E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Boomdog

My Ride: BMW 323i 1999 Sedan
Ripped off?

Hi all,

I have a 323i 4 door sedan 99. Had it for about 3-4 years now. A while back it started getting a rattling sound when idling and when I took to the local garage that do my service they said it was the drive belt tensioner (2 of them) and belts.

They charged me $690 for the replacement. After having originally quoted me around $400 for it. I just said do it as it needed to be done and really I just want to sell this car now anyway as it is getting old and I want it working properly before I sell it.

But, was I ripped off. I look at Pelican Parts pricing and I can't see anything that justifies this expense.

They just gave me the receipt from the Eftpos machine too, really I should get an itemized list of what they did. They said they used Continental parts...hmm.

I just want the car running nice, and yea ok I'm not a grease monkey, but it's not an easy job.
I can see it would be a bitch to get in there and replace the belts and pulleys.

So any advice would be nice...was I ripped off on this service.

cheers

Last edited by Boomdog; 07-18-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Boomdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
It's actually not that hard to DIY. It takes a little time, more so if you have an automatic, but you basically paid labor and dealership rates. That's why it's advisable to DIY whenever possible. You could've done your whole cooling system along with the tensioner and belts, and still gone out to dinner afterwards. The definition of ripped off, is subjective. Was it expensive? Very. Was it what any other dealership would've charged? Probably. But you weigh the options of "do I do it myself for cheaper, or is it worth it to me to pay extra to have someone else do it instead". If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, then you can't really say you got ripped off if you choose to have someone else do it. That said, I would've at least tried to find an indy shop that probably would've only charged you half of what you paid. but you do have the ability to list it as a selling point in your For Sale ad I guess -Tensioner and belts replaced by dealership.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Rajvosa

My Ride: M3
would be handy to know what they charged you for labour on its own.

its not a very hard DIY i think, but of course if you cant do it on your own, then you gotta pay someone. try to get itemised receipt so you can see what they charged for parts and labour on their own
Old 07-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
You paid a lot more than you could have, there is no doubt.
This is an easy DIY, if you are inclined and prepared. For a shop that most certainly should be capable of doing this, it's a job that should take an hour to complete.
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Mitch E46

My Ride: M3 Convertible
Pelican parts and in general, US sourced parts are going to be cheaper than Aus sourced parts. That's just how it is. I've got an indie mechanic who lets me supply parts, so it helps when I know what needs replacing.

Mitch E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
spacemaster

My Ride: E46 328i
Those parts are cheap and can source from Clickable. Labour for replacing those are 2 hours max.
As above, would be good if itemize and you can see their ripoff item.
Best should check it here for DIY before sending to mechanic.
spacemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
If they only changed the tensioners and belts then yes you got over charged.
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
LSM3

My Ride: E46 ///M3
Ripped off?

The only question i really have is the justification they gave regarding the price increase from $400 to $690. What was that due to?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2006 CS M3 | ESS Tune : CSL SMG tune : Eisenmann Race : Eibach : Tekarbon
LSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
My guess is they said "hmm...I bet this guy doesn't know how much it's gonna take, let's just up it and see if he opens the wallet farther". If he's an auto, they probably just tacked on extra labor charges for their time, but man, if simply taking the fan off is a $290 bump in labor, for what really only adds what, 5 minutes to the job with the proper tools? eesh.

Yeah, an itemized list would be gobs more helpful to see where you were getting bent over...
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
Ah man you probably didn't get super ripped off. Anyone else would've charged similar
Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
Ah man you probably didn't get super ripped off. Anyone else would've charged similar
I agree - Take a trip to bmw dealership for example

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
Boomdog

My Ride: BMW 323i 1999 Sedan
Thanks for the responses, I'm going to ask him for an itemized receipt on Monday and check with a BMW dealer to see how much the parts are there. I check on an Aussie parts online for Continental parts and I couldn't see anything that justified that expense.
Anyway it's time to sell this car now.