E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #21
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RLOS View Post
Steel wool also works great to remove deep scratches from your paint. No joke, try it out!
This is a bad thing to post. It's borderline serious and someone might try it.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
the arm scratched my windshield. Deep scratch

STEEL WOOL TOOK OUT THE SCRATCH. It also polished my windshield.

I have done this before on other cars. Works every time. It doesn't scratch the windshield.
I've used 0000 steel wool on auto glass for years. It is sort of like clay for glass: it strips off everything from the surface of the glass, leaving it smooth and, as long as it isn't abraded, nearly invisible. It is used dry, with nothing else, on dry glass. Do not use SOS or Brillo. The link in the above post is how I get mine. BTW, 8 pads will last forever for one car.

Seems to work better than chemical-based cleaners such as Windex, vinegar+water, or Invisible Glass. (IN fact, the first time I used steel wool, cleaning with Invisible Glass was a prep step.) There is never any smearing or streaking and it can be used just as easily on hot glass or cold. No need for paper towels, newspaper, or MF cloths. It does take a bit of time the first time you use it: there are likely years of build-up on the glass. But as long as you keep up with it, it is pretty quick thereafter.

I have not, however, found that it removes scratches. To be able to do that, it would have to scratch the glass itself. It does not do that. What is may have done, is remove deposits that the arm left, or cleared away deposits on either side of the track that the arm left (or some combination).
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
This is what you want people, it is very common. You can find this at any home depot, lowe's, or hardware store...

There are different grades, OOOO is the finest, which is what you want

JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Not sure the steel wool actually removed scratches as someone else pointed out. May have removed paint transfer from the wiper blade or arm.

But the glass does get quite a bit of build up over the years on it. Steel wool, possibly a light application of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (be careful with the Magic Eraser, may want to test it out on an old drinking glass or jar before you get hard into your glass on your car) and rubbing compound and a buffer will easily clean and polish the glass. I have even seen people use corn starch as the final buffing powder as well. I have even seen people use sand paper to remove pits in glass fog light and head light lens. Starting with coarser paper, then moving to finer and finer grits. Not sure I would advise this on a windshield where optical clarity and lack of distortion is important.

Cerium is also the same stuff that is usually used for rock polishing as I recall. You may be able to pick up Cerium powder at your local hobby store and make it into a tooth paste consistency for deeper scratches? Cerium paste and buffing wheel may be needed for deeper scratches. But be very careful about localized heat build up when buffing or polishing glass with a lot of pressure and something like Cerium as you could have a problem with stress cracking due to uneven heat expansion. Just do not keep the buffer/polisher on the glass in the same spot with a lot of pressure for an extended period of time. Come of the glass with the buffer/polisher and let the glass cool between polishing.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Here is another suggestion for cleaning your windshield:

http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bonami.html
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
any particular steel wool grade/kind? or just buy grocery store ones?? i've actually never heard of this!
I actually used a Brillo pad on my fog lenses and they came out looking perfect. I just ran the sink water over them as I scrubbed lightly. I have the small circle OE ones though.

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944

Last edited by FastHackem; 02-27-2013 at 11:22 AM.
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
I used brilo pads from the grocery store.

It was a scratch

This isn't going to ruin the structural integrity of the windshield.

Last edited by glhx; 02-27-2013 at 11:57 AM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
you can also use a razor blade at the right angle (15 degree +/-) with a lubricant to knock off burs in the glass that are common from pitting -

these burs are what cut up your wiper blades and make them streak.

-j

Last edited by Bimmer4Lyfe; 02-28-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
glhx

Ill show that it works in a couple of days. I have an old windshield with a crack. Ill take. Knife to it and then steel wool and show the results.

Its kind of at your own risk. If yours is scratched then find a test window and try it out

Last edited by glhx; 03-01-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #30
joe77

My Ride: 00323i
DO NOT USE BRILLO,OR STEEL WOOL on your windshield.I own a autoglass and tint shop and changed alot of window's due to customer's using it.You will need cerium oxcide and a polishing wheel attached to a drill to remove fine scratche's.If yoyu can feel the scratche's with your finger nail then those are considerd deep scratche's and you will remove layer's of glass to get them out,which can result in warping your glass.My tinter uses 0000 steel wool to remove the glue off of the back window's with defogger's in order not to destroy the heater when we remove older tint when we replace it with are film.The steel wool wont take out scuff's or scratche's.

Last edited by joe77; 03-04-2013 at 10:35 AM.
joe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
You have structurally weakened your windshield by taking steel wool to it
When you have road debris hit the window or if you have a major collision, your windshield will no longer hold itself together and you will die a horrible death when it shatters into dozens of sharp pieces
[bimmerapp]
Nonsense!

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #32
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe77 View Post
DO NOT USE BRILLO,OR STEEL WOOL on your windshield.[...]My tinter uses 0000 steel wool to remove the glue off of the back window's with defogger's in order not to destroy the heater when we remove older tint when we replace it with are film.The steel wool wont take out scuff's or scratche's.
Huh?

0000 steel wool will not hurt a windshield. Agreed, it will not remove any scuff or scratch, but it does lift hard water deposits, stubborn insect and bird droppings, etc., just fine and rather quickly.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
joe77

My Ride: 00323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Huh?

0000 steel wool will not hurt a windshield. Agreed, it will not remove any scuff or scratch, but it does lift hard water deposits, stubborn insect and bird droppings, etc., just fine and rather quickly.
oooo steel wool will not hurt the glass but it won't help out his situation.He has a wiper arm scratch and need a polish.I am just trying to make a point of don't try a more abrassive steel wool.I do this for a living and been doing it for 17yrs already and my father started the business 40yrs ago so i seen alot of mistake's my costumer's have made this way.STEEL WOOL WILL NOT TAKE OUT SCUFF'S OR SCRATCHE'S

Last edited by joe77; 03-04-2013 at 06:11 PM.
joe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
oafmanwpr

My Ride: 2003 330xi 6sp manua
Anytime I've used steel wool to clean/detail anything I am always surprised how many small particles of it are left behind that turn to rust within a day or two. Especially when used with water you can wash those particles into areas you will never see. No thanks.
oafmanwpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
sunsetcoast

Of course, a function of how steel wool works means that it disintegrates into tiny pieces. But that isn't a big problem with windshields (one pad would suffice for a whole fleet of cars) and the "dust" is easily blown away, so no need to use water.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
glhx

This has been argued on this forum here and many others. Some of the newer cars ........I wouldn't do this on because of the plastic they are made out of. This Site Is for the e46...... Not he Prius. The windows are made of glass. If you are unsure then do a test spot on glass you don't care about. Some glass shop swear by this. It worked for me to get the scratch from my windshield.

So.......ill put it this way. If your windshield has an annoying scratch right in the middle of it. Try it. If it works awesome. If not.......well, I don't know. Ive never had it not work
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by oafmanwpr View Post
Anytime I've used steel wool to clean/detail anything I am always surprised how many small particles of it are left behind that turn to rust within a day or two. Especially when used with water you can wash those particles into areas you will never see. No thanks.
Get some brass or bronze wool - resists shedding, rust and corrosion (as opposed to steel wool, which can leave behind small fibers that can rust and discolor).
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #38
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe77 View Post
You will need cerium oxcide and a polishing wheel attached to a drill to remove fine scratche's.If yoyu can feel the scratche's with your finger nail then those are considerd deep scratche's and you will remove layer's of glass to get them out,which can result in warping your glass.
This. If the glass is scratched deeply enough, then the only safe, effective fix is a replacement windshield. The good news is that, if you don't have the rain-sensing wipers, the glass is not expensive.

And, if the windshield is already suffering from minor pitting (likely as the newest e46 is pushing 8 yrs old, it will seem much cleaner and be easier to drive behind, especially into the sun.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #39
Encryption76
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76 Send a message via Skype™ to Encryption76
Wanted to bump to add that I use 0000 steel wool + Mothers chrome polish to remove bad water streaks and spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Ok, hero. You help him. According to his post, here are his symptoms:

?
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:01 AM   #40
chet31

My Ride: 05 330i convertible
If steel wool could remove "deep" scratches, or even light scratches from glass, everybody would be using it. I will concede that steel wool can remove contaminants from glass, but call me skeptical that steel wool can remove scratches from glass. Why don't any of the detailing websites sell "steel wool to repair windshield glass?" I'll tell you why - it doesn't work. You need a product that is harder than glass on the Moh's hardness scale to cut glass. Steel is not harder than glass. Cerium oxide is harder than glass. You can buy cerium oxide kits that cut glass, but even these take a lot of work and a power buffer to remove minor scratches, with mixed results.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...each-sand.html
chet31 is offline   Reply With Quote