E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
Evil-Elmo

My Ride: 2003 E46 325i
I'll certainly be interested to know if this fixes the problem for you. I suspect it's probably a combination of factors... something our cars have and the fuel. Otherwise everyone would be complaining about the Caltex 98 (which used to be fine in our golf). If the Shell 98 doesn't help, in the interest of science maybe try the BP?
Evil-Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
kook

My Ride: F20 125i
I've used nothing but Shell V-Power 98 from the day I bought my car. Its also had a few bottles of Liqui Moly fuel injection cleaner. Some say its snake oil, I'd say I think that stuff actually helped smoothed things out a bit. Shove a bottle of that in as well, you can get it at supercheap

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/products/fuel-additives/
SOLD : 2005 Le Mans Blue M3
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Fuel injector cleaner is one of the only anything-additives that actually does something.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #24
Alpine

My Ride: 2002 E46 BMW 330Ci
OK, I've refilled with almost a full tank of Shell V-Power 98. Took it for a bit of a burn to start getting the V-Power circulating. Will see how it goes this week! Wish me luck...

I'll also look into getting some of that fuel system cleaner stuff too. What is the difference between the Liqui Moly FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER / CONDITIONER and Liqui Moly FUEL INJECTION CLEANER?

Last edited by Alpine; 07-12-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #25
kook

Not sure, but I'd try the just the injector cleaner first. Seems as though it actually seemed to make the car run a bit smoother/more responsive. I put 2 cans in over 2 separate fills. Whack it in with your full tank of Vpower
Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
aznstyler

My Ride: 330ci
hey mate, did you fix the problem? i had the same problem. i replaced all my plugs & ran a bottle of injector cleaner and problem was gone. i had a mechanic look over it and it was either #1 dirty injectors #2 coils #3 plugs
aznstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #27
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznstyler View Post
hey mate, did you fix the problem? i had the same problem. i replaced all my plugs & ran a bottle of injector cleaner and problem was gone. i had a mechanic look over it and it was either #1 dirty injectors #2 coils #3 plugs
I only put V-Power 98 in it yesterday, so still too soon to tell. I plan to pick up some injector cleaner tomorrow as well and pop it in. I will know during this week if it has made a difference.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #28
baydogg

My Ride: 2000 325ci
Im keen to here about this. As I've experience the same problem as well. I've change my Head Gasket Valve rubber (was missing a corner of it) thinking that this could of cause the problem. But I've had it happen a couple of times but can't remember what fuel I was using. There's a BP, Shell, Apco and Caltex all close to home.

Located in Geelong so not all that big of a town.
baydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
Alpine

Mid-week update:

Car has started perfectly from cold every time so far this week! Still a very slight wobble on idle when cold (which I think has actually smoothened out compared to before) but it has not stalled immediately like my video shows.

All I have done is stopped filling with Caltex 98 and instead filled with Shell V-Power 98, and poured in a can of Liqui Moly Fuel Injection Cleaner two days later.

If the car continues to behave for the rest of this week then there is definitely something about Caltex 98 which my E46 does not agree with!! The Liqui Moly perhaps helped abit as well.

Will continue to monitor how it goes for the rest of this week.

Last edited by Alpine; 07-16-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #30
kook

Run it to empty again, give it another full tank of Vpower and at the same time add another can of Liqui-Moly injection cleaner. That should sort it...
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #31
Evil-Elmo

Thanks for the update. I'm glad I've (hopefully) helped and glad that I'm not the only one (nor going crazy)! I haven't run injector cleaner through but may after some of the comments here.

I wonder why some people have no problem with Caltex 98 and we do... whether it's that we're both in Brisbane (same fuel), or something wrong with our cars? I tried googling for it a while back and it didn't seem to be common at all. Anyway, as long as it's resolved, that's the main thing!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #32
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Elmo View Post
Thanks for the update. I'm glad I've (hopefully) helped and glad that I'm not the only one (nor going crazy)! I haven't run injector cleaner through but may after some of the comments here.

I wonder why some people have no problem with Caltex 98 and we do... whether it's that we're both in Brisbane (same fuel), or something wrong with our cars? I tried googling for it a while back and it didn't seem to be common at all. Anyway, as long as it's resolved, that's the main thing!
Yeah, thanks for your help!

It still beats me why it should matter though, and why our cars should be so sensitive to it, coz it shouldn't be.

Which Caltex service station did you fill up at?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #33
Evil-Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Which Caltex service station did you fill up at?
Caltex Woolworths Mitchelton. I don't know of any Shell's nearby so figured you probably use a different Caltex?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #34
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Elmo View Post
Caltex Woolworths Mitchelton. I don't know of any Shell's nearby so figured you probably use a different Caltex?
Haha, yeah - Caltex Kenmore for me
Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #35
Alpine

One week update:

Still continues to start perfectly fine when cold whilst on V-Power 98. The previous symptom as shown in the video would have surely occurred by now. I'm sticking with V-Power!! Still beats me why it would be so different though, but whatever works works.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #36
brett05

My Ride: 325Ci
That's a good result.
brett05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #37
matt0

My Ride: 318i e46
I would go with MAF or ignition coils. Have the coils ever been replaced?
matt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #38
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
One week update:

Still continues to start perfectly fine when cold whilst on V-Power 98. The previous symptom as shown in the video would have surely occurred by now. I'm sticking with V-Power!! Still beats me why it would be so different though, but whatever works works.
could be more that the injector cleaner has done its job,and seeing your video our cars both have similar k's on the clock so I will be trying some of that injector cleaner to see if that fixes my cold wobbly idle,incidentally,changing the subject,did you ever fix your dynavin problem?,if I remember correctly you had some sort of wiring issues with it a while back.
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #39
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
could be more that the injector cleaner has done its job,and seeing your video our cars both have similar k's on the clock so I will be trying some of that injector cleaner to see if that fixes my cold wobbly idle,incidentally,changing the subject,did you ever fix your dynavin problem?,if I remember correctly you had some sort of wiring issues with it a while back.
I was running V-Power 98 for two days before I poured the injector cleaner in, and in those two days it also started up fine from cold. So who knows...probably a combination of both? I'll just stick with V-Power as Shell is equally as convenient from my place as Caltex is and they take the discount vouchers from Coles.

I never fixed the Dynavin problem, kinda gave up after I took it to a reputable car stereo shop and their solution was half baked and wasn't really what I was comfortable with. But if a local Dynavin & E46 expert who knows exactly what to do offers his/her help to get it working for me, then I'm certainly all ears!

Last edited by Alpine; 07-25-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #40
Degrees

My Ride: BMW 320i
My car had the exact same problem as yours for quite some time. Every now and then it would stall when I tried to start and the whole car would wobble around while idling.

I would say with certainly it's time to replace your camshaft position sensors. Do both the exhaust and intake sensors, pelican parts has them for really cheap. You can do it yourself quite quickly, though access can be a pain. Do this before you spend money on anything else.
Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote