E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #121
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
I actually was able to root it but something happened and then the touchscreen on the android side became non responsive. However on the wince side it was fine. I actually found the root files on another website for xd developers.

Sorry for spamming you with the pms and everything. I guess I was freaking out. Anyways I'll just contact him to sort everything out.

Thanks a lot again for solving a lot of the problems we are all facing.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #122
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Does anyone have a detailed DIY for the rear camera install? I been playing around with it and am not able to figure it it.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #123
vilord

My Ride: e91 2006
Painbreak... how did you go about building that framework jar/apk? Did you build from source, or did you hack it out with a hex editor?

And...
The location accuracy that's missing from google maps... how did you discover that it wasn't generating this data?

A few years back I helped to write the GPS driver for another phone, and for the location accuracy, we just generated it using an algorithm based on comparing location and velocity and the rates of change of both. It was a hack, but it was enough...
Would it be enough to 'fake' it, and in the framework pretend that the usb driver always says "2 meters" whenever it has a fix?

I honestly haven't looked at the framework code in a couple years, but I'm willing to hack it out for a bit.

Picking up my E91 tomorrow or the next day, and a 4.x B090 (as far as i've read, a copy of the B046?) will be on order shortly afterwards.

Thanks!
-jesse
vilord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #124
mintimperial

My Ride: 2003 530i Sport
Sounds like it could work. Happy to test any tweaks you can come up with
mintimperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #125
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Enco B046 - Android 4.04 Version

Has anyone connected their iPhone 5 with Apple's adaptor?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #126
chouch

My Ride: X5
I did!

The Good News: it charges

The Bad News: bye bye listening to music! ... when I press on ipod on the dashboard it says ipod not connected

Last edited by chouch; 04-30-2013 at 03:28 AM.
chouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #127
china man

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
I finally managed to learn how to copy update.zip to root but the page with the file is now off line. Anyone manage to root the 2.3? I tried to update the system but no luck and now google play don't work

The new canbus they ship solved the random function start up, I would love to know if there is a quick fix for people already got the old canbus rather than just unplug it
china man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #128
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Enco B046 - Android 4.04 Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouch View Post
I did!

The Good News: it charges

The Bad News: bye bye listening to music! ... when I press on ipod on the dashboard it says ipod not connected
Damn. Guess I'll have to get an iPod or something.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #129
rflail

My Ride: 2006 330 CiC ZHP
Painbreak - Anything new to report on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
It sounds to me as if you jumped in with both feet, without knowing how to swim. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but from the PMs I received from you, and your posts in this thread, I still haven't been able to figure out why you would take your radio apart, and try to jump the pins. Did you think that was necessary in order to root the device? Because it's not.

In other, unrelated news, I believe I have a fix for what I like to call the "Enco Shuffle" where the CANBUS interface starts randomly selecting a screen at startup. This would be for pretty much every Enco radio with this issue, both WinCE and Android. More on this to come...
rflail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #130
panzerwagon

My Ride: e39 540iT
Gents,
I've been watching this thread for 3 or 4 months, coming back periodically, and would like to ask for an update from anyone who'd bought the Enco Android 4 unit. Did you have any major problems which haven't been noted here yet? Anything new that you've figured out in terms of rooting / gapps store / loading apps / GPS use? Do you love it? Are you indifferent? Did you get frustrated throw it in the trash?

I know about the issues dealing with Enco, about preference for using Paypal as insurance, etc. I've read this and other (the super long Android 2.3) threads. I'd like to know basically whether you would choose the same path if you had it to do again. I'm likely going to buy one and I'd just like to check in with the group that seems to have had the most discussion on this unit. I'm an engineer and have a certain level of tolerance to fixing/fighting with stuff so I'm not scared.

PainBreak, thanks for the thread and documenting your process & and thanks to a few others of note, for your input so far.
Best regards,
-Panzerwagon

Long live the online BMW community. It's among the reasons I won't consider any other marque.
panzerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #131
chouch

My Ride: X5
panzerwagon, I'm sure how excited you are about this unit; To be perfectly honest with you I have regrets for buying this unit.

I would not have minded all the hassle I went through (receiving a defective unit and shipping back, paying shipping and replacing it ... all in all a timeline of 2 months) if the unit actually was up to the standards.

I do have the Android 4 unit (b039 on an X5) and I can tell you from now, if you are picky you are better off without it; If you are buying this unit to play around, hack it, root it or any other form of testing then this one is right for you.

I've probably read and reread every post in this thread before and after buying the unit, tried all the suggestions but to my luck the things I wanted never ever worked (even with technician interventions). so if any of these are deal breaker for you I advise you not to buy:

- ipod cable connection is for iPod 4th Gen and iPhone 4s and lower. I bought the original 30 pin to 8 pin cable to connect my iphone 5 and it didnot work (nor iPod 5th gen) .... though it charges .... so there you go no ipod, no music
- then you say, what the heck I'll bluetooth the phone and play it from there. Sound is horrible, no UI whatsoever, just volume up/down and next/previous (no title, artist,...)
- also since we are talking bluetooth; did you know that when bluetooth is on and connected to a device you loose 90% of the time connectiving to the unit from the steering buttons; so every time you want to turn the volume up you have to try 4 to 5 times pressing on it... same goes for the rest of the buttons.
- Radio reception is never like before, the coverage seems to have dropped in places (Yes I read all the tricks about the antenna and tried them several things even changing the antenna amp)
- Radio UI is not bad but you can switch from a channel to another from the steering, you have to do it from the touch screen (the steering button moves the frequency by 0.5 up/down)
- Sound is too loud, bought the controller, tried it, sound was too low, tweaked it and now it sucks
- it has 2 boards, one for the android and one for radio/dvd/bluetooth/phone ... I wish it had one ... a working one
- there is no way to import your phonebook to this unit ... microphone on the other hand is good and bluetooth calls are fine (damn i was on a streak of negativity)
- try loading android for a while (20min) while in good weather condition and the fan will start (sounds like the hoover I have at home) ... with people in the car sometimes I turn it off because it is just too embarassing.
- screen is horrible in daylight, no way whatsoever you can see anything on the screen during daylight
- the mini usb plug in the front does not charge blackberry/samsung unless you are in DVD section, so to charge you have to stay in there at all times
- Android part is all fine, all the tweaks posted here worked fine (true also for the things that doesnt work hahaha)

Besides the few bugs up there the unit is great (LOL). I am truly not exaggerating, these are real facts; the unit is not bad, it's terrible!!!! and 6 months owning it I can tell you, do not buy this unit it is just not worth the effort and money ... this is a beta testing unit (more like alpha).

I hope this post was helpful.
chouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #132
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
Welll, what can I say, chouch will not be on the szenco sales team but he's right ha ha ha

On top of this you can add :

1) Igo does NOT save the setting, you have to run through setup EACH TIME, you turn the car off to park, you start again...
2) Wifi dongle is working...when it wants, I had to put it on an USB extension so that i can unplug and replug the dongle a few times, once it starts it stays on so it's probably an android driver thing.
3) Time and date are not saved, there is no battery clock in the unit (a technology that has been mastered around 1982 in computers) so that each time you start the unit it is 01:00 am on 1/1/1970, and it means that igo once you've set it will run in night mode, so either you need wifi and a wifi tethering phone, or adjust igo to be always in "day" mode, but when you switch the engine off, there you go again
4) Screen is unusable in daytime, confirmed. Also screen is NOT a capacitive screen but a pressure one, not possible to use inrix for example because you need to press with 2 fingers to unzoom.
5) Some apps won't run (waze) something about not being able to access the SD card, it seems that permissions are not set properly for the sd cards, maybe igo COULD be set to save settings like that, I tried and failed.
6) bluetooth does not cut sound on the android side, so let's say you listen to music on android, phone rings, screen switches to BT mode but you can't lower the sound of the song....
7) Since clock is not saved, radio stations are not saved also, better remember the frequency of your favorite station...
8) Paypal will not help you IN ANY WAY with szenco, I used paypal, I got a unit with a defective cable, I asked for help, they told me to ship the COMPLETE unit at my cost and that they would send it back, I told them to send me the cable only, they refused, i started a paypal claim to put pressure on them and paypal told me to **** off because they don't accept "partial" refunds and if i send the unit back i have to pay for the shipping and they (szenco) could refuse the unit on the ground of chinese custom duties on the way back in.....

basically it is an unfinished product with zero support and not very honest (to be polite) people on the other end of the line.

I would look SERIOUSLY at the eway models, they seem to be releasing updates and so on, but before someone releases a capacitive screen model i'd forget the whole thing or try to build your own from scratch with a $200 nexus tablet (now that's an interesting project...).

This being said I can sell you mine ha ha ha
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #133
al-djazair

My Ride: E46 E34 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
Welll, what can I say, chouch will not be on the szenco sales team but he's right ha ha ha

On top of this you can add :

1) Igo does NOT save the setting, you have to run through setup EACH TIME, you turn the car off to park, you start again...
Hi jchuiller,

iGo save setting when you close it.

Each time you change settings you must close iGo before turning off your unit. Wait to see the Android screen.
2 x '86 E30 323i sold for parts
al-djazair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #134
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Has Pain break or anyone else any joy figuring out the random boot sequence?

Last edited by CTRob; 06-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #135
jchuillier

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-djazair View Post
Hi jchuiller,

iGo save setting when you close it.

Each time you change settings you must close iGo before turning off your unit. Wait to see the Android screen.
Well sorry but no, on my system everytime I restart it I need to do the start wizard again and no settings are saved....
Old 07-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #136
HighxTech

My Ride: 2002 330i
Anyone have a possible fix for the android side resetting the time every time you turn the unit off? other then the random boot sequence and horrible visibility in the sun that seems to be my only other problem. Perhaps theres an update or something like a CMOS battery on the android board?
HighxTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #137
jchuillier

I would like to have a fix for this too because it's on the top list of my problems, with Igo and the wifi working when it wants....
Old 08-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #138
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
Has Pain break or anyone else any joy figuring out the random boot sequence?
Yes. Here's how to do it:

Buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-TIMER-...-/320852799879

Get the one with the shortest duration. 0-40 seconds.

Timer Relay:
Red = 12V+
White = Ground
Yellow = "Common" Connection for Relay
Brown = "Normally On" Connection for Relay

Mine had this color layout, and the Green is not used:

Find your red box that attaches to your radio. There's a small green wire coming from it. Cut it in half, connect one side to the Yellow, and one side to the Brown on the Timer Relay. Next to the green wire from the red box, there are red and black wires. These are 12V+ and ground, respectively. Use those for your other connections to the Timer Relay. Red to Red, Black to White. Then, there's a potentiometer dial on the Timer Relay. Turn it all the way to the right. That's 0s. Back it off just a little bit to increase the delay. You're looking for about an 8-9 second delay, so that the radio and CANBUS adapter have time to power on fully before any signals are sent to the CANBUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighxTech View Post
Anyone have a possible fix for the android side resetting the time every time you turn the unit off? other then the random boot sequence and horrible visibility in the sun that seems to be my only other problem. Perhaps theres an update or something like a CMOS battery on the android board?
The only way to resolve that issue is to give it internet access. If you can use wifi tethering of some sort to give it 'net access via your phone, then it'll update the time automagically. If not, then you're really not utilizing the Android side in the best way. Here's what I do:

Android Phone + Llama + Bluetooth tethered to the non-android side of the radio.

Set Llama to start Wifi tethering any time I'm connected to "Car Kit" over Bluetooth, and stop Wifi tethering any time I'm disconnected from "Car Kit" over Bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Painbreak... how did you go about building that framework jar/apk? Did you build from source, or did you hack it out with a hex editor?

And...
The location accuracy that's missing from google maps... how did you discover that it wasn't generating this data?

A few years back I helped to write the GPS driver for another phone, and for the location accuracy, we just generated it using an algorithm based on comparing location and velocity and the rates of change of both. It was a hack, but it was enough...
Would it be enough to 'fake' it, and in the framework pretend that the usb driver always says "2 meters" whenever it has a fix?

I honestly haven't looked at the framework code in a couple years, but I'm willing to hack it out for a bit.

Picking up my E91 tomorrow or the next day, and a 4.x B090 (as far as i've read, a copy of the B046?) will be on order shortly afterwards.

Thanks!
-jesse
For the framework, I decompiled it, modified the .smali and recompiled it. I followed the directions from someone else who did a very similar GPS speed "fix" for a chinese tablet. It was essentially a find and replace job inside of the .smali file, within the framework.jar, that tells it how to calculate the speed.

For the accuracy data, I used a GPS status app that reports accuracy data, and I decompiled the Google Maps app (specifically the com.google.android.maps.driveabout portion) and I can see that it disables turn-by-turn navigation based on the accuracy. It requires 'ACCURACY_FINE' which is defined somewhere as being below some particular meter integer. It's been months and months since I've looked into any of this, so I may not be 100% accurate anymore. But yes, I think a "hack" of the GPS driver to tell us that it's always accurate within say, 10 meters, would return 'ACCURACY_FINE' as being true.

Last edited by PainBreak; 08-03-2013 at 06:55 PM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #139
matiashr

My Ride: vw
could someone provide the update.zip mentioned earlier...ive managed to kill my unit..
matiashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #140
HighxTech

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post

Android Phone + Llama + Bluetooth tethered to the non-android side of the radio.
Good stuff, I've never heard of that Llama app I'll give it a shot. Usually I just do what you said with the tethering every time I get in the car. I was hoping there was a CMOS battery or some sort of "low power" fix so power is always running to the unit but not enough to kill the battery overnight.

Thats pretty much the only real problem I'm having. Everything else works fine.

As for the sound I have the HK system and I didn't get anything extra and it sounds fine, radio reception is also great. the volume does go up by 2 but if you turn the knob slowly it does increase by one. It also seems that the volume on the radio side is somehow related to the volume on the Bluetooth side.

If anyones got any more fixes please let us know, in the mean time I'll see what I can do to fix the loss of settings on the Android side.
HighxTech is offline   Reply With Quote