E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
aldeghij

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Do a fluid change without dropping the pan, that won't cost you much.
If that won't work - wait a few weeks - find a replacement TC and have it installed. That should be done for about a $1000
Also, visit a few trans shop, ask their opinion to verify it's the TC.
Yeah, maybe i'll do that. If nothing else it'll help me confirm the diagnosis. If it behaves any differently i'll know it's coming from there. I've called one of the more reputable trans shops here in town and he agreed it's probably the TC.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
aldeghij

Ok, so here we are. Got the diagnosis of Torque Converter, and possible 5th gear issues with my ZF Auto. Quotes from $1950, alllll the way up to $6k to fix it. Found a replacement tranny from a member here on the forum for a good price. Had it put in yesterday, so total i'm into that for $1500. Hopped in the car, took it up to 70, problem is still there. I can still control it w/ the throttle. I know that my front wheel bearings are shot, but this is separate from that. So basically I just PM'd my 109k ZF w/ a 74k ZF. Replacing wheel bearings tonight. But still dunno what the deep moaning sound is. FML.

Fortunately, the transmission does feel more solid, and (knock on wood), I shouldn't have to worry about the reverse issue for a while (knock on wood again). Damn this car.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I wouldn't describe my sound as rumble strip at 70 mph, but I definitely have a hum or slight whine at that speed that increases with engine torque output. I found something a while back about this and there was a BMW notice for it. Mine sounds like it comes from the diff or maybe the CSB. The BMW fix was to add some damping material on a mount somewhere.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
aldeghij

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I wouldn't describe my sound as rumble strip at 70 mph, but I definitely have a hum or slight whine at that speed that increases with engine torque output. I found something a while back about this and there was a BMW notice for it. Mine sounds like it comes from the diff or maybe the CSB. The BMW fix was to add some damping material on a mount somewhere.
Oh geez. So I've dropped 1500 on transmission + install, 200 on csb/flex disk and I coulda fixed it w/ 10 bucks worth of damping material???

LOL, at least I have a pretty fresh drivetrain now. If you come across that BMW notice, would you mind sending it to me? I'd be eternally grateful. Damn this car + 1.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I didn't say that would have fixed it. I was just throwing something out there. I don't even know if we have the same sound...

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #26
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix330ci View Post
What causes a TC to go bad? Worn parts, low fluid.....

Also without a lift I don't see how you can get the tranny out from under the car. Jack stands or ramps I don't think will get the car high enough so as a DIY for the average DIY'er I don't think it is possible.
There is plenty of room to get the tranny in and out with just two (2 ton) jack stands. The hard part is getting the new transmission lined up on the engine block.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
aldeghij

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
There is plenty of room to get the tranny in and out with just two (2 ton) jack stands. The hard part is getting the new transmission lined up on the engine block.
Thanks for the input. I had an Indy shop swap out the transmission w/ the one I bought from a member on here. Problem still exists!!!! Three bad diagnosis from three shops! So now I have a spare zf I gotta sell to recoup some of my $$$.

Tags
no reverse, torque converter, transmission, zf