E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
David@ApexRaceParts
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
APEX | E46 non-M Fitment – Staggered and Aggressive

E46 non-M Fitment – Staggered and Aggressive

Front: 18X9” ET31 EC-7 Rear: 18×10” ET43 EC-7

This is a much-wider-than-stock but surprisingly easy fitment with a few suspension mods. No spacers are necessary with this fitment, and as long as you have a minimum of -1.5 degrees of camber* up front and a fender roll in the rear, there are no clearance issues. With a little work to create the additional front camber you can give your E46 a much more aggressive look and significantly increase its handling performance.

It’s not easy to see but our test car is a lot more than a lowered BMW E46 on coilovers. It has had an S54 conversion, custom exhaust, and some very significant suspension modifications. Suffice to say, we want it. But even with its extensive modifications the car does represent this fitment as it will be on any E46 non-M: wide, aggressive, easy, and spacerless.

Specifications:
  • Car/chassis: 2002 e46 330i.
  • Wheel model: EC-7, Race Silver, 18X9” ET31 Front and 18X10” ET43 Rear.
  • Tires: 255/35/18 Toyo R1R front, 265/35/18 Hankook R-S3 rear
    • We mixed different tire models in our photos for testing only
  • Suspension: KW Variant 2 Coilovers.
  • Camber: -3.1 degrees in the front and -2.0 degrees in the rear.
  • Ride Height: 25.25” front and 25” rear.
  • Spacers: None.
  • Fenders and body modifications: Front and rear fenders were already rolled**, although the front was not necessary
  • Brakes:
    • Front: Alcon/Stasis 6-piston 365mm BBK
    • Rear: Rim – Stock brakes
  • Clearance
    • Front: Rim – Strut; 10mm, Tire – Fender; 1mm w/o fender roll – 6mm w/ fender roll.
    • Rear: Rim – Strut; 34mm, Tire – Fender; 6.5mm w/o fender roll, 11.5mm w/ fender roll.

* -1.5 degrees of front camber can be achieved through the use of camber plates or by punching out the Strut Locating Pin and sliding the top of the struts inward.
    ** Rolling fenders means to flatten the inner fender lip against the outer fender. Doing this creates, approximately, an additional 5mm of outer clearance.

Details: Tires, Suspension, Camber Plates, Spacer, Brakes
Wheels
The new 18×9" ET31 front wheel is similar to our previous 18×9" ET42 wheel which was commonly used with a 10-12mm spacer when meaty tires were used. This new offset accomplishes the same fitment without the need for spacers, and at the same time allowing for an increase in spoke concavity. The 31mm offset is only necessary to achieve the wheel to strut tube clearance required for extra meaty tires or for coilovers with long or cone shaped main springs. An alternate fitment that keeps the 9" wheel width, and in many cases even a 255/35/18 front tire, an 18×9" ET42 wheel can be used in combination with a 5mm spacer, allowing the effective offset to be 6mm more conservative.

The 18×10" ET43 wheel was created to allow for the fitment of a 10" wheel on the E46 non-m and some E36 applications. It is wider than our 18×9.5" ET43 wheel, but works for owners who are willing to roll their rear fender and/or add additional negative camber in the rear. The rear is definitely considered a flush fitment, and the 265 size on the 10" wheel allows for just enough stretch to allow this to fit. On cars with extra low suspension, or low cars with soft springs, marginal tire rub could still occur.

Tires
The 255/35/18 Toyo R1R in front and 265/35/18 Hankook R-S3 are much wider than stock. Both tires are true to size so you can feel comfortable choosing almost any street tire in these sizes, knowing they will fit easily.

The only tire size consideration is if a meaty tire such as an Toyo R888 will be used. This will run slightly wider than either of the tires used in our test and could cause inner and outer clearance issues.

Suspension
The E46 uses the KW V2 single adjustable coilovers. This fitment with the KW has more than enough clearance from the tire to the spring/spring perch in the front and over 30mm of clearance in the rear. Suffice to say, rubbing on the springs or struts is not a concern.

Camber and Camber Plates
Adding negative camber (camber angle) with camber plates is almost always recommended to customers looking to run a meaty tire in the front of a BMW. It creates more outer clearance without affecting clearance of the strut/spring in the front. “shimming” the strut is possible on some cars to add negative camber, although this method results in a reduction of wheel to strut tube clearance, and is not adjustable.

This E46 has quite a lot of camber in the front, -3.1, but we feel that this fitment would still be fine with -1.5. Coincidentally, you can get -1.5 degrees of camber on an E46 by knocking out the alignment pins on the strut hat. Even though they’re called alignment pins they only align the struts during production and have nothing to do with wheel alignment.

Spacers
Spacers are not needed for this fitment.

Brakes
The Alcon/Stasis 6-piston 365mm BBK on the front had 20mm of clearance to the barrel and the spokes. Needless to say, clearance for an OEM front brake isn’t a concern. As expected the rear brakes have no issues.

Summarize
This is an incredible fitment on an incredible car. Although it seems closer to a fitment for an M3 it isn’t. This is definitely for the E46 non-M. The minor modifications required allow you to run 255 and 265 tires without spacers. The increased tire width will increase handling but with that extra negative camber your handling performance will be more balanced and even better.

| David D. | 925.245.0773 x802 | david@apexraceparts.com | Facebook | Blog |
David@ApexRaceParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
hotkarl

My Ride: ZHP
BRAVO!

Great post, included all the details. Other vendors should take note.
Can you do a similar post with the Arc -8? Would the same wheel size and offset apply to the Arc – 8 as well?

FAIL
hotkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
All hail, Kalim!
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
+1 for David and Apex..!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
I want that S54 IR ZHP.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
I want that S54 IR ZHP.
Badged as a 332i

Looks completely normal to most people who don't know BMWs which is awesome

330i ZHP 6MT | H&R Sport Cup | BMW Performance | OEM Clears | Coby Wheel

Last edited by nike001; 08-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Krystian_E46

My Ride: E46 M3,AA3 ZHP,S544D
Send a message via AIM to Krystian_E46 Send a message via Skype™ to Krystian_E46
Looks awesome Kalim, the wheels definitely changed the look congrats to apex for making sexy wheels

Owner of many E46's :)
[Currently own 2004 M3, 2005 AA 2.5 Kit ZHP(SOLD), S54 Sedan, 01 330ci and 1 Coupe 1 Sedan 1 E46 M3 parts cars]

Krystian_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
I want that S54 IR ZHP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Badged as a 332i

Looks completely normal to most people who don't know BMWs which is awesome
Must not know Kalim, the God of E46Fanatics
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Does he work for Apex or just gets the special treatment for being a badass?

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
crazyxzer0

My Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
Kalim's car look awesome as usual. I'm curious how the fitment would be on my car.

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
David@ApexRaceParts
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
BRAVO!

Great post, included all the details. Other vendors should take note.
Can you do a similar post with the Arc -8? Would the same wheel size and offset apply to the Arc – 8 as well?
We will definitely be looking into making a fitment article with the ARC-8's. The wheel sizes and offsets in this article is only available with the EC-7's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyxzer0 View Post
Kalim's car look awesome as usual. I'm curious how the fitment would be on my car.
If you have the necessary suspension modifications and alignment settings, we don't see why it would not work on your car. It seems like you're local too, so feel free to call us if you want to set up something for a test fitment!

| David D. | 925.245.0773 x802 | david@apexraceparts.com | Facebook | Blog |
David@ApexRaceParts is offline   Reply With Quote