E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
sannouni

My Ride: 2005 330XI
AUC (Recirculation) Sensor Question

I got a code (AUC Heating) from PA Soft..... I tried cleaning the AUC sensor as per (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=auc+heating), my sensor looks a little different than the one in the DIY (body looks the same, but the sensor itself is not pointing outwards, it's pointing to the side of the housing)

Welll..... i'm still getting the code

should i give it a shot with some MAF cleaner or Brake parts Cleaner , has anyone done this ?? (cleaning the sensor using a vaporizing liquid instead of compressed air)

the part is available here (http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...7001/ES176686/) but i dont want to spend the money without making sure that the sensor is faulty beyond repair

Here is how the sensor works (http://www.figarosensor.com/products/822pdf.pdf) and here (https://www.appliedsensor.com/pdfs/A...VBeyondCO2.pdf)

again, i dont have much experience with Air Quality Sensors... any input would be appreciated...

Edit: the code is (AUC Heating)

Last edited by sannouni; 07-28-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: putting the exact code from PA Soft
sannouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
AUC (Recirculation) Sensor Question

The sensor has a finite life and needs to be replaced.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
sannouni

thanks for the response scottjoh, but really, everything i know of has a finite life...

I'm trying to conclude (and to be certain) that the sensor is faulty and in fact in need of replacement... one thing that could cause the the code, for example, could be that there is a conductive film that developed over the two terminals shorting the heating element, that is why i was asking if anyone has experience cleaning it using a more aggressive method (brake cleaner, electric contact cleaner, or i think more suitably, MAF cleaner)... one fact that is making me doubt that the sensor is faulty is that the production date is 03/09/2004 (printed on the sensor housing), which makes it one of the newer units in terms of age (there are ones from 1999 that are still functioning in E46s all over the world)

in any case, i have nothing to loose, ill try to clean it using a Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner, and plug it back, if it works, then i'll report back, if not, then i'll just order a new one...
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
sannouni

just to follow up, tried cleaning it with MAF cleaner, nothing helped, code still shows up... ordered a new sensor from ECS (Part number: 64116917001)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannouni View Post
just to follow up, tried cleaning it with MAF cleaner, nothing helped, code still shows up
So let me get this straight. This delicate tin dioxide thin film detector which can detect extremely low concentration of VOCs, as low as 50 parts per Million, was just completely bathed in the very chemicals it is trying to detect. I would say that that isn't going to help it any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannouni View Post
I'm trying to conclude (and to be certain) that the sensor is faulty and in fact in need of replacement... one thing that could cause the the code, for example, could be that there is a conductive film that developed over the two terminals shorting the heating element, that is why i was asking if anyone has experience cleaning it using a more aggressive method (brake cleaner, electric contact cleaner, or i think more suitably, MAF cleaner)... one fact that is making me doubt that the sensor is faulty is that the production date is 03/09/2004 (printed on the sensor housing), which makes it one of the newer units in terms of age (there are ones from 1999 that are still functioning in E46s all over the world)
The sensor is very similar to that used in CO (carbon monoxide) detectors which Figaro also makes. These sensors wear out and must be changed periodically. The home CO detectors makers used to sell replacement sensors, but, now that many states require them they just suggest that they entire unit be replaced very so often. Recommended change interval is something like 3-5 years.

I have a 1999 E46 and will never complain that my AUC sensor isn't working. You know why, because my car doesn't have that sensor. The AUC sensor is only used on cars where the HVAC control unit has two circles with an "A" on the recirculate button. My car only has a since circle and no "A". I don't know when the Automatic Recirculated Air Control got phased in or if it was an option. I know that all US bound E46s got Automatic HVAC, but, that only regulates the temperature and varies the fan speed automatically. In other parts of the world Automatic HVAC was an option and the cars without it got a control unit with two big knobs. One for hot air/cold air mixture and one for fan speed. The good thing about that system is there is no final stage resistor to go bad.

Last edited by scottjoh; 07-24-2013 at 10:43 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
sannouni

good points scottjoh... i was loosing the sensor anyway, so i tried with the most aggressive treatment i can give (without making things worse)

most of the E46s in Canada that i've seen had that sensor...

i dont want to jinx the FSR/FSU but it's working well so far...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
sannouni

again, just for the record, in case someone comes searching for this, the part costed less than a $50... after installation, and deleting the error... everything worked fine... error has not yet come back (it used to show up right after i delete the codes, or within one A/C control unit re-start)
Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Augster

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport
I noticed this error code in my system while checking it for another issue and wasn't sure what the error indicated or what component to examine. Glad this thread came up at the right moment!
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote