E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #6661
imolazhp_ci
Registered User
 
imolazhp_ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new york city.
Posts: 2,579
My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Those Kamakura measurements are a joke. They think a 36" sleeve goes with a 16" neck?
what do you mean? they're all neck/sleeve so you choose the measurements of each and there are 4 different cuts all with different ratios.
__________________
2005 Imola Red 330Ci ZHP- SOLD
2006 Sebring Silver S2000- SOLD :(
2007 Silver Gray M Coupe- SOLD :'(
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #6662
imolazhp_ci
Registered User
 
imolazhp_ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new york city.
Posts: 2,579
My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Why you have short arms?

Just kidding
I have 15.5" neck and 33.5" arms

[bimmerapp]
15.5/33 here.
__________________
2005 Imola Red 330Ci ZHP- SOLD
2006 Sebring Silver S2000- SOLD :(
2007 Silver Gray M Coupe- SOLD :'(
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #6663
imolazhp_ci
Registered User
 
imolazhp_ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new york city.
Posts: 2,579
My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
He said ripoff at retail

I'm personally a fan of my c&j and alfred sargent shoes over my ae strand
For sure the british shoes fit my feet better
And the leather quality is noticeably different

[bimmerapp]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
just out of curiousity since AE's are the majority of my dress shoe line up... what makes them an "absolute ripoff" to shoes that are 30-50% more expensive?
exactly what Ed said.

also, it's not like $365 is a cheap shoe. chances are, if you can afford a $365 shoe (AE) you can move up to a $550 shoe (C&J). yes, they are absolutely $185 better. $185 is a nice date. cook your girlfriend pasta at home one night instead of going out and get a way better pair of shoes instead.
__________________
2005 Imola Red 330Ci ZHP- SOLD
2006 Sebring Silver S2000- SOLD :(
2007 Silver Gray M Coupe- SOLD :'(
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #6664
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
what do you mean? they're all neck/sleeve so you choose the measurements of each and there are 4 different cuts all with different ratios.
Perhaps I am missing something. I clicked on the "New York Slim" and it seemed that they arbitrarily paired 36" sleeves with a 16" neck.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #6665
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
exactly what Ed said.

also, it's not like $365 is a cheap shoe. chances are, if you can afford a $365 shoe (AE) you can move up to a $550 shoe (C&J). yes, they are absolutely $185 better. $185 is a nice date. cook your girlfriend pasta at home one night instead of going out and get a way better pair of shoes instead.
It's worth noting though, that we're all saying retail is a ripoff (and I agree.) To date, I think I've purchased one pair of AEs at full MSRP, and they were the first pair I bought. Since then, I've gotten each at a considerable discount - usually in the $250 range.

These days, I am traveling at least two days a week, and my AEs have handled it very well. I also think I'd feel much different about scuffing $250 shoes than $550 shoes.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #6666
imolazhp_ci
Registered User
 
imolazhp_ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new york city.
Posts: 2,579
My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
It's worth noting though, that we're all saying retail is a ripoff (and I agree.) To date, I think I've purchased one pair of AEs at full MSRP, and they were the first pair I bought. Since then, I've gotten each at a considerable discount - usually in the $250 range.

These days, I am traveling at least two days a week, and my AEs have handled it very well. I also think I'd feel much different about scuffing $250 shoes than $550 shoes.
my mom says if you can't afford to ruin it then you can't afford it. i don't entirely agree with that mantra, but i do agree with the sentiment that you can't let your possessions own you.
__________________
2005 Imola Red 330Ci ZHP- SOLD
2006 Sebring Silver S2000- SOLD :(
2007 Silver Gray M Coupe- SOLD :'(
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #6667
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,077
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
I bought my ae/bb strand for $225 or so
Bought my peal/c&j captoe for $300
(Back when peal retail price was $488)
Bought my c&j pembroke for $350 (half off retail from barneys warehouse online)
These prices are including tax
Definitely worth the jump for me at those price points


[bimmerapp]
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #6668
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
The YMWDLOM Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
my mom says if you can't afford to ruin it then you can't afford it. i don't entirely agree with that mantra, but i do agree with the sentiment that you can't let your possessions own you.
Exactly. Maybe not ruin, but I need to be able to afford to not care.

As for Ed's comment about price, I'd gladly get in at that price if I could reasonably get wides at those prices.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #6669
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,077
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
This reminds me ... I need to polish my shoes

[bimmerapp]
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #6670
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,221
My Ride: 2003 325i
Hmmm. If i scuff $650 shoes I will be livid. But I will probably be equally as mad if I scuff a pair of AE. I protect my $120 pair of dress shoes right now like they are worth much more than that
__________________
Waiting to be installed: H&R Race Springs
Upcoming Mods: 1-Piece CSL Splitter
Tom5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #6671
BruceWonder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 2,198
My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
im pretty anal about my dress shoes. I wear them normally but i clean them right after i get home, toss some shoe tress in. Its shoe religion
__________________
BruceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #6672
Mike Larry
Registered User
 
Mike Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 131
My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Mikelarry
What about a speech on patent trolls? I was at dinner a few weeks ago with guys on both sides of the fence and they wanted to kill each other.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I suggested that a few pages back.

I would love to sit with a troll/NPE and hear their BS.

(Is my bias obvious?)


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
i considered this, but the presentation is more for run-of-the-mill lawyer ethics (e.g., conflicts of interest) and not for an ethical debate (e.g. patent trolls).
__________________
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #6673
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,171
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
exactly what Ed said.

also, it's not like $365 is a cheap shoe. chances are, if you can afford a $365 shoe (AE) you can move up to a $550 shoe (C&J). yes, they are absolutely $185 better. $185 is a nice date. cook your girlfriend pasta at home one night instead of going out and get a way better pair of shoes instead.
while i am not questioning your reasoning, i'm just asking why... i have tried on a few pairs of Aldens, but other than that, I don't have Peal & Co's or C&J's in my neck of the woods unless I head up to Boston. Is the detail on them that much nicer? how is the leather that noticeably different? more comfortable I would assume? little things that you don't get with AE's?

I have no question a $550 shoe is better than a $335 shoe, just wondering what makes it worth it?
__________________

Last edited by JJR4884; 08-19-2013 at 08:19 AM.
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #6674
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,221
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
while i am not questioning your reasoning, i'm just asking why... i have tried on a few pairs of Aldens, but other than that, I don't have Peal & Co's or C&J's in my neck of the woods unless I head up to Boston. Is the detail on them that much nicer? how is the leather that noticeably different? more comfortable I would assume? little things that you don't get with AE's?

I have no question a $550 shoe is better than a $335 shoe, just wondering what makes it worth it?
Great questions. I'd like to know also.
__________________
Waiting to be installed: H&R Race Springs
Upcoming Mods: 1-Piece CSL Splitter
Tom5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #6675
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 850
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i considered this, but the presentation is more for run-of-the-mill lawyer ethics (e.g., conflicts of interest) and not for an ethical debate (e.g. patent trolls).
Ask them whether ever prolong litigation by taking the 'safe' course of action, when a slightly riskier path would be acceptable to the client and, of course, considerably cheaper.

If its for all litigators, then present it in a way that shows how them how to avoid being caught
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #6676
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
while i am not questioning your reasoning, i'm just asking why... i have tried on a few pairs of Aldens, but other than that, I don't have Peal & Co's or C&J's in my neck of the woods unless I head up to Boston. Is the detail on them that much nicer? how is the leather that noticeably different? more comfortable I would assume? little things that you don't get with AE's?

I have no question a $550 shoe is better than a $335 shoe, just wondering what makes it worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5933 View Post
Great questions. I'd like to know also.
The leather and attention to detail is nicer on C&Js, for sure. If you get close on a standard cap toe model from each, there's a difference. The edges will be finished better, better stitching, etc.

Now, are those differences worth the difference in price (especially considering most of us buy AEs at discount and C&J seldom, if ever, discounts?) That's for you to decide.

For me, the answer is no. I can't justify the extra spend, knowing that any difference will be scuffed sitting on planes, getting in and out of cabs, etc.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #6677
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,221
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
The leather and attention to detail is nicer on C&Js, for sure. If you get close on a standard cap toe model from each, there's a difference. The edges will be finished better, better stitching, etc.

Now, are those differences worth the difference in price (especially considering most of us buy AEs at discount and C&J seldom, if ever, discounts?) That's for you to decide.

For me, the answer is no. I can't justify the extra spend, knowing that any difference will be scuffed sitting on planes, getting in and out of cabs, etc.
Hmm thanks for your opinion. Very valid points.

BTW, I am assuming I need a bag/briefcase type thing. Anyone have suggestions? Sorry for all the somewhat retarded questions, naive college graduate here transitioning into the real world.
__________________
Waiting to be installed: H&R Race Springs
Upcoming Mods: 1-Piece CSL Splitter

Last edited by Tom5933; 08-19-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Tom5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #6678
mcr_driver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 27,309
My Ride: my favorite two feet
Thoughts on Jos.A Banks suits? My dad is in need of a decent interview suit is on a sub 200$ budget. Quality wise not bad for his needs?
__________________
http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ken10hm2.jpg
mcr_driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #6679
imolazhp_ci
Registered User
 
imolazhp_ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new york city.
Posts: 2,579
My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Thoughts on Jos.A Banks suits? My dad is in need of a decent interview suit is on a sub 200$ budget. Quality wise not bad for his needs?
if you're buying a suit as a "wedding/interview" suit... jos. a bank is fine. just make sure you take it to a real tailor and make it fit properly.
__________________
2005 Imola Red 330Ci ZHP- SOLD
2006 Sebring Silver S2000- SOLD :(
2007 Silver Gray M Coupe- SOLD :'(
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #6680
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 850
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5933 View Post
Hmm thanks for your opinion. Very valid points.

BTW, I am assuming I need a bag/briefcase type thing. Anyone have suggestions? Sorry for all the somewhat retarded questions, naive college graduate here transitioning into the real world.
Saddleback if you want heavy, heavy adventure look.

I bought this Coach bag for my metro lawyer meetings.
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use