E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
dsm156

My Ride: 2002 325i
E46 Engine Management Options?

I recently picked up a 2002 325i with the sport package and I'm pretty impressed with the overall nature of the car. However, I am coming from the high strung 4-cylinder world and this meek power output is, well, a serious let down. The larger motors still aren't enough to get my power fix, and I don't see a tapped out N/A setup being anything close to what I would like.

I've built numerous custom turbocharger systems so the fabrication of a custom turbo kit is not a problem. The only issue holding me back from turbocharging this car is the engine management. I don't want to jump into a project that I can't control the engine when it is done. I also don't care for others tuning my vehicles as I'm fairly competent in tuning engines when the software is available.

Is there any software available that will allow the user to tune the fuel and timing maps? Searching through there, it appears the only thing offered is supercharger kits and that does not interest me at all. It doesn’t look like there are any options, but I thought I would just ask incase I missed it some where.
dsm156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Solid

My Ride: `07 335i Sedan
Send a message via ICQ to Solid Send a message via AIM to Solid Send a message via MSN to Solid Send a message via Yahoo to Solid
HorsePowerFreaks/Technik (e90, maybe e46), AA, and DA Motorsports all have turbo kits in the works, so it's a waiting a game if you're looking for a kit. Hopefully they all come out this year

I think a few people on here have some one-off kits using motec management or something close to that.
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
dsm156

I'm just interested in engine management.

I've got no problem building the turbo system. Just need to be able to do the tuning on my own. Here are some systems similar to what I am talking about.

http://www.hondata.com
http://neptune.evans-tuning.com/
http://www.dsmlink.com
http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/do_tc.html

Is there anything like this available for the E46?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Look for a company called Sias Tuning (I think). The guys name is Vic Sias, he posts more on Bimmerfortums, but he sells the ECU system most E36 boost guys run - the TEC 3, it has VANO's control, not sure if it is double VANOS capable or not, but it is the best stand alone system I know of. If anyone can help you out with it its probably him.

-Tyler

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
dsm156

I tend to prefer Motec or Autronic if I were to go that route. But I want something that I can pass emissions with legally, well, mostly legal anyway. Rewiring the car or building some hack of an adapter harness is not an option.

I was more looking for a hacked OEM ECU that allowed you to do your own tuning. If these companies selling performance chips are really doing as much as they come across as doing, I'm surprised nobody has gotten out there and released the software needed to hack the ECU fuel and timing maps.

Most people will still pay the professional for tuning, but it gives some of us the chance to blow up our own motors.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
BMWE46Fl

My Ride: 2000 E46 turbo
Send a message via AIM to BMWE46Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm156
I tend to prefer Motec or Autronic if I were to go that route. But I want something that I can pass emissions with legally, well, mostly legal anyway. Rewiring the car or building some hack of an adapter harness is not an option.

I was more looking for a hacked OEM ECU that allowed you to do your own tuning. If these companies selling performance chips are really doing as much as they come across as doing, I'm surprised nobody has gotten out there and released the software needed to hack the ECU fuel and timing maps.

Most people will still pay the professional for tuning, but it gives some of us the chance to blow up our own motors.

you do know the prices for the motec systems right?
04 325ci
04 M3 Vert SMGII-NEW TOY
00 Toyota Camry

BMWE46Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
dsm156

You do know the differences between the systems, right?

Engine management is the single most important factor on a car. I'm surprised to see a car enthusiast board that hasn't gotten around to hacking the ECU so everybody can tune their car.

THAT is when the real progress happens. You can buy turbo kits all day long, until you have the ability to control fuel and spark, you won't get any where. Paying a professional $500 to flash a generic program onto your ecu isn't tuning, it's highway robbery.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
BMWE46Fl

Quote:

Engine management is the single most important factor on a car. I'm surprised to see a car enthusiast board that hasn't gotten around to hacking the ECU so everybody can tune their car.

THAT is when the real progress happens. You can buy turbo kits all day long, until you have the ability to control fuel and spark, you won't get any where. Paying a professional $500 to flash a generic program onto your ecu isn't tuning, it's highway robbery.

yes i do now the difference between the systems, i'm running my car with their M880 ECU and their ADL2 dash so yes i do have some experience with their systems
04 325ci
04 M3 Vert SMGII-NEW TOY
00 Toyota Camry

Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 PM   #9
BMWE46Fl

Quote:

where did you go?
04 325ci
04 M3 Vert SMGII-NEW TOY
00 Toyota Camry

Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
aleksankazakov

My Ride: 04 E46 330i sport
I do not want to hear about SC kits or Turbo kits for E46. They run at the car price. It doesnt make sence to spend 8k cash on 325i and to spend 8k on the supercharger. For 16 k you can own 335i or if you love the body you can have e46 M3 in fair condition.

What I want is to built my own turbocharger kit from parts like used manifolds and used turbo possibly all in good condition. Run an engine management under $-1000 .
Those supercharger companies that monopolized the business say that ebay parts are crap, well I dont need a cast iron manifold with HPF logo on it for one grand if i can buy the same cast iron on ebay for 100 buck.
aleksankazakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
aleksankazakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm156 View Post

YOu have an option too. You can pull out all of the BMW's wiring out and throw it away. You dont need half of that with turbo set anyway. Engine management will need to know your sensors that is it. Your engine throttle position and your ox sensors.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
aleksankazakov

I am thinking if to buy an e46 part car for the project. The first with what i will start is ger read of all the stupid computers . then put my own systems. Who cares if you will not have DSC and all of the rest of the crap like voice dial and instrument cluster.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
aleksankazakov

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=639308 here is how to make ecu learn the boost
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Thanks for bumping a 7 year old thread...buy the kit off ebay and let us know how it works out.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Get Pro EFI its plug N Play and call it a day. no dash lights too!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Thanks for bumping a 7 year old thread...buy the kit off ebay and let us know how it works out.

This.

Put your money (or lack there of) where your mouth is, and show us how it's done; don't forget your dyno.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote