E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
.040 or .140? What fuel are you running at 20 psi with your current setup?
.040" crappy 91 octane. Remember I'm only running around 6 degrees up top @ 20PSI
Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
Did you ever post up your 10psi dyno? I would love to see that run overlaid with your 20psi run.
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events!
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
Did you ever post up your 10psi dyno? I would love to see that run overlaid with your 20psi run.
All I have is a video clip of it dynoed, and at the end it shows the graph.
\/ \/ \/ Click the pic below \/ \/ \/

I would love to see a 20psi run too, but I'm dealing with boost spiking right now, so im playing with the duty cycle and such until I get it right, then I'll dyno it

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 07-05-2013 at 12:31 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
bees323

My Ride: 323ci
Nice work!!!
bees323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #25
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by bees323 View Post
Nice work!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
bimmerguy055

latest pics. If I had a lift I would have taken better quality pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0524.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	517383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0525.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	517384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0526.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	517385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0529.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	517386  

Name:	IMAG0531.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	517387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0532.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	517388  
Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Mctronics

My Ride: BMW
Props to you sir, that's very impressive for a stock 2.5L
Old 07-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #28
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctronics View Post
Props to you sir, that's very impressive for a stock 2.5L
Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Awesome stuff. Congrats on getting your car to a place where I expect very few other 325 owners are at.

This certainly gives me hope for a year or so down the line..I just got the Technique Tuning kit for my 330. But in the end I want to run E85 and a bit more power on the stock block, so I will eventually do ProEFI. Nice to hear that it can be made to work.

-Matt
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
2lgt2qt

My Ride: 325i
Success for Turboed 325

Im curious about the tune

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2lgt2qt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
Awesome stuff. Congrats on getting your car to a place where I expect very few other 325 owners are at.

This certainly gives me hope for a year or so down the line..I just got the Technique Tuning kit for my 330. But in the end I want to run E85 and a bit more power on the stock block, so I will eventually do ProEFI. Nice to hear that it can be made to work.

-Matt
Thanks Matt. I can see why there are rare to find boosted 323s 325s etc due to the small amount of power they have from the factory.

At one point I wanted to do a TT kit from them, but they didn't have a kit (only for 330s at the time) and wanted ~8k for it when I realized your mainly paying for a tune.

After doing extensive research, and my natural way of tweaking things, the technique tuning kit wouldn't be a fit for me anyways. for a couple reasons but I'll just name a few:

- the safety features are only as good as stock (knock control to cut timing) in that setup there is NO fuel pressure safety in the event of pressure drop or loss of a pump completely.

- in the TT kit you cannot tweak the tune if you change your setup, you have to get it retuned by Nick G.

- NO flex support where one can run any mixture of E85 with the ECU making on the fly adjustments to boost, spark, and fueling based on Ethanol content

- tweakable traction control

-Multiple Fault Management strategies to save the engine and alert the driver incase of sensor failure or tuning errors.

There was a 330 at Pro EFI's shop that apparently had all the CAN working with the EMS so there is good hope. Mine is 90% with the CAN, but I'll have to do more R & D to get it to 100%

the list can go on. BTW Pro EFI does not indorse me to talk about their product..

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 07-21-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #32
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lgt2qt View Post
Im curious about the tune
What do you want to know about it?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #33
2lgt2qt

Success for Turboed 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
What do you want to know about it?
Ive been lurking for a while to figure out how, Ive wanted to turbo my 325i for a while. But who tuned it or how did you? How did you build your own kit?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #34
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lgt2qt View Post
Ive been lurking for a while to figure out how, Ive wanted to turbo my 325i for a while. But who tuned it or how did you? How did you build your own kit?
I had a guy in Long beach hold my hand on tuning it. Due to the software difference and inexperience with tuning in general

As-far-as how I built my own kit. I just looked around at m52/e36 builds and got ideas. other than that Ive changed my setup several times A.K.A trial N error. and the ability to be ballsy and just fabricate things on the spot.

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 07-22-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #35
2lgt2qt

Success for Turboed 325

Thats awesome. Sub'd for more info.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #36
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Quote:
Thanks Matt. I can see why there are rare to find boosted 323s 325s etc due to the small amount of power they have from the factory.

At one point I wanted to do a TT kit from them, but they didn't have a kit (only for 330s at the time) and wanted ~8k for it when I realized your mainly paying for a tune.

After doing extensive research, and my natural way of tweaking things, the technique tuning kit wouldn't be a fit for me anyways. for a couple reasons but I'll just name a few:

- the safety features are only as good as stock (knock control to cut timing) in that setup there is NO fuel pressure safety in the event of pressure drop or loss of a pump completely.

- in the TT kit you cannot tweak the tune if you change your setup, you have to get it retuned by Nick G.

- NO flex support where one can run any mixture of E85 with the ECU making on the fly adjustments to boost, spark, and fueling based on Ethanol content

- tweakable traction control

-Multiple Fault Management strategies to save the engine and alert the driver incase of sensor failure or tuning errors.

There was a 330 at Pro EFI's shop that apparently had all the CAN working with the EMS so there is good hope. Mine is 90% with the CAN, but I'll have to do more R & D to get it to 100%

the list can go on. BTW Pro EFI does not indorse me to talk about their product..
The kit was ~6500, and about 2800 for boost controller, pre and post dyno and installation. I don't think that's bad for what's included. Yes, you are paying for a tune. You're paying for R&D as well. It's not a high volume product.

There are things that can be changed without requiring a re-tune. I can up the boost of the kit, or add in ZHP cams without having to have a re-tune.

The DME has a lot of fault management strategies built-in. You do have a good point about not cutting boost if going lean, etc, but in terms of daily drivability, the stock DME is hard to beat. This is especially true on the ZHP cars and cars similar to mine, which has the non-M SMG transmission. We have the MS45 DME, which has a wideband O2 sensor, so it can correct for variances even at full throttle...

The ProEFI is a good unit. If I didn't think so I wouldn't even consider it. It has the potential to deliver a very good calibration, and does have plenty of safety features.

That being said, if I could adapt the MS45 to do flex-fuel and be done with it, I'd probably do it. But since I can't (at least not without *significant* work), the ProEFI does that and more.

Anyway, not trying to de-rail your thread. I am really happy that you're enjoying your car, as that's the ultimate goal. I am interested in your 20 psi results.

-Matt
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #37
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
The kit was ~6500, and about 2800 for boost controller, pre and post dyno and installation. I don't think that's bad for what's included. Yes, you are paying for a tune. You're paying for R&D as well. It's not a high volume product.

There are things that can be changed without requiring a re-tune. I can up the boost of the kit, or add in ZHP cams without having to have a re-tune.

The DME has a lot of fault management strategies built-in. You do have a good point about not cutting boost if going lean, etc, but in terms of daily drivability, the stock DME is hard to beat. This is especially true on the ZHP cars and cars similar to mine, which has the non-M SMG transmission. We have the MS45 DME, which has a wideband O2 sensor, so it can correct for variances even at full throttle...

The ProEFI is a good unit. If I didn't think so I wouldn't even consider it. It has the potential to deliver a very good calibration, and does have plenty of safety features.

That being said, if I could adapt the MS45 to do flex-fuel and be done with it, I'd probably do it. But since I can't (at least not without *significant* work), the ProEFI does that and more.

Anyway, not trying to de-rail your thread. I am really happy that you're enjoying your car, as that's the ultimate goal. I am interested in your 20 psi results.

-Matt
Agreed here is a log of my 20PSI run. I know "potential hp" can be off, but when it dynoed @10psi, the log was not off by much! turbo is apparently pushing 52lbs a min of air
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0508.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	518948  

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 07-28-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #38
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Agreed here is a log of my 20PSI run. I know "potential hp" can be off, but when it dynoed @10psi, the log was not off by much! turbo is apparently pushing 52lbs a min of air
Thanks for posting that.

The question I have is rather complex: What is actual, derived, and estimated in the list of parameters shown?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #39
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Thanks for posting that.

The question I have is rather complex: What is actual, derived, and estimated in the list of parameters shown?
so basically the EMS takes the values of the density of the air (IAT) the manifold pressure, the volumetric efficiency, injector duty cycle(flow tested) etc and then calculates what the MAF would read (not attached) the HP potential (at crank) and even MPG (from injector pulse with)

Attached is one of my logs (notice the TPS is not fully open(85) so the power is not 100% since I have boost spike. the arrow is pointed to the line where I selected (shows the data at that given point on the right)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	519006  

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 07-28-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #40
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
How long do you think stock guts will last making 500 ponys?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote