E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
35mphgolf

My Ride: 2004 Imola Red ZHP
Need different pads/compound?

Sorry there aren't any pics - lighting is too poor, but yesterday I washed/clayed/polished/glazed/waxed my ZHP (Imola) with a PC 7424XP.

I initially used Wolfgang's Swirl Remover but that wasn't enough for some sections, so I switched to a more coarse Meguairs medium polish and I used the CCS Orange Light Cutting Pad (http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/ccs-5inch-foam-pads.html - use link for reference).

The polish removed the swirls and a lot of scratches, but there are still some scratches showing (especially on the roof). After using a light/medium cutting pad with a medium cut polish - what should I go to next to try and safely remove the remaining scratches? A high cut pad and high cut polish?

I'll try to take some pics here to help yall out...
35mphgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
You'll need to post pictures. Some scratches aren't worth chasing, if its a daily driver I would shoot for 90% correction. You don't want to remove so much clear coat you'll need to reprint after several years of polishing.

I'd also suggest getting a paint thickness guage if you plan on chasing deeper scratches.

meguiars m105 and m205 is a good combo.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
35mphgolf

Yeah once I can get to some good light I'll snap some shots - but that's a good point. I'm the type of person to shoot for 100%, but that might not be realistic in this case... especially since it's a DD.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
35mphgolf

Also - it seems impossible to properly polish the tailgate and front bumper with the PC. Does this need to be done by hand? I've tried searching but couldn't find anything helpful on hand polishing: compound/applicator/method/etc..

Any pointers?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
scrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
Also - it seems impossible to properly polish the tailgate and front bumper with the PC. Does this need to be done by hand? I've tried searching but couldn't find anything helpful on hand polishing: compound/applicator/method/etc..

Any pointers?
Good luck polishing a hard clear coat by hand I would not suggest this.

You will need to do more section passes and/or work in a smaller area. The PC isn't that powerful but it will work with patience and good technique. Pad size also matters, use 5 or 5.5inch pads with that machine.

I've gone to Mike Phillips detailing workshops he is an excellent teacher...here is a list of all of his article, do some research, make sure you have the proper technique and don't shoot for 100%.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Old 07-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
35mphgolf

Thanks for all the input!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
35mphgolf

I noticed that when I got to the smaller areas that didn't apply even pressure to the surface of the entire pad - it would only oscillate, and not rotate, and I am using a smaller 5.5" pad w/ a 5" backplate...
Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
scrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
I noticed that when I got to the smaller areas that didn't apply even pressure to the surface of the entire pad - it would only oscillate, and not rotate, and I am using a smaller 5.5" pad w/ a 5" backplate...
If the pad isnt rotating correction isn't happening. The pad needs to be completely flat with uniform pressure. You may need to get a 3 inch backing plate and pads for smaller areas.