E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #3141
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
The General AR Discussion Thread

Has the HK 416 always been this expensive?!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #3142
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
So, oiling/lubing the buffer/spring/tube. A go or no-go? I've read arguments on both sides.
No need.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #3143
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post

Well, I think your observation needs more explanation. Firstly, all HKs are expensive. Because you suck...and they hate you.

Secondly, you as a civilian can't buy a 416, unless you're a dealer with a demo letter and even then, I think HK changed its practices so that you can't. They send a representative to demo it for you.

The closest most can get is an MR556, which is a semi auto lower with a 16 inch upper on it that is pretty similar to that of a 416 upper. If I recall correctly, there are still some minor differences though. Those guns are over $4k in most cases, afaik.

Then there are crazy people like me who have a hankering for the real deal and can get pretty close. I didn't do this, because of the price and availability of spare parts, but I was tempted. You can attempt to find an authentic 416 upper that is a take off from a law enforcement machine gun. Then, you can stick that on your lower (in my case, a registered colt m16 machine gun), and you pretty much have a 416. The problem is that, from what I've seen recently, those uppers go for anywhere between $4k and $6k and you can't get spare parts, once again, because you're a civilian and they hate you. So, in my case, I could conceivably shoot the barrel of the gun out over time and would have an extremely difficult time finding a replacement.

Ultimately, its not worth it IMO. There was a certain allure to me to try and do a clone of the gun that killed bin laden. Since I already had the most expensive part, I thought grabbing the upper and doing it up as best I could would be totally badass. I even figured I could charge people money to shoot it and they would pay it. But I eventually came to my senses.

Its an amazing gun, but beyond the reach of most civilians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
No need.
I thought so, but I wasn't sure if it was any different, depending on how much stress you're going to put it through. Full auto fire, for example.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #3144
david05111

I'll throw this in here too. Have to get an optic for either the 10.5 or 8 inch Noveske. I haven't decided which one of the uppers the T-1 is going on, but I'm hedging toward the 8 inch.

So I'm looking at Aimpoints and Eotechs. I think I've eliminated the Eotech again. Despite the fact that a part of my gut really wants one, my eyes just don't see it right. And I figure I should buy what does the job correctly for me.

So, with that in mind, I've narrowed it to 3 choices basically.

1) Aimpoint PRO. One of the dealers in Jax has them on sale at the moment for like $389 + tax. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

2) Aimpoint Comp M4s. There's one floating around on arfcom at the moment for $550 shipped. That's expensive, but if it really is a superior optic in many ways to the pro, the $125 additional after tax may make sense.

3) Another T-1. This is tricky. It will, in all likelihood, be the most expensive to acquire in the end (at least with the Larue mount). And since what I'm looking for are 2moa or less optics, that makes it a little more difficult since the 2moa T-1s are a little tougher to come by at reasonable prices.

Thoughts on this? Thinking of just going with the PRO. I'm not too sure about that mount, but AFAIK, its 2moa, its NV compatible, and its the right price brand new.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #3145
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Do you really need it to be NV compatible? Why not the H-1?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #3146
david05111

Quote:
NV is the plan for next year. Just planning ahead

Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #3147
david05111

Video I took today...a few of you have already seen it.

Last edited by david05111; 07-15-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #3148
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
So, oiling/lubing the buffer/spring/tube. A go or no-go? I've read arguments on both sides.
I never have, and don't. Never been an issue before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post

Quote:
Well, I think your observation needs more explanation. Firstly, all HKs are expensive. Because you suck...and they hate you.

Secondly, you as a civilian can't buy a 416, unless you're a dealer with a demo letter and even then, I think HK changed its practices so that you can't. They send a representative to demo it for you.

The closest most can get is an MR556, which is a semi auto lower with a 16 inch upper on it that is pretty similar to that of a 416 upper. If I recall correctly, there are still some minor differences though. Those guns are over $4k in most cases, afaik.

Then there are crazy people like me who have a hankering for the real deal and can get pretty close. I didn't do this, because of the price and availability of spare parts, but I was tempted. You can attempt to find an authentic 416 upper that is a take off from a law enforcement machine gun. Then, you can stick that on your lower (in my case, a registered colt m16 machine gun), and you pretty much have a 416. The problem is that, from what I've seen recently, those uppers go for anywhere between $4k and $6k and you can't get spare parts, once again, because you're a civilian and they hate you. So, in my case, I could conceivably shoot the barrel of the gun out over time and would have an extremely difficult time finding a replacement.

Ultimately, its not worth it IMO. There was a certain allure to me to try and do a clone of the gun that killed bin laden. Since I already had the most expensive part, I thought grabbing the upper and doing it up as best I could would be totally badass. I even figured I could charge people money to shoot it and they would pay it. But I eventually came to my senses.

Its an amazing gun, but beyond the reach of most civilians.
During normal pricing, the MR556A1 goes for $3300-$3500. That's the commercial pricing. The restricted HK416 model is over $1k less. Why? Because they know commercial buyers/civilians will pay for it despite the fact that it is neutered. Why? Because HK. And because they hate you and you suck.

For a piston rifle purchase on the commercial market, I believe that the LWRC M6 and LMT MRP rifles are the best purchases for the premium end. A lot more bang for your buck.

Quote:
I'll throw this in here too. Have to get an optic for either the 10.5 or 8 inch Noveske. I haven't decided which one of the uppers the T-1 is going on, but I'm hedging toward the 8 inch.

So I'm looking at Aimpoints and Eotechs. I think I've eliminated the Eotech again. Despite the fact that a part of my gut really wants one, my eyes just don't see it right. And I figure I should buy what does the job correctly for me.

So, with that in mind, I've narrowed it to 3 choices basically.

1) Aimpoint PRO. One of the dealers in Jax has them on sale at the moment for like $389 + tax. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

2) Aimpoint Comp M4s. There's one floating around on arfcom at the moment for $550 shipped. That's expensive, but if it really is a superior optic in many ways to the pro, the $125 additional after tax may make sense.

3) Another T-1. This is tricky. It will, in all likelihood, be the most expensive to acquire in the end (at least with the Larue mount). And since what I'm looking for are 2moa or less optics, that makes it a little more difficult since the 2moa T-1s are a little tougher to come by at reasonable prices.

Thoughts on this? Thinking of just going with the PRO. I'm not too sure about that mount, but AFAIK, its 2moa, its NV compatible, and its the right price brand new.
For 5.56, 8" is annoying. For .300BLK, it's a good length.

The PRO is the most economical. I really like it for what it is, but the QRP2 mount is not as ideal as some of the other mounts out there. Still, it's solid enough for most use. It's halfway between lower-1/3 and absolute co-witness, though it is closer to absolute co-witness. I prefer lower-1/3.

I always go back to the T1. The light weight and small size are really hard to beat. The M4/M4s is a massive tank, and although I love mine, I likely would not buy another one. Just too heavy and bulky. The T1 uses the CR2032 batteries, which are available everywhere. AA's are too. The downside of the PRO is that it runs the 1/3N batteries, which are hard to get unless you go online.

Quote:
The H1 works, but along with NV compatibility, the T1 also has an extra top end setting that is significantly brighter than the top setting for the H1. In extremely bright desert or snow conditions, which is what it was made for, the T1 excels.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #3149
david05111

Ended up not doing anything to the buffer and spring, and it worked well as you can see by the video above. Setup functioned almost flawlessly; a marine managed to get it to fail once.

The 8 inch Noveske is 300 BLK; the 10.5 is 5.56 (that's the shortest I'll go for 5.56 I think). I had the T-1 on the gun today and it was really a pretty great setup. Really very comfortable. I made an offer on the M4s...we'll see what he says. As for the PRO, I thought it was pretty nice too actually. The mount is a little meh, but price is really nice.

I think I'm doing alot of this stuff impractically. I'm buying a wide variety of stuff instead of stuff I know works and works well. My mentality in doing that is that I turn 4 guns into like 20 because I can swap stuff around and create loads of different setups. But its probably totally backwards.

I'll see what the guy says about the M4s and if we can't come to a deal that is reasonable for me, I'll eliminate that and be between the PRO and the T-1.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #3150
david05111

Wait, is the M4s 1moa? The damn thing weighs 3/4 of a pound, which really kinda sucks...

Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #3151
Reedo302

No, the M4 is 2moa

Glock Armorer

Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #3152
david05111

^understood

Another question. I've got a Matech rear sight sitting in my tool bin at the moment collecting dust. I need a new BUIS for my 10.5 Noveske upper. The upper didn't come with sights from Noveske. So, naturally, I thought I'd throw the Matech on it. Now, I realize that the adjustable indexes from 200-600 meters probably won't be accurate, since its short barrel and the sight is probably calibrated for a 16 inch.

What I need to know is what front sight I should use. The 6940 this came off of has a folding integrated sight on it so I have no reference point on what might work and wouldn't look out of place (like a Matech rear and a magpul front). Any ideas?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #3153
Reedo302

I personally wouldn't use the Matech, but that's just me. It's like an A2 sight in that you can just set the sights up for a specific range and leave it alone and make not adjustments. I.E. you just zero it for 50yds and leave it the hell alone. However, like the A2 rear drum sight, if you want to use it as designed, you need to utilize a corrected close range trajectory
As I understand it, the Matech is a dual-platform sight designed for military use to be used as an A2/M4 rear sight BUIS. With an M4 (14.5"), you set the range at 300m and then zero using a standard 25m M4 carbine zero target that the military uses (I have this in PDF format). If you are running an M16A4, your put the range adjuster on the white line and then zero the same as with the M4. This is with M855 ammunition. The front sight height on this should match the standard F-marked FSP, or any front sight post of similar height which is pretty much every BUIS. So realistically, you can use any front sight.
The ballistics are going to be off at longer ranges with a 12.5" SBR.

That said, in this day and age, there should be no reason for running a military 300m zero. It's antiquated and problematic. SOCOM units use 50yd BZO on their optics and BUIS for a reason- simplicity. Out to 250-300yds, point and click.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a guy on another forum that's trying to call me out for saying that DPMS sucks and then having the nerve to actually provide examples. How dare I!!!! I must be punching some sacred cow on his farm.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 07-22-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #3154
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec

Link to thread with guy saying dpms rules...I need a morning laugh

Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #3155
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI

DPMS haha. Was selling my Sig 556 and a guy wanted to trade me his DPMS straight up for it. Boasting how it can compare to a Scar 16 haha.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #3156
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Re: The General AR Discussion Thread

Just bought a 16"noveske recon barrel

New build:
Umbrella corp fde upper /lower
Umbrella grip
Fortis 14"rail
Magpul str stock
Raptor ch
Joebob enhanced bcg
Alg trigger
Badass safety
Noveske barrel
Surefire sfmb 556 brake most likely
Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #3157
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
What's the word on Northtech Defense uppers and lowers? They sponsor my buddy in multi-gun comps.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #3158
Reedo302

I don't know. I haven't heard a damn thing about them. Mike Hwang from Rainier Arms has been pushing them, which makes me think they're decent. Generally with billet, things are a lot more consistent.

Glock Armorer

Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #3159
david05111

I have a Northtech lower, one of the original designs with a serial number in the first 400 I think. I like it alot actually. The tolerances are super tight, quality and finish is very good, and the design is cool. It's like an edgier, harder version of a Noveske gen 2, etc.

I think it's definitely an up-and-coming company and should be making interesting stuff well into the future.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #3160
dan03833

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I picked up iron back up sights for my are. The rear sight fits the rail just fine. On the other hand, the front sight won't clamp tight to the rail. It appears that the front sight base is too wide. I am new to the whole AR/rail system platform and this type of sight. Is this how it's supposed to be or the sight isn't properly manufactured as I suspect?
dan03833 is offline   Reply With Quote