E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Thoughts on 2002 325Xi Suspension Build - FINAL!

Okay guys... I finished my suspension build and wanted to post about it. My original post with what I wanted to do is located HERE!

Basically I have a new suspension. New LCAs, bushings were in great shape... I added Eibach Sport Springs that were supposed to drop 1" in the rear and 1.5" in the front. Also added were the Koni Sport shocks and struts that are made for the Xi. The adjustments made to the rear shocks were 1/2 turn from soft and the fronts were 3/4 turn from soft.

In addition to this new suspension I added brand new VMR VB3 wheels (18X8.5) and new Michelin Sport Pilot A/S tires, size 235/40/18.

Here's the dope.

- After driving home from the shop that installed my springs and shocks I measured the drop. In the rear I went from 26" driveway to top of wheel arch to 25"... On the front the measurement basically stayed at 26.75"... No drop in the front. I have read different things about this (some posted in the original thread toward the end.) but I hope that the front end will relax and drop at least an inch.

- I drove for a day and a half with my stock 205/50/17s with the new suspension. My first impressions were that not much had changed... Until I slammed on the brakes to test it and there was NO front end droop. The same goes for a jack rabbit start. No back end squat at all. The car stays nice and level. Cornering seems to be better but I haven't really put that through its paces yet. More on that later.

- I added the new VB3s. There is a noticeable difference here. It is kind of hard to explain but the smooth roads seem even smoother and the rough roughs seem just a little more harsh. The big shocker was that I drive on I-95 and other roads that are in the process of being repaved. You know, where they grind off the top inch or two of pavement and leave that mottled surface? This was actually a dream to drive on and was fairly quiet. The overall highway experience was awesome. Very smooth! Cutting over to side roads like Pulaski Hwy in northern MD... The bumps in the road are just a little more noticeable but the trade-off for the smoothness overall is a no-brainer! This is a daily driver for me. I didn't want to sacrifice ride quality for cool looks... (When I can have both!)

- The new rims from VMR are awesome. I was a little ticked at first as there were some blemishes from where they were handled and packaged in the warehouse prior to shipping but the blemishes don't show after tire installation. Even the tire tech who mounted the tires noted that they were fairly good quality rims. The wider stance looks great and the wheels come out just a little more than stock to fill out the wheel well. The shorter sidewall is what lets me feel the road a little more. A fair trade I think. I like the more connected feel of this setup.

Overall... I love my new setup. In the past month I have added a new MTech bumper and finished this suspension build. Just a few months ago I did a complete cooling system rebuild. All my regulators are in good shape and the only thing I have left to do is to replace the fuel pump this weekend as a PM job as mine is starting to fail I think. I also need to clean the ICV and check my rubber boots. I have new stuff for that in the garage if needed.

If anyone wants to know what suspension to safely put on their Xi... This is the one!

Pics to follow once it has been detailed.

Thanks to Sam and Kubica for pitching in on my original thread to give some guidance!

Last edited by Big Rick; 07-19-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
No pictures?

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Big Rick

I posted that pics would follow once I detailed it. I'll probably do it tomorrow and miss Bimmerfest... I have way too much stuff to do this weekend to be able to go. I have a ton of parts to go on my car and things to get right plus I have several people coming to look at my Porsche 911 I have for sale. Plus the assorted honey-do items I have put off too long.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
SeattleLSB

Did the front end drop at all? Also, send me the details on your 911!

Old 07-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Nice. Performane shocks (Koni or Bilstein) make a huge difference.

Do the fuel filter at the same time as the pump.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Did the front end drop at all? Also, send me the details on your 911!
Not yet really... I'll PM you a link to Pelican...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Nice. Performane shocks (Koni or Bilstein) make a huge difference.

Do the fuel filter at the same time as the pump.
Yup... I did the filter a few weeks back. The only thing that threw me on the pump was I could not get it to fit with the new gasket so I reused the old one. It was still in good shape and nice and tight...
Old 07-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
SeattleLSB

Thoughts on 2002 325Xi Suspension Build - FINAL!

I just did my filter as well. I pulled the back seat original pump with 190k miles it appears

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app