E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 193 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #1681
bryan767

My Ride: 325i
Update: 100% working 1.4 scanner on Windows 7 Home 64bit native ^.^

First I take no responsibility if you fry your computer.. however these are the exact steps I took to get 1.4 running on my computer

Okay so it took me about 5 hours trying to install XPMode on Windows 7 when I finally tried to go rogue and reattempt at installing the software on windows 7. It took awhile but make sure you install > http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20828_Setup.exe once this is on your system your computer should recognize the BMW scanner in your device manager as "BMWscanner14x" or something along those lines with a yellow "!". From here you right click to update driver, browse my computer, let me pick from a list, select "USB serial bus controller", then on the next screen scroll down to FTDI chipset. It will warn you that hell will freeze over and your computer will break - proceed, Now go back into your device manager and OH NOES the BMWscanner14x device is no longer in the device manager.. but there is a NEW com port listed with an "!".. again right click, update driver. Follow the same steps as before and to install the FTDI drivers onto the com port.

Once all is done, open up PA.Soft and get to coding!

Last edited by bryan767; 07-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
bryan767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #1682
Augster

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
I wish there was an EXPORT option so you could save the list of error codes in at least a simple text file, if not a CSV (Comma Separated Values) text file, that could then be manipulated or imported into Excel; even a PRINT option would suffice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
As I recall PA Soft/BMW Scanner actually stores logs each time iti s used. I cannot recall where the default is, however, you should be able to navigate from the C drive to the PA Soft/BMW Scanner folder and find the logs which are saved in a .txt file format.
I finally got around to snooping for these logs but could not find any such files either in the BMW Scanner Program Files (x86) directory nor in my home directory.

When I select the menu "View Log" I get either the error, "Failed to set data for ''", or if Notepad launches, its error, "The system cannot find the path specified."

So it may be that I have to create a directory first, perhaps. In the meantime, I'm resorting to "Print Screen" to capture the results.
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #1683
Joan Lynn

My Ride: 2000 323i
I finally got my scanner software to work on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop but am having the following issues, when connected and opening up the program I am getting both an "IKE" and "EWS" failed to connect error. My ride is a 2000 323i that was produced in Sept 1999 and it has both the 20 and 16 pin connectors, I also use a Peake SR/5 reset tool which works fine in both of the two connectors but my SR/5 ABS tool will only work on the 20 pin connector. It's obvious that the car is not talking to the software so, will jumping leads 7 and 8 on my scanning tool allow the software to communicate with my car or will I have to get an adapter cable so I can plug the scan tool into the 20 pin connector?
Joan Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #1684
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
most likely, you need the adapter for the 20 pin connection.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #1685
Joan Lynn

Thanks already got one ordered through Amazon.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #1686
Joan Lynn

Try unplugging and plugging in the dongle a few times on your USB port that's what I had to do for mine to get it to work. After a few attempts the laptop was finally about to detect the dongle. There is an older post on the threads somewhere here that had a lot simpler explanation on how to get the software to run under Windows 7 I tried it and it worked for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #1687
bryan767

So I finally got my codes ran, and here they are. Is it possible to code the ABS module with PA soft? I believe that my abs module is not coded which is causing me to get speed sensor and steering angle errors. Thus resulting in the three lights on.

DME* -> 281D/62 - BSD generator: signal
2806/68 - Driving speed regulation: time limit data transmission reached
281C/64 - Bit serial data interface (BSD): signal
276D/88 - Function-check tank venting
2788/A8 - Vehicle speed
2987/A1 - Lambdasensor before cat bank2: systemcheck
2883/D1 - Mixture preparation bank2

ABS* -> 5E1F/A0 - PT-CAN chassis number wrong / ECU not initialized.
5E16/20 - CAN Timeout instrument cluster
5DF4/20 - Vehicle power < 9 Volt.
5E40/E0 - Steering angle sensor Signal not plausible, Offset.
5DC0/E0 - Wheel speed sensor rear right electrical faulty.

IKE -> CE/61 - Outside-temperature sensor
BF/78 - Internal fault, EEPROM checksum 1 (BMW-section), coding incorrect/incomplete

Thanks in advanced!
bryan767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #1688
Cvale127

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
I have been suffering from a KBUS issue for over a month, but I think I'm very close to figuring out which module is faulty now that I got PA Soft today. I ran multiple scans and every single time I would see "no data" next to MFL (Multi Function Steering wheel).

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...9#post15606739 Here is my thread where you guys can see exactly see what my issues were and get more details.

So my question is, have you guys successfully used this software to pinpoint a faulty module that was bringing down your KBUS and causing weird electrical glitches? If so, I would appreciate some help!!

The pics show 5 errors (yellow ones) under ABS and 1 SRS error code that I could not remove and remain. Disregard the 2 (High beam L & R) under LCM as I know these are due to 2 LED bulbs I installed as my DRL's a few weeks ago.

Notice how "no data" appears under MFL? hmmmmmm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7588.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	519214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7589.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	519215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7594.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	519216  

Last edited by Cvale127; 07-29-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Cvale127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #1689
doit659

SOLVED: Windows 7 64bit drivers and BMW Scanner

I just wanted share my experience getting the BMW Scanner software working on my Windows 7, 64bit operating system. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1.

The entire process took me about 15 minutes to complete because of the guidance I received in this very long thread, which I do appreciate.

1. I ordered the BMW Scanner device from xcar360 for $32.00. Since free shipping takes weeks, I opted for the extra $24.00 to have it shipped two day express via DHL. Well worth the money, since a standard OBD II scanner runs at least $100 for a decent one. So, even with the shipping, this was a bargain. Here is the link: http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html

2. When the scanner arrived, the little disc with the BMW Scanner software was corrupt so I had to download the software from the web. There are at least two options. You can download the software right from the xcar360 website: http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html

But I didn't download from their website, but rather directly from the PA Software website. This was the version I used. Some earlier posts said this version would not work with the xcar360 scanner, but it worked just fine: http://www.bmw-scanner.com/download/...mwscan_140.zip

So, either source works. Actually, the xcar360 download is much larger because there is much more software with this download, although I am not sure what else is in that zip file, since I didn't need any of it.

3. Here was the process that worked, although there is one step that I am not certain was required so I noted it as [optional]:

a. Download these working 64bit drivers from this Czech web site:

http://www.ulozto.net/xssDoKA/bmw-sc...iver-64bit-rar

b. Unarchive the drivers using a rar unarchiver, such as winrar from www.rarlab.com. Remember the location where you unarchived the files.

Install the BMW Scanner 1.4 software on your laptop.

b. Plug the USB cable into the scanner module and into an open USB port on your laptop.

c. Windows 7 will now look for a compatible device driver for the scanner. Instead of choosing "Search automatically for updated driver software", select the second option, which is "Browse my computer for driver software" and navigate to the folder where you unarchived the 64 bit drive in Step b.

The operating system will automatically load the driver and under "Control Panel", "Administrative Tools", "Computer Management", "Device Manager" in the operating system, you should see a new device, called "BMW Scanner".

You will also see another device with a yellow caution icon, called either "USB Serial Port" or "Universal Serial Bus Controller" or even perhaps "USB Serial Connector".

d. [OPTIONAL - MAY NOT BE NECESSARY] - Having seen the yellow icon, I figured I had to get this driver loaded in order for the scanner to work, so I tried to load this set of drivers, based upon some advice from earlier threads: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm (the Windows 64bit driver, version 2.08.28 on that page). Refer to post #1681, above, that discusses one guy's steps to make the yellow icon to disappear.

HOWEVER, I never got these drivers to load and remove the yellow icon from my initial installation no matter which driver I choose from these drivers OR the original Czech drivers I unarchived in Step B. Basically, I could not get the steps in post #1681, above, to work.

THE GOOD NEWS is that the scanner worked on my car EVEN THOUGH this second driver never loaded and the yellow icon remained.

e. Despite the second driver not loaded, I started up the BMW Scanner software with the Scanner and USB plugged into my laptop, and the interface came up without any driver error. Of course, the module was not connected to my car's OBD II port at this point, so there was no data but I did not have a driver error so I was confident it was going to work.

f. I took my laptop with the scanner module still attached to my laptop out to my car and plugged it into my OBD II port and then turned my ignition on to energize the module. As soon as I did, the module communicated with the software and began to populate the BMW software on my laptop with the error status for every system supported on my 2001 325i sedan. Of course, a lot of modules were not available since many features only relate to later model cars.

In short, the interface was quite intuitive and my personal reason for the software was to reset an passenger side pillar headrest airbag that had blown when I hit a pothole, which I had replaced, and I didn't want to pay a dealer $160 to reset an airbag code. So, I clicked on the "SRS" module, clicked the "Errors" button on the left hand side and then clicked to "clear errors", and the errors all went away, since I had replaced the airbag. Then the airbag light turned off when I restarted the car.

Please note that the airbag light will NOT clear if you do not replace the airbag because the system will simply find the fault again and turn the airbag light on again when you restart the car. You must fix the fault in the SRS system to reset the errors and turn off the light and re-initialize the airbag system to a functional state.

I think there is a way to permanently turn off the airbag light with this software, but this solution is NOT recommended because your car now has NO AIRBAGS WHATSOEVER because the entire Safety Restraint System is in bypass whenever the airbag light is on UNTIL the fault is fixed. So DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR IN THIS STATE because you are taking a dangerous risk with your safety and that of your passengers because the lit airbag light means the airbag system will NOT DEPLOY in the event of an accident.

I bought a passenger pillar airbag for $40 on eBay and installed it myself using a DIY from this site and my own ingenuity. Wasn't that bad a DIY. Stealership was going charge me $500 - $300 for labor plus $200 in parts!

So, for $96, I got the airbag replaced and reset AND the BMW Scannner to use for future diagnostics and repairs.

I think getting the scanner to work on Windows 7 was an easier path than trying to install VMware with a virtual copy of Windows XP SP3 and trying to get that to work on a Windows 7 laptop. Again, my method took me about 20 minutes to get the software running and about 10 minutes to reset all my error codes.
doit659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #1690
Joan Lynn

Well I finally got the scanner to hooked up to my car a 2000 323i which has both diagnostic plugs. I have the 16 to 20 pin connector but I still had to jumper pins 7 and 8 on the dongle and plug into the 20 pin port to get it to work on my car. I am able to view and clear fault codes but still have one issue. I took my car to an independent shop to have the fault codes read and was told the following faults exist right rear speed sensor fault, throttle position fault, throttle mechanical/sluggish movement fault, and intake cam sensor fault which my scanner verified. The problem is I replaced the rear speed sensor but still have a DSC fault and my scanner cannot recognize my cars ABS/DSC system states none found. Where to proceed next?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #1691
Cvale127

*OFFICIAL* BMW Diagnostic Scanner PA Soft 1.4 Thread

Have any of you guys bought a scanner off an ebay seller for less than $100, which did NOT need modification (soldering pins) for ZKE and other units to appear/work?

I recently bought the 1.4.0 software and scanner from a seller in China, and although i was pleased at first because I could scan & clear fault codes, go into a few units and have the option of choosing them , i soon realized i could not get into ZKE.

This is where I mainly wanted to do coding for the door locks, car alarm, one-touch functions etc...so im rather disappointed.

I took apart the scanner and it seems that pins 7 and 8 on the right (with LEds facing down) are already soldered together...but then again the inside of this scanner looks different than the one i have seen in a DiY mod thread, so im not sure if i want to mess around with this thing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #1692
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I bought this one recently: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1GK0TS4738

Took a week to get to my house from China. Did not need any soldering or other modifications to read all modules, and it works with the official software (doesn't get bricked like my old one did)
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #1693
Cvale127

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I bought this one recently: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1GK0TS4738

Took a week to get to my house from China. Did not need any soldering or other modifications to read all modules, and it works with the official software (doesn't get bricked like my old one did)

I waited around a week and 3 days for mine as well. This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121129452559...84.m1439.l2649

Check out the pics I uploaded. I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as modding this unit goes. It is made differently than the one in this link http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rite-up-review.

I also don't know if I want to wait another week for a chinese scanner. You can see in the 1st pic that pins 7 & 8 are already soldered together, and in the other 2 pics you can see how there is 1 clipped wire that doesn't go to any pin...hmmm

There is an ebay seller in California selling the software and scanner, and he said it would work with every module and there was absolutely no modification needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310220100541...84.m1438.l2649

I'm tempted to buy it buttt...I wonder if this is just another chinese unit with a higher price tag?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7646.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	520051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	520052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8190.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	520053  

Last edited by Cvale127; 08-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #1694
Cvale127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvale127 View Post
I have been suffering from a KBUS issue for over a month, but I think I'm very close to figuring out which module is faulty now that I got PA Soft today. I ran multiple scans and every single time I would see "no data" next to MFL (Multi Function Steering wheel).

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...9#post15606739 Here is my thread where you guys can see exactly see what my issues were and get more details.

So my question is, have you guys successfully used this software to pinpoint a faulty module that was bringing down your KBUS and causing weird electrical glitches? If so, I would appreciate some help!!

The pics show 5 errors (yellow ones) under ABS and 1 SRS error code that I could not remove and remain. Disregard the 2 (High beam L & R) under LCM as I know these are due to 2 LED bulbs I installed as my DRL's a few weeks ago.

Notice how "no data" appears under MFL? hmmmmmm

anyone?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #1695
Augster

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport
I am currently troubleshooting my LCM which BMW Scanner (aka PA Soft BMW Diagnostic Scanner) identified that it's not able to communicate with at all (listed as "not found" on the main summary page) There were no other modules reported by BMW Scanner as similarly problematic. The symptoms are that no instrument cluster indicator lights are responding to turn signal, emergency flasher, high beam, nor fog light activation, and neither does the backlighting come on when the headlights are on. All physical lights function properly: just no indication that they are in operation on the instrument cluster. An instrument cluster self-test shows all indicator lights are operational with none burned out.

All scanners can do is report the issues that modules themselves present and the communication status to those modules; it's up to the "user" to interpret these clues and troubleshoot the cause of the malfunctions.

In my case, the next step was to determine if the cause was with the communications aspect of the Light Control Module (LCM) and/or the K-bus, since the physical switching aspect of the LCM still functioned and activated the target light group, the dash/console dimmer wheel functioned, but the instrument cluster did not respond to those activities.

I started with the easiest by conducting a continuity test between pin 21 of the LCM wiring to pin 14 of the Instrument Cluster wiring (the K-bus wire between the two modules) and could not get continuity. My next step is to check the junction block on top of the fuse panel, but I'm waiting for a better multimeter (Fluke) and special test probes that will allow me to clip the probes to the wires since the distance between test points cannot be accessed at the same time (or without the help of another person).

Again, the diagnostic scanners can only report to you the status of the system and communication between the modules. It's up to you to interpret and deduce the underlying causes for those faults, especially if they are not "clear cut" (e.g. a lean condition in a cylinder(s) can have a myriad number of upstream systems that could cause that end result, such as a torn air intake boot or clogged fuel filter).

Last edited by Augster; 08-04-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #1696
Joan Lynn

Those images are exact copies of the unit I got from Autek, I had to take it apart and flip the connector around so that I could see the status lights when the unit is plugged into the diagnostic port. Pins 7 and 8 will have to be jumpered (soldered together) and as far as that wire that goes to nothing if you look on the bottom of the circuit board the lead doesn't go to anything .
Old 08-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #1697
TerraPhantm

Quote:
I waited around a week and 3 days for mine as well. This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121129452559...84.m1439.l2649

Check out the pics I uploaded. I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as modding this unit goes. It is made differently than the one in this link http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rite-up-review.

I also don't know if I want to wait another week for a chinese scanner. You can see in the 1st pic that pins 7 & 8 are already soldered together, and in the other 2 pics you can see how there is 1 clipped wire that doesn't go to any pin...hmmm

There is an ebay seller in California selling the software and scanner, and he said it would work with every module and there was absolutely no modification needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310220100541...84.m1438.l2649

I'm tempted to buy it buttt...I wonder if this is just another chinese unit with a higher price tag?
Is the ZKE the only module you're not able to diagnose? That *could* suggest a problem somewhere in the car -- check the fuses. Your board looks identical to mine, and it was able to read every module (including the ZKE/GM5)
Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #1698
Cvale127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Lynn View Post
Those images are exact copies of the unit I got from Autek, I had to take it apart and flip the connector around so that I could see the status lights when the unit is plugged into the diagnostic port. Pins 7 and 8 will have to be jumpered (soldered together) and as far as that wire that goes to nothing if you look on the bottom of the circuit board the lead doesn't go to anything .
When you say "flip the connector around so that I could see the status lights when the unit is plugged into the diagnostic port", which way do you mean the lights on your unit are facing when plugged into the OBD port? Facing the door or facing inside?

Right now when I plug this unit in the lights are already facing towards the passenger side, So when I'm sitting inside the car I can see the status lights...

I took some better pictures. The first 2 photos are with the lights facing down, If you count from right to left you can see that the first 2 pins are jumped and pins 4 and 5 are also jumped. Pin 8 however is not. Is this the one that needs to be jumped with the previous pin??

Now...If i flip it over with the lights facing up, you can see there is only 1 wire connected to 1 pin on the far left and all the other pins have nothing attached.

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Is the ZKE the only module you're not able to diagnose? That *could* suggest a problem somewhere in the car -- check the fuses. Your board looks identical to mine, and it was able to read every module (including the ZKE/GM5)
No, If i remember correctly there are like 3 other modules I could not diagnose or get the pop up screen for coding. Also, I don't know if this happened to you but literally nothing on pages 2 or 3 are found. I think only the sunroof module and something else were found on page 2 when i perform a scan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7658.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	520191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9299.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	520192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	520193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9342.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	520194  

Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #1699
TerraPhantm

Quote:
No, If i remember correctly there are like 3 other modules I could not diagnose or get the pop up screen for coding. Also, I don't know if this happened to you but literally nothing on pages 2 or 3 are found. I think only the sunroof module and something else were found on page 2 when i perform a scan.
As far as I know (and I'm pretty confident about this), only the DME and EGS sit on pin 7; the rest of the modules sit on pin 8. Do you have INPA? Does that work with everything? It might be worth redoing the joint, since that's a pretty crappy solder job... but beyond that I don't know what else it could be except for a K-bus issue on your car

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 08-04-2013 at 10:48 PM.
TerraPhantm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #1700
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbimmer View Post
fyi...I got mine working on Windows 8 x86 using the drivers that came with the downloaded PA soft. During the driver install, it did a continuous loop, but after a reboot, everything was working.
Is there anything different about the drivers in the downloaded pa soft as compared to the ones on the cd you get with the odb2 scanner itself? When I try to install the drivers on the CD windows 8 does not recognize them and won't install anything. On the downloaded demo version of the software I don't see any driver files at all...

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft