E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Well the ZF has many magnets, but the GM only has one.
and it's well know the gm is a far better step than the zf

go figure

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #22
mere_mortal7

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have a 2000 323i, GM auto tranny, with 114,000 miles on it. Tranny fluid had never been changed since car was new. I decided to do the fluid and filter change a few weeks ago. Read some of the forum posts and watched a few YouTube videos. Drained fluid (it was black) and pulled pan and filter. Cleaned pan (which wasn't very dirty). Put on new filter and gasket and put the pan back on. Got 2 gallons of Redline D-4 full synthetic ATF and started adding fluid using a transfer pump until fluid started to slowly leak out of the fill hole. Car was level engine and tranny temp were around 110 (not hot but warm) Started engine and shifted slowly through gears and then added more fluid till fluid came out of the fill hole while engine was running. Took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and noticed it was slipping sometimes. Drained fluid (it was blackish red) that was in the pan and replaced it with new fluid using the same procedure while car was level.
When I took it for another test drive, I was still having some problems with the transmission slipping and not fully engaging into gears when starting out while cold. After it warms up it seems to shift fine and smooth. Took it for another test drive next day and still having the same problems. (Car moves while cold, but I have to rev the engine a little to get it going).
Not sure what to do now. I was thinking it was slipping because it was possibly a bit low on fluid. I was going to try adding some more. Maybe my tranny doesn't like the new fluid. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me. I would really appreciate any info.
mere_mortal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #23
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mere_mortal7 View Post
I have a 2000 323i, GM auto tranny, with 114,000 miles on it. Tranny fluid had never been changed since car was new. I decided to do the fluid and filter change a few weeks ago. Read some of the forum posts and watched a few YouTube videos. Drained fluid (it was black) and pulled pan and filter. Cleaned pan (which wasn't very dirty). Put on new filter and gasket and put the pan back on. Got 2 gallons of Redline D-4 full synthetic ATF and started adding fluid using a transfer pump until fluid started to slowly leak out of the fill hole. Car was level engine and tranny temp were around 110 (not hot but warm) Started engine and shifted slowly through gears and then added more fluid till fluid came out of the fill hole while engine was running. Took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and noticed it was slipping sometimes. Drained fluid (it was blackish red) that was in the pan and replaced it with new fluid using the same procedure while car was level.
When I took it for another test drive, I was still having some problems with the transmission slipping and not fully engaging into gears when starting out while cold. After it warms up it seems to shift fine and smooth. Took it for another test drive next day and still having the same problems. (Car moves while cold, but I have to rev the engine a little to get it going).
Not sure what to do now. I was thinking it was slipping because it was possibly a bit low on fluid. I was going to try adding some more. Maybe my tranny doesn't like the new fluid. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me. I would really appreciate any info.
was your tranny doing this before your fluid/filter change?

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
mere_mortal7

My Ride: 2000 323i
No, it was not slipping before the fluid change. It was shifting a little rough, but not too bad.
I did the mechanical to electric fan swap a few months ago. After that, a few times when I came to a stop, I would sometimes get the tranny warning light. The light has come on once or twice lately after the fluid change when I come to a stop. I'm still looking for a solution to that problem. I'm assuming it's because the tranny is getting too hot because there's not enough air flow like there was with the mechanical fan.
mere_mortal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
daves325in2012

My Ride: 2004 330cic
I've got the perfect combo for you guys!
Don't think redline is the end all be all, even though its full synthetic.

History on my GM 5speed is 0-125k miles no transmission maintenance
- @ 125k i did a full pan drop, filter change, and fill with Redline D4, and then run for a few hundred miles then drain refill again with D4 with out pan drop. Ran better but something didnt feel exactly right and it got worse over the next 20,000 miles until a few days ago.
- Ran the D4 for 25k (@149k now) and then put in this maxx life three days ago without changing the filter. Also added 10oz Lube Guard Platnium.

Days ago I removed 4.5qts of Redline D4, then put back in ~4 qts of Valvoline Maxxlife (RED bottle) ATF and a 10oz bottle of Lube Guard Platinum and my transmission is now shifting better than it ever has!

Ever since then, I've been getting less shutter and slip, more TC lock, and better shifts at lower RPM cruising, and quicker response on how much I give it throttle vs how much car actually accelerates.
I can touch the throttle and accelerate so quick from 60-70 in 5th now its unbelievable this Redline didn't allow this.

Not too sure the Redline is the right fluid or has any benefit over this Maxxlife.

I am going to run 15k with this and then drop pan and change filter, then put back in only Maxxlife and another 10oz bottle of Lube Guard Platinum

I am telling you all right now, this Lube Guard Red/Platinum (very similar) is THE stuff to throw in there.

I ran the Redline for 25k and it was a good fluid but I feel like this Maxx life + Lube Guard combo just brought it back from the dead.

Torque converter locks in sooner, and i need less pedal to accelerate at any speed. shifts are smoother, a shutter is now 80% damped out and gone. Cold starts shift better, and the car now shifts soo soo smooth and slow speeds and slow acceleration

On top of all this, it grabs faster and the engine also sounds nicer going in and out of throttle at speeds of 60mph + in 5th (full TC lock)

If I'm going 60 in 5th and drop it in 4th and give it half pedal boy does it behave different!

If ya'll want to try something amazing do this!

If it works all I ask is a PM

Last edited by daves325in2012; 07-12-2013 at 03:52 PM.
daves325in2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
wildcat293

My Ride: 325xi
if the tranny craps out after a drain and fill it was going to die soon anyway
change it!
wildcat293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #27
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves325in2012 View Post
Days ago I removed 4.5qts of Redline D4, then put back in ~4 qts of Valvoline Maxxlife (RED bottle) ATF and a 10oz bottle of Lube Guard Platinum and my transmission is now shifting better than it ever has!
I've been running the Maxlife/Lubeguard-Red combo in my ZHP for 4 months now. Works perfect. Just finished a 500 mile road trip in high temps. Flawless.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atf change, transmission