E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
haris23

My Ride: E46 325i
E46 Sub/Amp Install

Alright, so I have installed subs and amps for quite a long time. But I have never dealt with a LOC (line out converter). I have a 2002 325i, non HK system. I have a line out converter, (Raptor LOCA25 to be exact). The damn thing did not come with any instruction manual at all. Thus far, I tapped into my left 6X9, and wired the LOC. It came with 5 wires to use, a brown which I assume in a ground, a white and white with stripe, and a black and black with stripe. I am assuming the ones with stripes are the negatives. My amp turns on no problem, RCAs are connected, grounds are good. But I am not getting any sound. What am I doing wrong? I faded the sound to the rear speakers as well and no subs.
haris23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by haris23 View Post
Alright, so I have installed subs and amps for quite a long time. But I have never dealt with a LOC (line out converter). I have a 2002 325i, non HK system. I have a line out converter, (Raptor LOCA25 to be exact). The damn thing did not come with any instruction manual at all. Thus far, I tapped into my left 6X9, and wired the LOC. It came with 5 wires to use, a brown which I assume in a ground, a white and white with stripe, and a black and black with stripe. I am assuming the ones with stripes are the negatives. My amp turns on no problem, RCAs are connected, grounds are good. But I am not getting any sound. What am I doing wrong? I faded the sound to the rear speakers as well and no subs.
It is better to tap into both left and right channels.
Here is what I found.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin...ng-myself.html

Last edited by dslboomer; 01-20-2013 at 05:05 PM.
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
haris23

My Ride: E46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslboomer View Post
It is better to tap into both left and right channels.
Here is what I found.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin...ng-myself.html
Do you think that is the issue?
haris23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
LTD36

My Ride: 05 325i and 91 MR2T
Maybe the polarity is off if you split both channels on the amp off of one sub line? Also, I have a 325i, non HK, non cold-weather package. I'm not sure how to tap into the rear deck speakers. It looks to be completely sealed off from the underside in the trunk and the seats don't fold down either, so taking the rear deck speakers out seems like a big hassle for a small project that I'm working on. How do you get to those speakers without removing the back seats?
LTD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Rigrig

My Ride: 330cic
I believe the brown is the remote, same one that goes to the amp
Rigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
joshism

My Ride: 04 330CI Convertible
Question

Quote:
What kind of amp do you have? Check your amp to see if it has a hi-level (speaker level input). If you do, then you don't even need the LOC in the first place. Hi-level input has superior quality.
joshism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
fixnit4u

My Ride: 2002 325ci Jet Black
Quote:
I did nearly the same thing and have the same problem with my '02 325ci non-HK business CD system. I'm not sure if the problem is my LOC is not compatible/working, or if I need to tap into the wires going into the factory amp instead of the rear deck speakers. I want to try tapping into wires going into the factory amp, but after much searching, I still cant find a wiring diagram for my car. I found several posts with a lot of info, but my factory amp has one large black connector going into it instead of 1 gray and 1 black connector.

Any ideas???
fixnit4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
fixnit4u

E46 Sub/Amp Install

Found out my LOC was no good.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Tapping into the input side of the amp is a better solution overall to get full range audio. I can provide our guide if anyone is interested?

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
fixnit4u

E46 Sub/Amp Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@BSW View Post
Tapping into the input side of the amp is a better solution overall to get full range audio. I can provide our guide if anyone is interested?
Yes, please. I've tried to search the board and all over the Internet but can't find the wiring diagram for amp input wires on a non HK system.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
MATT14

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnit4u View Post
Yes, please. I've tried to search the board and all over the Internet but can't find the wiring diagram for amp input wires on a non HK system.

Any of y'all have the guide for this??
MATT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
StereoInstaller1

My Ride: 4 door demo booth
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnit4u View Post

It is very easy.

First, you want to use a Metra 70-8590 adapter (dont forget your antenna adapter too). Do NOT get the harness adapter with RCAs on it, it is useless.

Power wiring is as normal: red to red, yellow to yellow, blue to blue/white, orange to orange, but the speaker wiring should be done differently.

Here is the deal: the stock deck makes about 3 watts X4. Pretty much all aftermarket decks make 12W X4 (yeah, I know, it says "50X4"...it's a lie, they make about 12X4) and we need to change that.

What this means is if you wire your new aftermarket deck using the schematic as shown on the package, the input stage of the stock amp will be overloaded horribly, causing the typical poor SQ of aftermarket decks in a BMW.

So, here is how you fix that: use ONLY the speaker positives from the deck.

That's correct, all the wires from the deck that have black stripes do not get used, but simply insulated and left alone. It is a hard concept for some people to wrap their minds around, but I am a pro with 32 years as an installer and have done this with hundreds of BMWs...it works really well.

So now, you have all the "black stripe" wires from the adapter...connect all 4 of them to the black wire, along with the decks black ground wire.

Again, the speaker negatives from the deck do not get used at all: white/black, gray/black, green/black and purple/black just get insulated and ignored.

What this does is allow the deck to make a far more digestible 3 or 4 watts per channel. The sound quality is typically better than stock, but only due to the better SQ of the deck...the amp is still what drives the speakers.

The other advantage is that the new deck runs much cooler, as its own internal amplifiers are not as stressed...all in all, this is the best/easiest/best sounding method for using the stock amplifier.

GL and HTH

Luke

Last edited by StereoInstaller1; 07-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.
StereoInstaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote