E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AK HI ID OR WA

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
dirtypinguin

My Ride: 330i ZHP Sedan
Anybody in WA state able to help with VANOS seals?

Hello fellas, I was wondering if anyone in Western Washington was planning on doing the vanos seals on their car this summer and wouldn't mind if I did mine side by side. I have some tools but not enough and no place to do the repair so looking for a little help from a fellow member.

Thanks in advance!
Alex
dirtypinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Re: Anybody in WA state able to help with VANOS seals?

Just finished remounting the vanos about an hour ago after doing this. This is definitely a job that seems more intimidating than it really is. The only problem I had was needing to go buy a set of angle nose pliers to get the cap out of the exhaust side cylinder. If you've done the valve cover gasket before you can handle this. Just print out the instructions from Besian and go for it. :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I've done this before. I do all my own work. Have all the tools too. If you want you can come over to Sequim on a weekend and I'll walk you through it. lmk

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
dirtypinguin

Hey I appreciate the offer very much Titanium, Sequim is just a 2 hour drive for me. If no one closer is able to help, I will probably have to come out there!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
wendyjames2

My Ride: BMW
Hi dirtypinguin! Are you anywhere close Redmond?
wendyjames2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
dirtypinguin

Sure. 30 minutes away
Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
2002GreenBMW

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Anybody in WA state able to help with VANOS seals?

I'm doing mine in the next two weeks, Seattle area, group job?

2002GreenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002GreenBMW View Post
I'm doing mine in the next two weeks, Seattle area, group job?

I don't know how well my VANOS is holding up, but if others are doing it as a preventative thing, I may do mine as well to learn more. Are there other recommended things to replace while doing the VANOS?
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
dirtypinguin

The vanos system on these cars seems to wear out within 50k miles. My car has an uneven delivery of power below 3k RPM's. Its quite annoying and I have close to 90k on my engine, so its definitely time to address this issue. Here is the kit I bought and they describe the various symptoms you may be having due to worn out seals in the Vanos system.
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
Old 08-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
dirtypinguin

You can also just go with a Dr. Vanos kit which saves you some time versus doing the seals yourself once you pull the vanos out. It is twice the cost however. http://drvanos.com/index.php?option=...&id=2&Itemid=3
Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
seattle330

So the Dr Vanos kit is basically a new Vanos with the improved seals while the Beisan kit just has the new seals and you re-use the rest of the Vanos? I imagine the rest of the Vanos doesn't deteriorate as much, so is there a reason to go with the Dr Vanos kit? I don't mind spending an extra $200, I just want to know if it'll be well spent....

I don't have any of the hiccuping or non-linear throttle response, but I reckon I've got a little bit of torque degradation at low RPMs and it'd be good to to the Vanos anyway for peace of mind. Looking through the Beisan DIY, it mentions replacing the VCG, which is a no-brainer, and also playing with the O2 sensors. Should one replace these as well while disassembling everything?

If people are serious about doing a group DIY on this, I would really love to join, as I don't trust myself enough to do it myself. Would people want to do it the weekend of the 24th so that we can all get the appropriate parts? If so, is the following list correct?
1. Beisan kit or Dr Vanos kit
2. VCG
3. (optional) O2 sensors
Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
cramer

My Ride: M3/M5/330cic
I did not replace the O2 sensors when I did the Beisan Kit. VCG for sure, and I did the oil filter housing gasket (since it appeared to be leaking).

cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
seattle330

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramer View Post
I did not replace the O2 sensors when I did the Beisan Kit. VCG for sure, and I did the oil filter housing gasket (since it appeared to be leaking).
Is the OFHG not much extra effort while already in there?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
cramer

My Ride: M3/M5/330cic
No, it's a job in itself. I was chasing oil leaks so it's one of those items that when you have top of the motor pulled off, just keep going http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659100

cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
seattle330

Quote:
No, it's a job in itself. I was chasing oil leaks so it's one of those items that when you have top of the motor pulled off, just keep going http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659100
Ugh, how long did that take you? I might have to do that as well.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
dirtypinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle330 View Post
So the Dr Vanos kit is basically a new Vanos with the improved seals while the Beisan kit just has the new seals and you re-use the rest of the Vanos? I imagine the rest of the Vanos doesn't deteriorate as much, so is there a reason to go with the Dr Vanos kit? I don't mind spending an extra $200, I just want to know if it'll be well spent....

I don't have any of the hiccuping or non-linear throttle response, but I reckon I've got a little bit of torque degradation at low RPMs and it'd be good to to the Vanos anyway for peace of mind. Looking through the Beisan DIY, it mentions replacing the VCG, which is a no-brainer, and also playing with the O2 sensors. Should one replace these as well while disassembling everything?

If people are serious about doing a group DIY on this, I would really love to join, as I don't trust myself enough to do it myself. Would people want to do it the weekend of the 24th so that we can all get the appropriate parts? If so, is the following list correct?
1. Beisan kit or Dr Vanos kit
2. VCG
3. (optional) O2 sensors
The Dr. Vanos is a rebuilt unit with the better seals and the rattle fix. You send your old one back to them. Its an extra hour or two after you pull the vanos off to replace the seals yourself if you go the beisan route. As for the other things to replace along the way, I just got everything that Beisan recommends on their website.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
dirtypinguin

Quote:
What a beauty E30 M3
Old 08-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
seattle330

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypinguin View Post
The Dr. Vanos is a rebuilt unit with the better seals and the rattle fix. You send your old one back to them. Its an extra hour or two after you pull the vanos off to replace the seals yourself if you go the beisan route. As for the other things to replace along the way, I just got everything that Beisan recommends on their website.
Ok, I'll go for the other recommended parts as well, may as well do so. I think I may go the Dr Vanos route to cut down on time and fix the rattle (haven't heard it yet, but may as well pre-empt it...).

How many people would be willing and able to do Saturday the 24th?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
seattle330

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle330 View Post

How many people would be willing and able to do Saturday the 24th?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
dirtypinguin

Hey I'm not going to be able to do it on the 24th. But lets pick another weekend to do it on.