E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
sagar23

My Ride: 330Ci
Service history....

Hi all,

I don't mean to start a thread on general buying tips but there's something I'm struggling with in my search. I've owned two e46s and a e90 in the US and am moving to the UK and looking for an E46 again...

My struggle is with service history. I see that cars with stamped books are priced far higher than those that have been worked on by owners (even if enthusiasts)

In the States, I would much rather purchase a car from a fanatic who has been meticulous about service and work done over a car that has stamps.. After all the experienced tech doesn't have a personal incentive necessarily in each and every car

Is the UK resale market such that stamped books automatically imply well kept cars and higher values? Reason for asking is I don't want to be stuck when ready to sell

Also is a PPI an acceptable substitute?
sagar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Hey Sagar

Ill try to give you an insite here in the UK, Service costs in the UK are quite extreme and a high number will either do them selfs or a respectable & reasonably priced garage. However do not let this deter you in your search, of course a truly maintained car is better than a shed (Clapped out heap of junk). Saldy as you have already noted with a full service history cars do tend to be more expensive to buy, however if you shop around you may find some thing reasonable. As for selling if you as a fanatic are wanting to maintain yourself keep a log, although probably wont mean much to a buyer over FSH, it will portay the lengths you have gone to in maintaining it's roadworthyness. I keep a log of everything done to mine, but do not have a service history book (offical book).

Excuse my ignorance here but PPI in UK is Payment Protection Insurance, is PPI theresomefor of vehicle check for roadworthy or finance?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
sagar23

My Ride: 330Ci
Thanks for your feedback! Quite helpful! Ppi here is Pre Purchase Inspection which is a visual check that a dealer typically does for about 100-200 dollars. It's simply visual assessments of inspection 1 and 2 items that aren't extremely labour intensive.

Does a parallel idea apply at the BMW garages there?

The seller I am speaking with also seems to have some service stamps but limited to oil and brake fluids. In my mind these are easy items and thus am puzzled as to why the value of the car changes so much! The car has near 80k miles and I can't imagine major items other than perhaps the cooling system coming due...
sagar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar23 View Post
Thanks for your feedback! Quite helpful! Ppi here is Pre Purchase Inspection which is a visual check that a dealer typically does for about 100-200 dollars. It's simply visual assessments of inspection 1 and 2 items that aren't extremely labour intensive.

Does a parallel idea apply at the BMW garages there?

The seller I am speaking with also seems to have some service stamps but limited to oil and brake fluids. In my mind these are easy items and thus am puzzled as to why the value of the car changes so much! The car has near 80k miles and I can't imagine major items other than perhaps the cooling system coming due...
You can get Inspections done, and i am sure a local BMW will do it, however other alternatives would be the AA and RAC (Our two big breakdown companies) do 140 point checks (i believe) and maybe a decent local mechanic, as for stamps for mainly fluids / oil etc would be the standard car service, prob worth finding out any other maintenance done on the car!

What year is it? and the location your going to be in the UK? As depending on location I may know some one locally for the checks. Cooling system certainly a flush should be around the 75k mark i believe so may have been done.

Here is an example of pre-check - http://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspections/

Why buy AA Vehicle Inspections

Get a vehicle safety check and road test before you buy
up to 206 checks per car
same-day feedback, written report within one day
fixed rated, no hidden costs
impartial advice to help you negotiate a price
available for cars, vans and motorhomes

From as little as 128 for AA Members (142 for non-members), the cost of an inspection depends on the engine size and the type of inspection.

Last edited by Shaun1970; 08-06-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service history stamps