E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
venk25

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i
Question Both front brakes sticking. Stuck/Frozen calipers ?

A few days ago, I noticed typical symptoms for stuck caliper:

- car not moving while in a slight slope, in neutral with no brake applied (no eBrake either)
- decelerating faster than normal
- car felt like it lost some pulling strength/power
- steering wheel shaking (thought I had a flat)
- squeaking
- very hot front rotors after about 15 mins of driving. Rear rotors were normal.
- burnt smell from near front wheels

I jacked up the front end and confirmed front brakes are sticking. Wheels are not rotating freely and can hear pads-rotor friction.

Strange thing is BOTH front brakes are dragging, almost equally dragging. From what I've read here, though not impossible, its not probable that BOTH front calipers get stuck at the same time. Can anything else cause BOTH front brakes to stick at the same time suddenly ? Should I worry about something else or is it stuck calipers ?

BTW, my indy mechanic told the brake needs a fluid flush. I doubt if this could cause BOTH front brakes to stick, can it ?

There is a possibility that one caliper was partially stuck for a while and was barely noticeable; the second one started sticking recently and the symptoms became noticeable. But how likely is this ?

Thanks.
venk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
123Shift

My Ride: 2001 325i
Don't mean to drag up an old thread, but I found this one searching for a solution to my problem. I have the exact issue as the OP. Both front brakes are dragging. The OP got no responses but I hope some of you experts can help. Both front brakes are dragging equally. I jacked up the front and had to muscle the wheels a bit to move them. The right front was hanging up badly about 6 months ago so I replaced both front calipers and put anti seize grease on the slides. I need this car fixed ASAP anyone help me out? Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Shift View Post
Don't mean to drag up an old thread, but I found this one searching for a solution to my problem. I have the exact issue as the OP. Both front brakes are dragging. The OP got no responses but I hope some of you experts can help. Both front brakes are dragging equally. I jacked up the front and had to muscle the wheels a bit to move them. The right front was hanging up badly about 6 months ago so I replaced both front calipers and put anti seize grease on the slides. I need this car fixed ASAP anyone help me out? Thanks!!
No anti-seize should go on the guides. Maybe that's the problem.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Shift View Post
Noooo bueno on the anti-seize on the sliders. They supposed to be clean and dry. You probably need new caliper bushings now...
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Agree on above that no lube or grease on the guide bolts and that buildup there could be a contributing factor.
Take them apart and clean them up.

You make want to remove the calipers and squeeze the pistons in (I use a generic squeeze clamp I bought at Home Depot) to get a sense of piston movement.
I would bleed the brakes first so that you don't end up squeezing contaminated fluid upstream and take care that you don't overflow the brake fluid reservoir in doing so.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Well, bmw does say not to grease the guidepins, if that's the 'slider' you mean...but my remanned calipers came with grease on the bushings...so if it's brake grease (not anti-seize) that's not the reason they're both sticking. But, anti-seize does have metal particles in it...grease doesn't, so that could be it. If you mean where the pads slide on the caliper carrier, that's okay to grease and I know some use anti-seize there.

I'd start with bleeding. Also, after so many miles, the brake hoses can break down and 'give' under pressure which might affect things too.

Only other thing I recall reading about is the abs/dsc system going bonkers and holding the brakes. Can't give you a thread reference...you'd undoubtedly have a stored code, though, (I'd think) if it's a system issue. If it was one wheel, I'd say consider the speed sensor, but for both to fail, I think you'd want to look upstream...can't help you more than that I'm afraid.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
123Shift

I miss spoke. Its not anti seize- its brake grease. I'll try cleaning it off the pins. Maybe it built up behind the calipers and won't let them slide back? I'll see if that helps. I tried disabling the DSC- no help. I also thought about the hoses but to have it happen simultaneously seemed odd. I'll keep you posted. Wish I know how the OP made out as this has obviously happened before.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
the grease is not the reason, but you're welcome to clean it off the guidepins and bushings if you want. I have grease on mine...many have done it...no seizing. It's not that. It's against the bmw law, but it's not hanging up your calipers, not if you cleaned the guidepins and bushings before greasing them.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

Both front brakes sticking. Stuck/Frozen calipers ?

Doesn't matter what you call it. I've brought this to the light of day a while back and I've never ever ever seen anyone say it or say it as firm that I have in the past. Ill say it again: BMW specifically instructs that caliper guide pins must be CLEAN and FREE of any grease. Period. That means absolutely nothing on them but AIR.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Both front brakes sticking. Stuck/Frozen calipers ?

Now your problem may be something else I don't know without seeing the vehicle. But I do know about the topic of guides

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
123Shift

So if the grease isn't the problem, what else could cause it? I'll clean the grease off but the only reasons brakes drag, that I'm familiar with, is hoses and calipers, and the calipers have less then 10k miles on them. Maybe I'll try the hoses but it seems funny that they would both go at the exact same time and cause the exact same amount of drag on the rotor. Thanks for all the input. And Mango- If you want to make a trip to NY you're welcome to see the car. Maybe grab a dmax show while you're at it...

Last edited by 123Shift; 08-16-2013 at 08:59 PM.
123Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Now your problem may be something else I don't know...
He wants to be clear on that.

Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
123Shift

If anyone is interested in the outcome, I replaced both front hoses and the caliper guide pins. One was rusted and pitted so I just replaced all of them. Found that odd since it was only about 6 mos. old. Brakes are no longer dragging. We'll see how long it lasts. Thanks to those who gave me input. And Mango- nothing but air on my guide pins this time. As per BMW.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
kdavidson

My Ride: 1997 328ic
Did you do the flush as well? I can't see both brakes dragging from contaminated fluid unless its in an area that splits the two brake lines. I think its called the combination valve.
kdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
123Shift

I bled them out pretty good. Went through about 1.5 qt. to get all (or most) of the air out. O didn't bleed the rears and the pedal feels a little soft. I picked up more brake fluid last night and I'll start bleeding the rears and then hit the fronts again to see it that stiffen the pedal up.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
tool2510

My Ride: 2001 330ci
check part #34336751108 confirm it is not cloged
tool2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
123Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2510 View Post
check part #34336751108 confirm it is not cloged
This is just a vacuum hose correct? I won't introduce any air into the brake system by removing it to confirm it's not clogged, right?

I re-bled the entire system going through another 32oz. of fluid using a pneumatic bleeder. Started at the caliper farthest from the reservoir and ended at the nearest. The pedal still feels a little soft but not too bad. It does however have a lot more travel before braking takes effect. It goes down a lot farther than it did before. The brake fluid level is just slightly below max.

Last edited by 123Shift; 08-25-2013 at 10:05 PM.
123Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #18
tool2510

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Yes, just a air vacum. If you remove it the brakes auto-lock. Check it make sure it is not clogged thus reducing the vacum.
tool2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
123Shift

Didn't last too long. A bit better than a week. Both front brakes are again dragging. Not seized, but not releasing completely. Checked the vacuum hose and it seemed fine. Anyone else have a suggestion before I have to break down and call the mechanic?? Hate to do it but I'm running out of options. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
123Shift

Just to re-iterate so as to avoid confusion. Both calipers replaced about 6 mos ago after the right front seized. Both front brake hoses replaced. Flushed entire system with pneumatic bleeder, however pedal still feels a little soft. I believe there may still be a little air in the system somewhere. The reservoir was never emptied to the ABS should be OK.. Both front brakes are dragging intermittently. Not all the time, but most of the time. When I jack up the front end, I can still turn the wheels but there is a significant amount of friction. They don't grab hard enough for me to really smell them at highway speeds but they do sometimes cause a vibration which typically starts slowly, becomes more sever and subsequently fades away. Rack your brilliant minds and see what you come up with. Again it's both fronts dragging equally. Rears are fine. Thanks again guys.

Tags
stuck brakes, stuck caliper