E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #561
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
No. The only thing you can take advantage of is our 10% off coupon code.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #562
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Which is still an awesome deal for this kit, btw! I couldn't pass up the chance when I got it, even without any other promotions.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #563
SBPhil

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46runsPCB View Post
Yes. You can remove the nut on the front coils without any compression. When removing I would still be a little cautious because with the mount on there is a little pressure on the spring I believe, but not enough to kill you. I would recommend adjusting your coils to the lowest setting so there is as minimal pressure on the spring as possible before removing the nut to be safe. But when I installed the new mounts on the new coils, no compressor was needed. Just be sure you DON'T FORGET THAT WASHER. Otherwise you could get the clunking noise

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm getting clunking sounds from what I believe are the helper springs binding when I make a turn at low speeds. If I lift the car and remove the wheel the noise is practically gone when I steer, so I don't think its the assembly since I had it done at a shop. I ordered new FSMs since the shop recommended them and they are worn. Does anyone know if this will resolve it or do I need something else like a washer? The noise isn't as bad as the creak which is continuous as you turn, its only about 3 or 4 pops when I spin the wheel around. I'll try to get a video on my car tomorrow but its making this exact sound.

The issue they had was the assemble but I'm pretty sure that isn't it.
Aside from this, I would definitely say these coilovers are great for the money.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
SBPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #564
CharlzO

Just a guess, but it's possible (I guess?) that if your front mounts are worn, and not able to allow for a smooth movement, that it's allowing it to kinda of catch, and cause it. I would be surprised if it didn't clear up after you replace them.

Edit: Another thing you could try, is put the car on a jack stand on that side, remove your wheel, but jack up the control arm with a jack to put some pressure on the assembly and see what happens then (obviously don't jack it high enough to move it off the jack stand).

Last edited by CharlzO; 07-25-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #565
bad91teg

My Ride: 2000 323i
got mine on the way . hey kris or anyone that can answer. i have 19" x 8" wheels.the offset is 38 ...do u think i will need to buy spacers ? trying to figure this out so i can order them if needed ? thanks for any help !!

Last edited by bad91teg; 07-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.
bad91teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #566
CharlzO

You're gonna want at least 5mm on the front. If my calculations are right, you'll be about...1mm clear of the strut, if that. I'm on 7.5 inch wheels, with a 40 offset, and had about 5mm clearance. And by the 1010 calculator, you'll have 4mm less than I do, so I would go with at least 5s on the front. I'd say 10s, but it might be close on the fender at that point. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more definitive answers

Last edited by CharlzO; 07-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #567
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBPhil View Post
I'm getting clunking sounds from what I believe are the helper springs binding when I make a turn at low speeds. If I lift the car and remove the wheel the noise is practically gone when I steer, so I don't think its the assembly since I had it done at a shop. I ordered new FSMs since the shop recommended them and they are worn. Does anyone know if this will resolve it or do I need something else like a washer? The noise isn't as bad as the creak which is continuous as you turn, its only about 3 or 4 pops when I spin the wheel around. I'll try to get a video on my car tomorrow but its making this exact sound.

Aside from this, I would definitely say these coilovers are great for the money.
Getting similar sounds but in more frequency. See my video some posts ahead.
For me, replacing the Front shock mounts didnt do any good. Still have the same sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad91teg View Post
got mine on the way . hey kris or anyone that can answer. i have 19" x 8" wheels.the offset is 38 ...do u think i will need to buy spacers ? trying to figure this out so i can order them if needed ? thanks for any help !!
I am on 17 x8" 47 offset wheels with 10mm spacers at front, effectively making it 37 offset. No rubbing on all the way low as well.
I am pretty sure you wont need the spacers.
But a lot depends on choice of tires too. If you are using standard size tires for 19's on e46, you wont need spacers.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #568
bad91teg

im running 235/35/19 tires .. thank u for your help
Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #569
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

To the guy having the noises can you please provide me the following:

Hub to fender measurements front and rear
when did you last replace your top mounts?
1-888-230-1288
Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #570
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBPhil View Post

That video noise is the top mounts. My E60 did that when my top mounts were shot. Here is a link to read over about clunks that I created.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...204&highlight=
1-888-230-1288
Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #571
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
*Street Edge Coilovers Review *

^+1 on top mounts

Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #572
trj

*Street Edge Coilovers Review *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
To the guy having the noises can you please provide me the following:

Hub to fender measurements front and rear
when did you last replace your top mounts?
I will take the measurements later after work. I replaced the mounts July 3rd thinking the noise was from the old mounts I reused.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #573
CharlzO

Re: *Street Edge Coilovers Review *

Double checked the washer in the front between the unit and mount? Just throwing out ideas.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #574
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Double checked the washer in the front between the unit and mount? Just throwing out ideas.
Yes this is another thing to check. Go over the items included in this link here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...204&highlight=
1-888-230-1288
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #575
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
Yes this is another thing to check. Go over the items included in this link here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...204&highlight=
That link is for the main forum page.
I do have the link, I am sure you meant this one:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=clunking

The link to check the height:
http://www.s45inc.com/files/Coilover-Measurements.pdf

Here is what I checked this weekend:
And re-checked the torque on every nut and bolt.

Every possible hardware is new, except for the control arms. I am not changing the control arms because the ball joints are firm and is showing no degradation.
Stock style 44 wheels with 225/45/17 sumitomo htr z III tires.

Front:
New ECS tuning 10mm hub centric spacers with extended bolts.
New Front shock mounts.
New washer between the strut body and shock mounts.
All new bolts.
3 nuts on the shock mount to shock tower tightened at 27ft lbs.
one 22mm nut on the strut tightened to 37ft lbs.
New melye HD FCABs with new bolts(tightened to spec)
8 new bolts on the subframe reinforcement plate(tightened to spec)
New Endlinks provided with the street edge kit.
New sway bar bushings.

Rear:
New ECS tuning 15mm hub centric spacers with extended bolts.
New Meyle HD M3 Rear shock mounts with z3 reinforcement plates.
New Meyle HD RTABs with limiters.
All new nuts and bolts(torqued to spec).

So here are the measurements from the outside.

Front:
Adjustment: Coils set almost all the way down, with one thread remaining.(almost lowest)
Height measurement: from center of the wheel(center of center cap) to the bottom edge of fender: 12.5"

rear:
Adjustment: Coils set almost all the way up, with one thread remaining. (almost highest)
Height measurement: from center of the wheel to the bottom edge of fender: 11.5 "

I am still getting the creaking/grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel, this is from the driver's side front wheel.

Another question:
Why is the rear height lower than the front even on the highest position?
I know I need to get the part numbers from the springs and perches to Kris for confirmation, but it is really annoying to remove the suspension every weekend and still not fix the issue. I work full time and I am a full time graduate student, so spare time is not something I have.
I did not remove the wheels this weekend to check on the spring and perch numbers because it was raining. May be next weekend.

I am happy with the ride comfort, but the creaking noise and ride height is annoying me. There was no noise for about a month, but then it started.
PS: the creaking noise when turning the wheel is louder and more pronounced when the temperature is above 90 degrees. So, looks like the temperature is also playing a role in this.

Advice?

I am going to change all 4 rear ball joints soon, so I would like to take care of whatever is making that noise and the ride height before I go to get another alignment(they are not cheap).

Edit: Added a picture of how it sits right now.

Before: On sports suspension

Last edited by trj; 07-30-2013 at 03:46 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #576
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
I was just about to order a set of these especially considering there's great customer service but then I saw something that made me question that...

Quote:
This Kit Fits:

BMW 1998 E46 Sedan+Coupe 323i(s)+325i+328i(s)+330i V6

BMW 1999 E46 Sedan+Coupe 323i(s)+325i+328i(s)+330i V6

BMW 2000 E46 Sedan+Coupe 323i(s)+325i+328i(s)+330i V6

BMW 2001 E46 Sedan+Coupe 323i(s)+325i+328i(s)+330i V6

BMW 2002 E46 Sedan+Coupe 323i(s)+325i+328i(s)+330i V6

BMW 2003 E46 Sedan+Coupe 323i(s)+325i+328i(s)+330i V6

etc etc
Well, looks like these don't fit any BMW's considering BMW doesn't make V6's and never has....

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 08-01-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #577
bad91teg

got mine a few days ago . bought new shock tops before install. thanks to everyone posting tips and potential problems. this thread convinced me to buy these .so thanks everyone. and after reading this thread from front to back 2 times, i hoping i can install these correct.lol. im not worried being the customer service is so good and all the help from this thread .thanks everybody
Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #578
CharlzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
I was just about to order a set of these especially considering there's great customer service but then I saw something that made me question that...

Well, looks like these don't fit any BMW's considering BMW doesn't make V6's and never has....
el. oh. el. This was actually mentioned back at the beginning of the thread. However, if after all the reviews and feedback in the thread, you find it necessary to pass on them simply over a typo on a website, that is your prerogative.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #579
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

I will admit some of our car data is a bit off. These will fit ALL E46 models expect the compact.
1-888-230-1288
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #580
displayorder

My Ride: bmw360
Iíve been looking just for this article for so long!!
displayorder is offline   Reply With Quote