E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
DylanFulton7

My Ride: 545i/6
Question 328Ci Hard Start and Power Loss

Over the last coupe of weeks, intermittently the car will crank over for a few seconds (as opposed to firing right away like normal) when the long cranks happen I experience a serious loss in bottom end power until about 2500 RMP, then all of the power comes back to normal. This seems to only happen in the afternoon or after the car is hot. If I shut the car down for a minute or so the car fires right away and my power is back to normal. After a bit of searching I was convinced that it was my fuel pump so I replaced that today but it's no better, I also replaced my fuel filter about 2 months ago so I can't imagine it would be that. The car isn't throwing any codes when the long cranks happen either so I'm running out of ideas of what the problem could be...

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
- Jeremy Clarkson

Supercharged 328Ci - SOLD
C32 AMG - SOLD
E53 X5 - SOLD

Last edited by DylanFulton7; 07-22-2013 at 08:50 PM.
DylanFulton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Check the battery voltage with the OBC after the car starts (when it runs bad), maybe there is a short, or bad connection somewhere causing voltage drop when hot.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
DylanFulton7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Check the battery voltage with the OBC after the car starts (when it runs bad), maybe there is a short, or bad connection somewhere causing voltage drop when hot.
I'll give it a shot but like I said the CEL doesn't come on when it happens, I guess there's no harm in trying anyway though

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
E53 X5 - SOLD
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I have the same exact problem with mine as well, maybe a couple times over the last few weeks. Haven't had a chance to diagnose further, due to other maintenance and time constraints. If you find any information, please share! I'll try to keep vigilant next time and see what I can measure.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
DylanFulton7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
I have the same exact problem with mine as well, maybe a couple times over the last few weeks. Haven't had a chance to diagnose further, due to other maintenance and time constraints. If you find any information, please share! I'll try to keep vigilant next time and see what I can measure.
Will do! If I find some sort of magic solution (not holding my breath) I'll post it here for a reference.

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
E53 X5 - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
CharlzO

Re: 328Ci Hard Start and Power Loss

I got it to do it again today, immediately checked voltage, and it all was normal. I'm going to try changing out the battery in the next week or two, since its still original. Might as well before it does due either way. I've also done the intake cam sensor about three weeks ago. Haven't done the exhaust side yet. Doing fuel filter this weekend, not expecting much change though since it does run fine after restarting. It is puzzling for sure. Wish I had enough time to scan it today but was running behind.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
CharlzO

Ok, so to follow up..today, did it after I drove to town. So I shut it off after it was on about a minute, and restarted it. Still seemed to take a little longer to crank, AND, the engine light came on. So, scanned the codes, and...P0340... Intake Cam Position Sensor...so, went back and looked, and I ended up getting the cheap one when I replaced mine, instead of the OEM version. This is where I invoked Homer Simpson.. DOH! Very possible it's given up already, based on other posts about the cheap sensors. Sent the company en e-mail about it, doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'm gonna go ahead and order the OEM one this weekend, and see if that solves it next week. Glad it's not too hard to change out. I'll let ya know if it fixes me up.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
DylanFulton7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Ok, so to follow up..today, did it after I drove to town. So I shut it off after it was on about a minute, and restarted it. Still seemed to take a little longer to crank, AND, the engine light came on. So, scanned the codes, and...P0340... Intake Cam Position Sensor...so, went back and looked, and I ended up getting the cheap one when I replaced mine, instead of the OEM version. This is where I invoked Homer Simpson.. DOH! Very possible it's given up already, based on other posts about the cheap sensors. Sent the company en e-mail about it, doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'm gonna go ahead and order the OEM one this weekend, and see if that solves it next week. Glad it's not too hard to change out. I'll let ya know if it fixes me up.
Well in light of the codes that you got I went out to the scrap yard this morning and grabbed 3 sensors for $10. I popped it on, started the car and let it warm up then shut it off a few times and it fired up no problem so I took it for a spin around the block and shut it off a few more times and still fired up right away. I'm hoping that this was the fix, if it was I'll order a new sensor from Pelican Parts or something, I just didn't want to dump $100 plus shipping for a "maybe". Anyway for those who may not know how to replace it here's a really good DIY ( http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=909766 ). So fingers crossed this is the solution

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
E53 X5 - SOLD
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
DylanFulton7

Still haven't had any problems since installing the new sensor, I'd say that it was definitely the problem. Good luck everyone!

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
E53 X5 - SOLD
Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
CharlzO

Awesome to hear. Mine should be here this weekend, can't wait to swap it out.