search Youtube, there is a real good video on this.

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
is it best to remove it if i'm doing the CCV at the same time?

Joe
Should be fine without removing, but it'll be easier to get the bottom bolt from that position if you do want to remove it.

Last edited by Kubica; 04-14-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
SeattleLSB

The seal did not appear leaking when i removed it but with 195k on the car I replaced it anyways. The CCV system on the car was 100% orginal and never been remove, I can tell from the way the clamp was on the intake boot was facing down. I replaced the entire CCV system. Both upper and lower intale bellows were cracked, I had lower on-hand but ordered the upper.

Part # 11617503622 is cracked but I'm not sure if I can use normal vacumm hose or should I pay $18 for the BMW Piece. Both

Last but not least, does anyone know what the Vacumm line that came with the CCV kit is for? Clearly the extra port on the CCV is blocked with a plug to prevent me using it?

Joe

Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
mapleblunt46

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Yup... I just did this job on mine this past Saturday. I had more room as I was also doing a cooling system refresh and had the fan, radiator, etc. out too.

Take your fan off, remove your belts, take your airbox out, remove the two bolts for the PS reservoir and let it fall over to the fender well... Remove your alternator and you you'll have the 6 bolts holding on the housing and two bolts holding the PS pump and the one coming up from the bottom. You might have more room as well if you remove your top radiator hose too...

Allow yourself 4-5 hours minimum if you have never done this. I read somewhere that BMW techs get paid 8 hours for the job. (Though a post around here shows around 3) After doing it once now I'd almost bet I could do it in 2-3 hours.

that was my health inspection post where they priced it for 3 hours. i decided todo it myself just a bit nervous as it is my first time doing the ofhg. any reccomendations on what ill need? i have the parts ordered,
mapleblunt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post

BMW quoted me 416 for this job plus tax. will tackle it after I do my rear shocks on my touring
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Just did OFHG today,didn't have any issues. Did it in about 2.5 hours. Thanks for the info on this thread . Used the you tube video as a guide .
Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
bostonsthename

My Ride: 2003 Jet Black 330xi
Just did my OFHG on Saturday along with an oil change on my 2003 330xi 5 speed. I removed the PS pump just to be able to completely remove the housing. Was all fairly simple just a bit time consuming taking all the parts off. Also had to run to the parts store and get a new alternator belt because upon inspection, mine was ridden with cracks. Was suffering from an oil leak and although I haven't checked since then (but I plan on checking my oil level today) I'm not getting the check engine oil light anymore after I shut the car down. Hopefully this solved my issue.