E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
The Texas Mile

www.texasmile.com

Has anyone done this? It looks insane. It's pretty far from me, but people closer should check it out. Full out one mile acceleration runs with 1/2 mile braking. Precise timing and such. Even a 200MPH club with only 'Busas...

Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
KtecR

My Ride: ZHP, S2K, 4Runner
Send a message via AIM to KtecR
Whoa thats really close to me. Too bad the next event is on my graduation date . How fast do you think a 328 or 330 could get up to ungoverned

2008 S2000: Chicane Silver/Red; 6 spd
2007 KLR 650
2004 330i ZHP: AW/Gray Leather; 6spd
1996 4Runner SR5: White/Tan
1980 CB400T

Sold:
2000 328Ci: TiAg/Black Leather; 5spd
2004 M3: TiAg/Black Leather; SMG
1995 318i: Arctic Gray/Gray Leather; 5spd
1986 325es: Red/Black Cloth; 5spd
KtecR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
czechchamp

My Ride: IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtecR View Post
Whoa thats really close to me. Too bad the next event is on my graduation date . How fast do you think a 328 or 330 could get up to ungoverned
Stock 330i ungoverned probably 155mph - 157mph

I went that fast in my dad's E39 530i in EU going to Prague.

2001 330i Sport | Manual | ASA | DICE | H&R | StopTech | ZHP rack | SOLD
czechchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
mko9

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
I just moved to San Antonio, and I am sorely tempted. It is only an hour or two south of here. My uncle up in Ft Worth just got a brand new Viper, and mentioned going.

I too am interested in how fast a 330i will go. Looking at some of the results, M5s are only making about 150mph. Mustang GTs are running in the 140s. I'm thinking a 3series will probably top out around 130-135mph. I have never drag raced my 330i, but I gather we run around 95-100mph. I know coming out of Oak Tree at VIR at about 45mph, I can make 125mph by the braking zone, which is about 3/4mi including the braking zone (and not at all flat). The car is still pulling strong, but you start covering a lot of ground really fast at those speeds. Not too much time to accelerate further.

Has anyone ever gone?

'04 BMW 330i ZHP
'08 Audi TT Roadster
'13 Land Rover LR4
mko9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
bigugly

My Ride: things that go fast.
I want to go in my M3, I KNOW I'll whack redline/5th and hit around 160-170.

Just don't want to tow my crap down to beeville, that's like a 5 hour drive! Blech.

the only thing I can't fix is broken hearts.
https://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
I want to be your BMW products' authorized installation center in Houston.
bigugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
wow, bump from the past.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
bigugly

My Ride: things that go fast.
**** sorry for adding to the necro thread

the only thing I can't fix is broken hearts.
https://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
I want to be your BMW products' authorized installation center in Houston.
bigugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
mko9

No point in starting a new thread on a topic that has already been covered.

'04 BMW 330i ZHP
'08 Audi TT Roadster
'13 Land Rover LR4
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
mko9

So I signed up, and I'm on the waiting list. I talked to a rep who said she can virtually guarantee I will be running by Saturday afternoon due to no shows and attrition. More to follow in October.

Now I just need to find a trackday at COTA.

'04 BMW 330i ZHP
'08 Audi TT Roadster
'13 Land Rover LR4
Old 11-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
mko9

Last week was the Texas Mile. I was originally on the wait list, but got an e-mail on Wednesday saying I was in. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of hotel space out there. I only had a room for Saturday night, and it was in a town an hour away. So I stuck with my plan to drive up on Saturday for the noon drivers' meeting, then run Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

Saturday afternoon was pretty windy, and given that this is run on a runway the wind was pretty much right in our face. Winds were 15-20mph. I ran my r-compounds, mostly because that wheel tire combo is much lighter than the OEM style 135s. I thought I would have plenty of traction, but lit them up a bit on the concrete runway. End result 132.2mph.

Sunday was nice and cool in the morning and the winds were calm. Unfortunately, we had an hour and a half delay for fog. I left DSC on figuring it would keep me from spinning off the line, and wouldn't have any major impact through the run since I am driving in a straight line. Apparently, I was wrong. With no headwind and temperatures about 20F cooler I ran a 131.3mph. Almost a full mile per hour slower. I got in a second run right before lunch, DSC off - 133.5mph. Got a final run just before 3pm - 133.7mph. If I had stuck around I probably would have got two more runs, but I needed to get packed up and home in time for dinner and putting the kids to bed.

Heading in to the event, I was hoping (foolishly) that I could make 140mph. After the first couple runs I was hoping to make 135mph. Overall, I did the event because it is less than 2hrs from San Antonio and I figured it would be fun. I don't think I would do it again without a new/different car or significant power adders. It was way more $$ than a Friday night at the drag strip and a day and a half of standing around for about the same number of runs.

Prep - this is an '04 330i ZHP sedan. I have the BMW Performance intake, BimmmerBrakes headers, Magnaflow exhaust, and a dyno tune. It puts about 232hp to the wheels (see dyno thread). As I said above, I ran my r-compound wheels/tires for the weight. Maybe I should have run the style 135 fronts, they would have weighed the same but been 225 instead of 255. I took the spare tire, jack, and floor mats out, but that was it for weight. I folded back the mirrors, since I didn't need them, but I didn't tape seams or anything silly like that.

Other BMWs:
- There was a guy in a silver, boosted e46 M3. I only spoke to him briefly. He said he made 154mph but then blew an ignition coil.
- There was a blue 135 convertible. He said he was running around 142mph.
- There was a clapped out 540i automatic that some guy was running because he blew the engine in his primary car. He only made about 120-something.
Lots of Corvettes, lots of Mustangs. Next biggest crowd was probably Cadillac CTS-Vs. Not as many Camaros. A guy in a Lambo ran 202mph. A guy in a Ford GT set a new record at 278mph.

I have a couple videos that I will try to hang and link.

'04 BMW 330i ZHP
'08 Audi TT Roadster
'13 Land Rover LR4

Last edited by mko9; 11-03-2013 at 08:06 AM.