E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
erich330ci

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Auto transmission clunk when coming to stop.

This just started today. When I'm slowing to a stop, when I get down to maybe 10 mph or so, I feel a fairly blatant clunk when the tranny shifts down from 2nd to 1st gear. It causes me & passenger to lurch forward a bit. It has never done this before. It's a 2004 330ci with about 85K miles. I've had the car for about six years and have never touched the tranny. I just asked my independent shop yesterday if I should have the fluid & filter changed, as well as the differential fluid. The answer was basically, "Wouldn't be a bad idea with almost 90K miles". I've put a few thousand bucks into the car for maintenance and wheels/tires/suspension over the last few months and after all that, I'm sick at the thought that I may have a tranny issue. Please tell me I don't!!! Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
With any luck it could just be trans mounts, jack the car up & slide under. Sometimes they are so bad you can just see the damage without touching anything. Trans mounts are not expensive. IF it's inside the trans, well that's another story / price tag.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
erich330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
With any luck it could just be trans mounts, jack the car up & slide under. Sometimes they are so bad you can just see the damage without touching anything. Trans mounts are not expensive. IF it's inside the trans, well that's another story / price tag.

Good luck.
Do the mounts just go bad all of a sudden?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Yes.

The old rubber fatigues, then one day it just fails, as in it breaks in half. With luck, this is your problem.

If not, the price to fix it will increase.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
erich330ci

I have new tranny mounts in hand for installation, but it dawned on me that perhaps I should see how the 2nd-to-1st shift goes in sport mode. Tried it and there's no clunk. Drove it in sport mode a couple of times, then went back to normal mode. The clunk is now gone in normal mode. This is great, but I'm at a loss as to why there was a clunk. Seems as if it may be/have been a programming issue rather than anything mechanical. Stumped. Any ideas?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Change your fluid and filter. It could also be fluid level that affects that.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
erich330ci

I've got the tranny filter & filter change on my radar, but have been stalling a bit, trying to figure out if I should buy a kit or buy the filter and fluid piecemeal.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
erich330ci

Going to have differential fluid changed at same time. Totally unfamiliar with these fluids, hence the stalling.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich330ci View Post
I've got the tranny filter & filter change on my radar, but have been stalling a bit, trying to figure out if I should buy a kit or buy the filter and fluid piecemeal.

Just buy the filter plus gasket and then go get your fluid.

Not many people sell a kit for tranny fluid and filter change.

Order a filter with pan gasket like ATP-B275 ( if it fits your vehicle) off Amazon for $37, and then pick up Castrol transmit import multi vehicle ATF from your local parts store

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 07-14-2013 at 09:57 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
jbren325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Re: Auto transmission clunk when coming to stop.

Did you also have the little gear with the ! In the middle beside your indicator on your dash?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
jbren325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Re: Auto transmission clunk when coming to stop.

The reason I ask is because I had this same problem in my sedan. Hard clunck when slowing down at redlight. Had the gear box warning light on dash. I had the transmission codes read by shop, nothing. One day the car finally died on me. It wouldnt do anything. Had it towed to a bmw indy shop. They told me they only thing they saw bad was the fuel pump had died and clogged fuel filter. Rrplaced both and car ran great. Never had transmission issue again. Just food for thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
erich330ci

Nope, that light never came on, but thanks for the info.