E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
bjzwart

My Ride: 330cD
Port matching of cast iron 330d manifold to cylinder head?

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my 330cd of 2003. Since it's got the stainless steel crappy manifold, I'm going to swap to a cast iron manifold when I'm installing my new hybrid turbo.

The apperture in the manifold connecting to the turbo is easy to grind to shape when the new turbo is on the bench and can be measured with callipers etc.

However, I've bought new exhaust manifold seals (between cylinder head and manifold) and the opening is much bigger than the ports of the manifold. Does anybody know how the exhaust seals match with the exhaust ports of the cylinder head? Are these ports much smaller than the seal, just like the manifold? If not, I guess there's much to gain when the cast iron is grinded away so the flow will be more smooth.

Has anybody got pictures of the exhaust ports of the M57 or M47 engine with an exhaust seal held in front of it? Or maybe anybody with a pair of callipers and unassembled manifold that could measure the max height and width of the port?

Any help would be appreciated. My car's still assembled and I use it everyday, so I would like to prepare everything and change all in one weekend.

Last edited by bjzwart; 07-12-2013 at 06:34 AM.
bjzwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Port Match It.

Port matching is critical for optimum performance, it can't be overlooked. If your exhaust manifold has smaller ports than your cylinder head, the exhaust manifold needs to be opened up. I'd cut into it between a 1/2" to 1" (12.7mm to 25.4mm) in depth, the deeper the better. Meaning, cutting into each port of your exhaust manifold up to 25.4mm deep.

In a perfect world you'd like the exhaust manifold ports to be slightly larger than the cylinder head ports. If you have enough material on the exhaust manifold to do this, I would.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Ultracharger

My Ride: 330D -04 & 745iA E23
Why not get someone who can make a proper manifold for you? The stock manifolds are not made for especially good flow.
Ultracharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
andersDK

My Ride: E46 330d touring
There is no room for a proper manifold.
andersDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
bjzwart

I've measured the standard opening in the cylinder head and checked against the opening in the cast manifold. They match up pretty well. The manifold ports are a little larger actually. All I did is cleaned up the inside of rough surface and restrictions at the locations where the bolts are:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1380988657.818209.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	529551

When I take off the old staiess steel manifold, I'll try and make a tubular similar length system. It'll be a tight fit but interesting to do!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Ultracharger

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersDK View Post
There is no room for a proper manifold.
It's tight in there but I recon one could build a compact manifold with better flow than stock and set the turbocharger a bit forward in the engine compartment where there is a little more room.

If I decide to keep my 330d and tune it more I will make a custom intake manifold as well and change to the 535d injectors + walbro fuelpump thus making 400+hp possible with my setup.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
bjzwart

Sounds interesting! What ideas do you have regarding the inlet manifold and why change it? Do you think it will improve flow?

In contrary to what people say, I found that the standard exhaust is pretty restrictive. With an open 2,5 inch system there's quite a noticable improvement. Next is changing the downpipe from 2.25 inch to 3. Will also help a bit since gas temperatures there are still high, so need more volume than at the back of the exhaust.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Ultracharger

First of all I think that the stock intake manifold can be greatly improved in flow. Also it can't handle high boost pressure because it can split in two (plastic). Mine boosts about 1.6Bar ~ 23psi ish. That's just above stock but with greatly improved flow due to big intercooler, egr delete, swirlflap delete (a must) and larger diameter pressure pipes. With a manifold in metal it would be possible to boost much more and with greater efficency.

Changing the downpipe (also deleting the dpf if you have one) greatly improves turbo spool up. Difference is big even on a stock car. I have a 3" system from turbo. One muffler. Works fine and sounds nice.