E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #341
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
NO it will not. Nothing but two dancing music notes show up on the screen when streaming over BT. regardless of what app you use... Streaming or listening to locally stored music
Thanks for the info.

I'm either listening to XM or streaming my Spotify from my phone and I use the controls on the wheel to change tracks and my current radio to see the track information. I understand the lack of XM but if I can't control Spotify or Pandora and see track info I'm going to have to pass for now. It's a shame because this unit has real potential.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels

Last edited by SmokeyDP; 07-09-2013 at 04:41 PM.
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #342
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyDP View Post
Thanks for the info.

I'm either listening to XM or streaming my Spotify from my phone and I use the controls on the wheel to change tracks and my current radio to see the track information. I understand the lack of XM but if I can't control Spotify or Pandora and see track info I'm going to have to pass for now. It's a shame because this unit has real potential.
I understand waht you mean... in Canada We cant get pandora or spotify... so I barely stream BT audio from my phone unless im listening to a game or something..

but yeah.. I too would want to be able to see the tracks and stuff instead of lighting up the phone each time to see the track

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #343
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Well, let me chime in with my review of the D5150. I switched from a used Enco B146 (same as Eonon D5113) to this unit, so I'll compare it a bit to that. Prior to the Enco, I had a single-din Eclipse CD3200 that the previous owner installed in the car. Shameless plug:
it's for sale in the classifieds, by the way, and if want a single-din, buy it as the sound quality is great.

Environment:
My car is a 2006 coupe that came with a standard stereo (no HK), but speakers were replaced with aftermarket units and there's an aftermarket amp in the back (which I will be replacing soon). I'm using RCA connectors rather than factory speaker harness. Also, I do not have steering wheel controls, so I am not using the supplied CANBUS box.

Audio quality:
I'm not an audiophile, but the Eclipse had excellent clarity that cannot be compared to either Enco or Eonon. If Eclipse is 10/10, Enco was 5/10 and Eonon is about 7/10. So, Eonon sounds better than Enco.
As mentioned previously in the thread, I too am experiencing a slight "pop" from the system when it starts up and then a couple of seconds later when BT link to my phone is established, I get another one.

Radio:
I'm experiencing the same symptoms as noted from others: poor FM reception. In some areas, I get nice and clean signal, but others it's poor. I didn't have this issue with Enco. I'll have to troubleshoot this a bit since I also suspect that the FM amp in the rear was never properly connected with to the Eclipse unit. I mostly listen to talk radio, so it's not as annoying as for some folks trying to listen to music stations. The interface is much much better though.

Bluetooth:
Connects quickly, audio quality is very good and better than Enco. The interface is again MUCH better than Enco. The dial pad is clear, side menu is much better etc. The quality of phone calls is very good and everyone can hear me clearly with the built-in microphone while I'm driving. Love it!
The phonebook is in a random order. Pretty annoying since now I have to try to remember actual phone numbers for people if I want to dial them. Imagine that! I'm using a Nexus 4 phone with Google Contacts sync. I haven't tried connecting my my iPhone 4S. I know that with the 4S on Enco, the contacts worked fine. But then again, the interface on the Eonon again is much much better.
Instead of phonebook, I started using the "Call log" section to dial my frequently called numbers. It worked fine for a couple of days and now it's showing only about 3-4 random contacts in there. I wonder what logic, if any, it follows.

iPod:
As everyone else said, it is amazing! Proper display of albums etc. The sad part is that I just switched from iPhone 4S to Nexus 4, so there goes that functionality benefit. However, I don't listen to music much. But for those of you with GBs of music on your iPods, this improvement alone will be worth the upgrade.

SD:
Load time is quick for my 16GB Class 4 card (but it's not full at all) and again,
the interface and controls are much nicer, smoother, quicker and you can clearly navigate through folders etc. This is my primary music source and works brilliantly.

Navigation:
I have iGo Primo 2.4 and it runs smoother than on Enco, so I guess there's clear benefit to the faster hardware. Everything works as expected. (Note: I did the same silly thing and managed to insert the navi SD card just above the card slot and had to pull it out with tweezers. haha So, watch where you are putting the card.)

Rearview camera:
I don't have one yet and I plan to get one connected, but I'll wait to hear if someone manages to connect one successfully without the canbus box. I sure hope it's possible to just tap into the wires to activate it when in reverse.

Controls:
The volume slider is much better than Enco. With Enco, it used to go up in increments of 2. This one works properly and smoothly.
The unit remembers all the volume settings for all modes, which is great. For example, you can have radio volume at 20 and BT at 40 and when a phone call comes in, the radio is muted and BT audio starts right at 40. Perfect!
Since I don't have canbus connected, I haven't even attempted to get auto-dim working. I just dim the unit manually with the icon on the screen. Works well.

Interface:
I thought I would miss the Enco iDrive-like theme, but I don't. The Eonon interface is much much smoother. The buttons are bigger and placed better, which makes for a much nicer user experience. Again, I'm comparing this to Enco. Overall, there is still a big room for improvement here and whoever creates these things needs to put down their mouse, jump in a car and drive around and try to press buttons on this thing. This is why I don't understand why folks bother with Android and Windows CE desktops in their cars on such a small screen. These units need to have giant buttons that use the entire screen and not try to make things pretty but useless. I have not owned a Dynavin, but from pictures, this is where their units shine: big buttons!

Look and feel:
I put on a custom wallpaper with ///M logo, which looks right at home on the unit. The backlight is red and does not match OEM amber lights on the dash. Again, Enco matched perfectly. I thought it would annoy me, but it doesn't and I actually don't notice the mismatch. The physical buttons feel good and solid and not cheap. The new labels look nice and clean. Looks very much like a factory unit.

Installation:
Since I installed Enco previously, I knew what I was in for. I didn't swap the blue cables in the harness since I'm running RCAs to the back, but I did connect the amp trigger wire to the blue cable on the main harness to get sound. Whereas on Enco, you plug in their harness with RCAs into its own connector that is slightly off-center, Eonon put all the RCA cables in the top left rear corner (when looking at the unit from the front), which is exactly the spot where there's the least amount of space in E46 once you push the whole unit in. So, yes, it does need a bit of a gentle push. I didn't trim the radio connector and I think I should have since that the part of the rear that pretty much touches the duct work even without any cables plugged in. I did trim the iPod connector a little and bent it to the right. Enco supplies a right-angle iPod connector cable, which made this a non-issue on that unit. I tried re-using that cable with Eonon, but eventhough the pins are exactly the same, my iPhone didn't work. It would connect and charge, but I couldn't get any music. Strange.
Overall, my unit sits flush. If you're picky, you'd say that it sticks out 1-2mm, but you'd have to really check that to notice.

Support and customer service:
Don't expect any and you'll be satisfied! Seriously, this thread is the best you can do. You will just get canned responses and some basic advice will work, so I'm not beating down on Eonon. Just don't expect any knowledgeable E46 support. They are likely spending their time working on the next unit that can be mounted inside all the OEM-looking plastic and sold in the same configuration to thousands of owners of various car makes. I should say that shipping was quick: 4 business days to Canada.

Overall summary:
I am happy that I upgraded from the B146. This unit is not perfect, but it gets me an incredible amount of functionality for a relatively low price. If you want quality, plug and play fit and functionality, and excellent support, buy the Dynavin D99+. If I could buy D99+ for say $550 all in, I'd buy that instead. However, the Dynavin would have cost me $900 to my door with taxes. The Eonon D5150 was $370 in total. So, for the $530 savings, I think this is a great bargain. If you were to start with a Business CD and added an external OEM AUX kit, then a Bluetooth kit and buy external GPS, you'd spend more money and have more stuff and wires around your car.

My rating for Eonon D5150: 3.5/5.

OK, that should be long enough for now.
If you have any questions, please ask.
good review 100% in agreement,only problem for me is nobody wants my old d5113,I seem to be collecting unwanted e46 audio equipment,have one question though,how come you paid $370?,did you pay import taxes?,mine cost$295 shipped,but we don't pay import duties in aus on anything under a grand,maybe eonon charge differently depending on country
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #344
hamun8

My Ride: BMW E46 320d
could anyone tell me the 2 wires to connect so i get sound on CD, dvd etc, is it the 2 loose blue wires ? or is there something i don't understand :S
hamun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #345
hamun8

and is it possible to connect phone audio using 3,5 mm aux ? i tried using the aux in (red/white RCA cable) but it didn't work
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #346
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamun8 View Post
and is it possible to connect phone audio using 3,5 mm aux ? i tried using the aux in (red/white RCA cable) but it didn't work
Go back in the thread and read man... its been discussed a million times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamun8 View Post
could anyone tell me the 2 wires to connect so i get sound on CD, dvd etc, is it the 2 loose blue wires ? or is there something i don't understand :S
ofcourse you're not gonna get sound if the blue amp wire isn't connect yet! lol do that first and it will work.

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #347
eljay

My Ride: ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
Dude, Killer job on the review!!! I agree 100% about everything you said!

I too went from the D5113 to the D5150 and fell excatly the same way

(I'm actually giving my D5113 to my best friend in Halifax! going there in August I'm originally from NS but moved out west for work...
Thanks.
That will be a nice gift to your friend here in Halifax! The BMW community here is growing a bit too - good to see some nice E30s running around.

Back on topic...
Yesterday, I stopped the car, shut off the engine and stereo turned off. However, my phone still indicated that there's a BT connection. Anyways, I got an incoming call and the phone didn't pick up sound as it pretended that the stereo is still the sound source while it was shut off. I noticed that the backlight on the unit was still on, but the screen was fully off and the unit was not responding to any button pushing. Didn't think much of it as I had to run out to a store. Locked the car, came back 5 mins later and before opening the car, I noticed that the backlights on the stereo are still on! I wasn't happy as that could just be draining the battery if it was sitting for a bit. So, I grabbed my wrenches and disconnected the battery. All is good now. I have not tried the reset button as I didn't have anything thin to push it. Let's hope this doesn't repeat. Still happy with it though.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #348
eljay

My Ride: ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
good review 100% in agreement,only problem for me is nobody wants my old d5113,I seem to be collecting unwanted e46 audio equipment,have one question though,how come you paid $370?,did you pay import taxes?,mine cost$295 shipped,but we don't pay import duties in aus on anything under a grand,maybe eonon charge differently depending on country
Thank you.
Yes, it was $341+19.90 shipping charge to Canada - $3 coupon (what a discount!) + $37 in taxes = ~$395
So, actually more than I stated. I'll correct that.

Last edited by eljay; 07-10-2013 at 10:24 PM.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #349
hamun8

Sv: Just ordered a Eonon D5150! (New version of Eonon D5113/Enco B146)

The reason I asked about aux connection is i contacted eonon support and they said I could only use the bluetooth or front USB for playing music not the aux. I have read the whole thread 2 time and only asked for confirmation

I have done the thing with the blue wires and have sound on radio, dvd/cd, bluetooth etc.

But i have hk system but the subs wont work. I read about the subs beeing crisper but when i disconnect the subs i don't hear any difference???????

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by hamun8; 07-12-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #350
knightrider5000

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i 4 door
Send a message via Yahoo to knightrider5000
Eonon contacted me about the rear camera issue they want me to send them my canbus so they can test it. I still think its a wireing issue in the canbus cause it works in the newer e46s but not in the older 99 thro 01 maybe, so the bmw wiring may be different or it could be just a bad can bus, or the actually plug in 17 could be at fault too. We shall see.
knightrider5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #351
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider5000 View Post
Eonon contacted me about the rear camera issue they want me to send them my canbus so they can test it. I still think its a wireing issue in the canbus cause it works in the newer e46s but not in the older 99 thro 01 maybe, so the bmw wiring may be different or it could be just a bad can bus, or the actually plug in 17 could be at fault too. We shall see.
You got a constructive response from eonon,whats your secret?,I never got anything more than half-arsed fob offs,maybe I need to change my approach?
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #352
knightrider5000

Well I made 2 videos for eonons website of my install and one is on the facebook page of the 5150. And I showed them this thread here that they have read. And I bugged them more than I should have to as well Lots of emails to different reps they have. And the online chat they have on there website. I am very happy with there system, it sure beats the alpine cassette player and 6 disk trunk cd player anyday. My only issue was the camera issue really, Which I am hoping to figure that out.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #353
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Well done Kightrider! Hopefully they will take some of this info and fix the issues.

Ok so I was watching a few of these on eBay and the prices were $350-$375 depending on the seller.
I just checked and they are all now $999.00! Even the ones being sold by Eonon, what's up?

Eonon's eBay Store
http://www.ebay.com/itm/D5150U-7-Car...item5d3f9ac022

$341.00 on Eonon (Sold Out)
http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specifi...BMW/D5150.html

$522.00 on Eonon Wholesale
http://b2b.eonon.com/details.aspx?pr...duct_no=D5150U

$999.00
http://sale-hot.com/D5150U+BMW+E46

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 07-16-2013 at 08:39 PM.
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #354
bcw448

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci coupe
$999.00 = Out Of Stock!
bcw448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #355
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

I went to Eonon's eBay store and submitted an offer for $350 and stated the fact this is listed for $341 on their website and the $999 price must be an error. They accepted my offer but got an email saying its "Out of Stock".

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 07-16-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #356
knightrider5000

one word, RESELLLLLLLERS buy from china. Its the american way...
Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #357
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
so this unit doesnt have wifi and doesnt run android? whats really the difference between android and windows? just preference? I have a android phone and love it.
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #358
knightrider5000

no net, but thats what cells are for.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #359
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider5000 View Post
one word, RESELLLLLLLERS buy from china. Its the american way...
That was Eonon's eBay store, they are now Sold Out.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #360
MathewM3

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
That was Eonon's eBay store, they are now Sold Out.
Well it says 10 available today, how long did it take for them to get back to you with your offer on ebay?
MathewM3 is offline   Reply With Quote