E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
fiv216

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Need DSLR guru help !

Hey !

This is insanely short notice, but after seeing some of the beautiful shots some of you have taken I wanted to try my hand at some more advanced photography.

I browsed the local craiglist and found a nikon D40 (bought new in 2008) for $150 including lens and case. I'm just not sure if this is a good deal, it seems to be alot cheaper then what most people are asking for similar cameras but I just dont know what to look for in a DSLR.

Reviews seem to say it's a good entry level camera but I trust e46 drivers more then random google people. (good taste in cars good tastes in cameras? )

Any knowledge of what to look for when buying or if its a good deal would be great ! thanks all.

EDIT: forgot to mention comes with case & strap if that helps the deal at all. Suppose to look/buy it tomorrow kinda nervous !

Last edited by fiv216; 07-13-2013 at 12:02 AM.
fiv216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
hmmm. tough call. If you are looking to start photography or "advance photography", I would start with something that has more bells and whistles. The Nikon D40 came out in 2006. If this person purchased it when it was new, it probably sold for $400. I remember when the D40x came out. Nikon quickly replaced it the D40 with the D40x within a years time. Camera come with a strap and some are packaged with lens and case. You might not like the strap nor the case. I wouldn't put those in the cost or the buying experience. I bought a camera strap from a local camera store for $1.00.

I would not go with the D40 because you could do better with a Nikon D50. Spend a little more for the D50 and get a nice lens for it.

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20575667.html

What to look for in buying... there are loads of info on the web.

http://petapixel.com/2009/05/22/a-gu...sed-dslr-gear/
http://digital-photography-school.co...-a-dslr-camera
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
fiv216

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Theres also a D50 w/ 18-55 lens for $250. Another hours drive away but do you honestly think it's worth another hundred for features? I'm clearly out of my league with decisions like this but I just want to get as much information as possible. Thanks !
fiv216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I like to get the most for my money. Meaning - I like more bells and whistles. The D40, like most entry level cameras, does not have an in-body auto focus motor. The D50 does. Having this option you have more lenses to chose from. The D40 and current entry level Nikon DSLR (D5000, D5200, D3200) do not have an in-body focus motor. The only Nikon lenses that will allow you auto focus with the camera are the G-Type lenses. These lenses have a CPU (computer) inside that allows you to auto focus. Not to get to technical ... If you purchase a D50 your choices of lenses grows. D50 can auto focus with D-type lenses and G-type. D40 can only auto focus with G-type. You can manually focus D-type lenses with a D40 and other entry level DSLR.

Some people upgrade their cameras because they want to use more lenses and have more bells and whistles. D50 has a top LCD screen, more Auto focus points. You have more control over your D50 than the D40.

What I find is when you pair a DSLR w/ a nice lens your images are better. Well that's provided you know how to use your camera lol.

D50 w/ battery and charger
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digi...990899250?r=FE
http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20575667.html

Lens
Nikon 18-70mm
http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20568557.html

D50 w/ kit lens
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...pixel_slr.html

I tried looking for a 35-70mm f/2.8 online but they are out of your price range and most of what I saw had fungus inside them. That would really work with a D50 because it's a fast lens (shoots aperture f/2.8) and that works well in low light and that is under $400.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
ride365

I have a D40 bought new and still use it on a somewhat regular basis. I have also have better cameras, but I like the small size and simplicity of the D40 in certain situations. I passed it down to my daughter at one point to learn a DSLR, but she wasn't quite ready for it. The point is, it's more than enough for a beginner, especially for that price... especially for an impulse purchase (as long as it works properly).

Don't get caught up in the spend-more mentality just yet. If you get hooked, that's going to beat you over the head eventually.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Get the d40 and a 35mm lens. Use this to learn how to shoot and only upgrade when you find that there is something you can set faster or manipulate easier with more advanced features. Just remember, a camera is a camera no matter the style or brand. Some do things faster or slower but they can never work themselves. Learn to be a photographer

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
For $150 including a case and lens, you can't go wrong. That's entry level point and shoot camera money.

Buy the D40, pick up a book or two, and read all about lighting and exposure. Once (if ever) you figure out what in the D40 you find limiting, you'll know what to buy.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
Need DSLR guru help !

Get a D300 and never look back..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote