E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2004, 10:26 AM   #1
sfzBimmer2

My Ride: '05 Ducati Monster
Your favorite track

I saw this thread on DTM Power, and thought I'd start it up over here. Basically, what is your favorite track and why?

I've only been to VIR, Carolina Motorsports Park and Sebring. Of those three, I like VIR the best. It's one of the classiest run organizations I've been to. It's got a great track surface with elevation changes, and the surroundings are absolutely beautiful. Plus, the restauarant at the patio serves better food than most other tracks. It is really the "world class organization" they call themselves.
sfzBimmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:08 AM   #2
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

My Ride: 2000 328Ci(e46)
I have not been to tracks out there but the ones I have been to I must say it is a tie between California speedway and Buttonwillow. I have been to Willos springs, Phoenix, Vegas, Laguna Seca, Lime Rock and soon to sears Point. These two tracks have phenomenal hospitality and service especially California Speedway but Buttonwillow is more technical. But if you like nature as some doo Laguna Seca takes the Cake...
Old 04-22-2004, 06:56 AM   #3
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Lime Rock Park
Bridgehampton
Pocono North
Pocono South
Summit Point
Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point
Carolina Motorsport Park
Road Atlanta
Roebling Road

Lime Rock is my "home" track and one of my favorites. If I had to pick another, I'd say CMP was my favorite due to the challenging layout. I'm sure that VIR will be at the top of the list after I get to drive it once or twice.

Ed

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:18 AM   #4
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
Special route 11

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
jmsanders78

My Ride: 328i, Z4
Grattan. Grattan has a couple of fantastic blind corners and a wicked elevation change that gets my pulse up. Road America is probably my second favorite.
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
mathews

My Ride: 02 m3
Raceway Park in English Town N.J. They have only one left hand turn, the turn off lane at the far end.
mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:10 PM   #7
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

My Ride: nada
Lime Rock
VIR

but with summer around the corner, its time to find a new one...
MillsBims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #8
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

I would love to go to road america or mid ohio those tracks look rad. and lets not forget sebring..
Old 05-07-2004, 02:28 AM   #9
xS3x
mi casa @ technik

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
I've only been to willow springs and button willow..and i have to say button willow is my favorite even though I'm faster at willow springs
Old 05-08-2004, 01:52 AM   #10
Jim2004M3

My Ride: 04 M3
Favorite Tracks

Let's see, I have run Lime Rock, NHIS, Pocono,
Watkins Glen, Mosport, Shannonville, Mt. Tremblant, VIR, Summit Pt, Road Atlanta, Savannah, Pittsburgh (Schenley Park) and Bridgehampton on the east coast and only Buttowillow, Willow Springs and CA Speedway since moving west. Also Bondurant's course in Phoenix, Silverstone Rally School in the UK. Looking forward to Laguna Seca, Sears Pt. and Thunderhill. Might have forgotten a few over all those years.

Lime Rock is pretty but too short - lapping at a minute gets boring, even thought the downhill is one of the most intimidating corners anywhere. If only they had added the section John Fitch wanted beyond Big Bend. Second worst weather to Pocono - was snowed on a couple of times there.

NHIS was convenient to Boston but a bit "mickey mouse." I say that althought it was the place I got my most satisfying victory beating all the big bore cars after they bumped me up to that class because I was too fast! Speedway road courses are hard to make interesting.

I like Watkins Glen, especially the short course - the old F1 course - as it is really fast. I remember racing side by side with a 2002 in the bus stop. The esses are awesome! I say that even though I had a major engine detonation (holes in both sides of the block) coming out of them a few years ago that finally squashed my interest in vintage cars.

Savannah is fast and fun, great scenery in the southern pines. One of my cars had its first victory there in 1967 (with my brother driving).

VIR has been nicely redone, but is a hard track to pass on. Is it me or is it really narrow? The kink in the pit straight is a challenge to fast cars.

Road Atlanta is a very challenging track, but I understand less so since the "dip" has been removed. No more turn throught the bridge. The downhill RH turn onto the pit straight is a "wow"- or a "high pucker factor" for novices.

Mt. Tremblant has the best layout for a track and the best local ambience and food - like racing in the Alps.

Mosport has some very tricky turns - like Moss corner and turn 2 which is downhill and off camber. Hard to get right but satisfying when you do. Wrote off a car there in '93 when a trailing arm broke. The beginning of my concern over vintage race cars...Also has the biggest mosquitos.

Pocono has the worst weather imaginable! Year round. 135 on the banking in driving rain in an open car tests your mettle - or sanity.

Bridgehampton closing was a big loss to racing - one tough track to master and requires the same courage as Road Atlanta on the downhill straight. Seemed to rain or storm every trip on Sat nite. Second best local restaurants.

Summit Pt. offers the biggest challenge to brakes - 130 to 55 in my vintage Alfa at turn 1. Bill Scott is the greatest track owner.

Willow Springs has character and speed, but it needs an optional chicane at turn 8 to allow us to slow students down.

Buttonwillow is a technical track and I enjoy running the track in both directions. Thank heaven for the buldozer hills to break up the flatness.

Having written this, I'd say that the parts I like the most on tracks are combinations of elevation changes and turns; next fast sweepers and transitions. I dislike slow hairpins.

So the favorite (trumpets, please) is Mt. Tremblant.
Jim2004M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:16 AM   #11
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

damn dude you have driven most of the tracks in the U.S. Im going to buttonwillow if you care to go you can sign up at www.nasaproracing.com..
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
mko9

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
Searching some other stuff in the Motorsport & Track forum and stumbled across this.

I have run Lime Rock, VIR Full Course, VIR Grand Course, Summit Point Main, and Summit Point Shenandoah here in the States. I have also run Donington Park, Snetterton, and Bedford Autodrome in the UK. It is very close between VIR and Donington Park. Both tracks flow really well, and are a lot of fun. I guess my favorite is VIR Full Course, as it is a longer lap and higher speeds on the straights. Down in San Antonio now and really looking forward to COTA.

'04 BMW 330i ZHP
'08 Audi TT Roadster
'13 Land Rover LR4
mko9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
S54Dan

My Ride: '05 M3 '03 ZHP
Vir

2005 M3 6MT | Weekend toy & Track rat
2003 330i ZHP 6MT | Wife Mobile
1994 325i 5MT | DD
Instagram @S54Dan
S54Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Feffman

My Ride: Four-Door
I've driven:

Blackhawk Farms
Putnam Park
Autobahn Country Club
Road America
Hallett
Circuit of The Americas
Road Atlanta
Summit Point (Both courses)
Heartland Park
Gateway International
Mid-Ohio
Mid-America Motorplex

So far, I like Road Atlanta the best as it has a great rhythm.

Feff

Last edited by Feffman; 07-26-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Feffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
badfast

My Ride: A Car
My two favorite tracks:

Nurburgring
Mid-Ohio

I really want to get to Watkins Glen.

Last edited by badfast; 07-31-2013 at 02:44 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Buttonwillow, but I haven't been to Chuckwalla yet.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
Hardmotorsport
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
The Ridge
http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com
Hardmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
My favorite track is Firebird - East.....since that's where Im fastest at hahaha. Definitely going to visit other tracks in the near future, hopefully INDE in October and maybe Chuckwalla in 2014.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46techtuner View Post
My favorite track is Firebird - East.....since that's where Im fastest at hahaha. Definitely going to visit other tracks in the near future, hopefully INDE in October and maybe Chuckwalla in 2014.
The thing I love about PHX. You guys have like 3 tracks and 400 configurations.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
^hahaha

Right now in Arizona there is:

http://arizonamotorsportspark.com/
http://www.bondurant.com/
http://www.indemotorsports.com/site/ ...which has many configurations
http://www.racewildhorse.com/ ...just changed name from Firebird International Raceway(has 3 different tracks)
http://www.p1kartcircuit.com/ ...its a kart track but they have car track events often