E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
PA Soft can't find my DSC!

Hello BMW Experts!

I have been trying to fix my DSC/ASC/BRAKE(red) light trifecta for a few weeks now, with no success, so now I am bringing to the 'Suspension & Brake' section in case some brake expert doesn't go to the 'General' section.
Yesterday a very nice Fanatic hooked up my car to PA Soft for a reading. The program couldn't find the ASC/DSC system at all. The good man did clear my SES codes, but that's all (unfortunately, I don't have a printout of the PA Soft results).
Needless to say I was stumped, but so was the PA Soft guy. He suggested that I start replacing the wheel sensors.

Before taking the car to him, I was this close to buying PA Soft for myself. Now I am wondering if one of the other diagnostic programs have a better record of working with the brake problems.

'01 330i manual (4/2001 build)
The Peake codes: 19 82 76 d6
But then I was sent to FC again, and an 'h' came up, followed by: 31 39, which I don't see in the Peake tables.

Table 19:
82: Timeout, can -asc1
76: Throttle position sensor 1, plausibility, range, or performance.
D6: Vehicle speed not present
(am I reading this right?)

Symptoms:
DSC lite yellow
"BRAKE" lite red
ASC lite yellow
No speedo, odometer, fuel mileage info
No auto door locking when moving
Outside temp only taken once, upon startup
Wipers have two intermittent positions, one speed adjustable, but only one 'on all the time' speed, not two
Gas gauge not buffered, but goes up & down as the car corners

Any help is appreciated, TIA! Murf

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
I would check your battery first, low voltage causes odd electrical activity. After that maybe start checking grounding points, they can become loose of corroded.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
LittleBear

Hi Will, Thanks for the reply.
Battery is less than 3 yrs old, as is the alternator & I guess the voltage regulator (isn't that part of the alternator on these?).

Rest: 12.38v
On: ~14.1v

As for the grounds, where do I start (there must be a million of them)?

Murf
Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
I know there 2 grounding posts in the trunk of my sedan behind the left and right panels, also the one under the hood by the hinge. The tricky ones to get to are under the carpet so I hope it's not those. Could just be a speed sensor too, maybe try a generic scanner and see what you come up with?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Those three lights are quite commonly had. Often, I believe it is wheel speed sensors, but I also think there are other causes for that trifecta of lights.

I know if you search for the three lights in a thread title search, you'll find much better guesses...and solutions. That the reader can't read your codes might be because that system is part of the safety features of the car...I know some readers like the Peake can't access that system, which includes airbags. Maybe there's a way to unlock that feature...maybe you have an issue with wiring, but I'd start with simple first.

Take it to an autozone and see if its scanner picks up anything.

But, search using title search "dsc asc brake" should do it.

Also, you might look at the wires/connections for the wheel sensors first...we've had issues with that when the sensor is fine.

hth

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
LittleBear

Thanks Dmax,
I think I've searched & read about 50 threads on the subject! Most say first clean the wheel speed sensors, change the speed sensors, or scan & find which sensor (wheel, steering, yaw, etc.) to replace (330iandr6). So the first thing I did was clean the little magnet buggers & check the car-end connection of the 4 wheel sensors.
But when scanned with PA Soft; it says I don't have DSC/ASC, which seems to suggest a deeper problem. So is the Autozone scanner better? I thought not...?

Murf
Old 08-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Joan Lynn

My Ride: 2000 323i
I've had the same issue with PA soft, past two days plugged it in and could not get the ABS/DSC errors read, thought I try it again this morning and wallah, there it is. I think it's just one of those things you have to try multiple times for it to finally connect to everything. But I still had to jumper pins 7 and 8 and buy the 16 to 20 pin adapter cable to get it to work. My car a 2000 323i produced in late '99 with both 20 and 16 pin diagnostic plugs.
Joan Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP,

Joan might be onto something...especially if you have the round connector under the hood. My understanding is that if you have that, that's where you need to hook the computer up to...might be as simple as that.

If you don't have that connector under the hood, I don't know if PA Soft can do that. Terraphntom (that's not the spelling, but maybe he'll come by) is really good with computers...also Cyberkaa. Gheybe used to be good with fashion advice!

Also, maybe SolidJake or some mod can move this to General where maybe someone knows more. You probably have a bad wheel speed sensor...maybe...but reading the system seems like it'd be important in any case so you can clear the codes/lights and get inspected.

Did you have any other work done just prior to these lights? I love proximate causes. A pothole hit, flatspotted wheel might be an indication of whether a speed sensor/hub was actually damaged. I believe the cleaning of magnets is believed to be a myth...though maybe one or two got lucky! I know I'd read of this...but then later read...probably not. Anyway, any issue related to a wheel might bear extra looking at wires and connections...

Good luck getting a signal to the laptop!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
LittleBear

Well, I don't have PA Soft or other (yet), so getting multiple readings might put out the nice fanatic who did this reading for me. The guy also thought it could be the port question, but I have a 4/01 330i with no under hood port, only the under dash port.
The lights started to come on in the middle of a nice easy trip back from the mountains, with no rain or other suspicious happenings. So, at least 500 miles since I even touched the car maintenance wise. Maybe ~ 600 miles before the lights came on I had a trip when I had to drive through a lot of standing water, but....
I have a car with an odd wheel sensor, being used on very few cars, so I can't find one costing less than ~ $115. or so. I would gladly buy one, but I hope to not have to buy two, etc. (I would rather buy a diagnostic setup), thus I am asking for knowledge here.
Before this PA Soft reading I had a thread or two in the General section, didn't get a solution, nothing definitive, so I started this one here.
It sure seemed to be symptoms of a bad lft rr wheel sensor, but then with PA Soft not detecting any DSC/ASB system at all (it detected most everything else about the car so was getting a signal; got rid of my DRLs finally!), I am re-thinking what the prob may be. Maybe Ms. Lynn has the best suspicion presently. I'm not sure what diagnostic prog my mechanic has, but the PA Soft guy thought I would get similar results no matter what the garage has.
Tomorrow I will switch the rt. rr with the lft. rr wheel sensor, and see what happens.

Murf

Last edited by LittleBear; 08-05-2013 at 08:29 PM.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
LittleBear

I switched the rear speed sensors side to side, took the car around the block, but all my lights are still on. Will they clear themselves after miles, or must they be reset (which PA Soft couldn't do on the first try)?
And the speedo still doesn't work.

Murf

Last edited by LittleBear; 08-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
renzito75

My Ride: E46
PA Soft can't find my DSC!

They will go off by it self, wait for about a week,that happened to me couples months ago, it is the wheel speed sensors.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
renzito75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
LittleBear

Talking

Hello BMW Experts!
My CREADER VII+ finally came! Unfortunately, it hasn't shed any light on my brake light trifecta prob (details in post #1 of this thread). These are the readings I'm getting from it:

DME/DDE: 130, 82 signal, CAN, ASC/DSC
ABS/ASC/DSC: Fault in communication with ECU.

Similar to what the PA Soft reading gave me: it couldn't find my ASC/DSC, saying I didn't have it.

I called the two reman companies, but BBA is on vacation today (Columbus Day), and Module Master says they can't fix the ATE/Teves Mark 60 which is on my car ('01 330i).

Well, at least I'm not getting the E4 code any more (got code once, ordered parts ), even thought I haven't change any hoses or boots yet!

I'm going on two months with this prob, please help if you can!!

Murf
Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Brissyjohn

My Ride: 2003 325ti
Copied from my post in the general section.

I've had the DSC + yellow Brake Light "bifecta" on and off for the last 18 months - currently off again. I get the same codes 5e20 (pressure sensor 1 accident recognition) and 5e24 (pressure sensors not plausible) all the time. The codes were read using my indi's Snap On scanner.