E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
basketball00011

My Ride: 2006 R6
Better alignment or camber plates?

Hey guys so I just bought this 03 330ci. The previous owner put H&R coiloveds on it. Not sure which ones, but he set them to low as they can go. I just put tires on it (staggered) and got it aligned. But I can visually see my rears have excessive negative camber and can also see my front has some too. I just put FCAB in before the alignment and it handles a ton better with the alignment but I'm afraid of rapid inside tire wear.

Now the alignment shop said they got no way of printing out the specs for me. So now I know not to go back to them. But I'm a tech at a shop and we don't have an alignment machine so we get a discount thru these guys. Now I've done some more reading but am confused on whether I NEED camber plates/arms or not. What are your suggestions. If I corner hard it wants to under steer currently and I want more of an aggressive handling car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377633704.066133.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	523939Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377633720.822485.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	523940

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by basketball00011; 08-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.
basketball00011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball00011 View Post
Hey guys so I just bought this 03 330ci. The previous owner put H&R coiloveds on it. Not sure which ones, but he set them to low as they can go. I just put tires on it (staggered) and got it aligned. But I can visually see my rears have excessive negative camber and can also see my front has some too. I just put FCAB in before the alignment and it handles a ton better with the alignment but I'm afraid of rapid inside tire wear.

Now the alignment shop said they got no way of printing out the specs for me. So now I know not to go back to them. But I'm a tech at a shop and we don't have an alignment machine so we get a discount thru these guys. Now I've done some more reading but am confused on whether I NEED camber plates/arms or not. What are your suggestions. If I corner hard it wants to under steer currently and I want more of an aggressive handling car.

Attachment 523939Attachment 523940

Wow. You need to toss whatever garbage the previous owner installed on that car in the garbage. Your roll center is massively and negatively altered and no wonder why you car handles like crap. Way way way way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too low.

Last, you don't need camber plates to be at or near decent alignment specs. Don't get camber plates to fix problems, get camber plates to complement quality suspension components. Whatever you have on your car isn't it.

If they are quality, raise it up WAY way higher and go from there. these aren't hondas--there is plenty of adjustability for respectable suspension height.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
basketball00011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Wow. You need to toss whatever garbage the previous owner installed on that car in the garbage. Your roll center is massively and negatively altered and no wonder why you car handles like crap. Way way way way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too low.

Last, you don't need camber plates to be at or near decent alignment specs. Don't get camber plates to fix problems, get camber plates to complement quality suspension components. Whatever you have on your car isn't it.

If they are quality, raise it up WAY way higher and go from there. these aren't hondas--there is plenty of adjustability for respectable suspension height.

Okay, they are actual H&R's, i checked but yes it is extremely low, i know. Planned on lifting it back up in winter getting new rims anyways, but was gonna wait..
Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Okay, they are actual H&R's, i checked but yes it is extremely low, i know. Planned on lifting it back up in winter getting new rims anyways, but was gonna wait..
You should do it now. Riding that low is dangerous and will also destroy your car including the suspension. I can provide more information on several levels of detail depending on how comfortable you are with explanations. But yeah it's not good. at all.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
basketball00011

Quote:
You should do it now. Riding that low is dangerous and will also destroy your car including the suspension. I can provide more information on several levels of detail depending on how comfortable you are with explanations. But yeah it's not good. at all.
More information is welcome. I'm no n00b when it comes to cars. (BMW tech for 2 years) just new to the lowering and coilover scene.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
More information is welcome. I'm no n00b when it comes to cars. (BMW tech for 2 years) just new to the lowering and coilover scene.

Ok for one, (besides the info I gave you on drastically and negatively altering your roll center) what do you think happens to your rear inner upper and lower control arm bushings at that suspension height? THat's right, theyre going to prematurely wear (as if they aren't worn enough) that's part of the reason i recommend raising it asap.

there's at least 5 other issues i can think off off the top of my head that are even worse.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
basketball00011

I expect that to happen whenever lowering a car. I know my height will speed up the effect. My front bushings are all replaced. But I get what your saying. I know my handling is sacrificed as well.

I think I'm gonna look at getting rear camber arms and just putting them on once I'm lifted back up

Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I expect that to happen whenever lowering a car. I know my height will speed up the effect. My front bushings are all replaced. But I get what your saying. I know my handling is sacrificed as well.

I think I'm gonna look at getting rear camber arms and just putting them on once I'm lifted back up

Just curious what for?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
basketball00011

Quote:
Just curious what for?
You know now that you ask me. I don't know haha. Since if I lift it back up I should be able to get back to the specs I want.

I'm looking for an aggressive driving style. I want to get rid of under steer as much as possible. Without getting a square setup and front roll bar. Factory adjustments should be able to handle this right?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
You know now that you ask me. I don't know haha. Since if I lift it back up I should be able to get back to the specs I want.

I'm looking for an aggressive driving style. I want to get rid of under steer as much as possible. Without getting a square setup and front roll bar. Factory adjustments should be able to handle this right?

Yeah you're best off refreshing the suspension, bushings included, and good tires.

Also i'd do a quad m3 balljoint install/mod on your car. since you are a tech, you know what that is

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Just curious what for?
The camber in the rear of the car is affected. Adjustable rear control arms/camber kits are required when you lower the car this much as it's affecting suspension geometry. Installing these parts allow technicians or said professionals be able to adjust within spec to correct said issues. What the heck do you mean " what for?" Ops car is pretty low, it's obviously too low. Don't ask questions you don't have the answer to. Learn. Grand superpatriot, heh. Ever wonder why you still aren't a mod after so long?

Last edited by always-there; 02-06-2014 at 03:04 PM.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I

Last edited by always-there; 02-06-2014 at 03:03 PM.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:

Mango's right about the ride height. For best handling, you need enough suspension travel to absorb mid-corner bumps and stay off the bump stops. Hit the stops and you lose suspension compliance and traction.

Moderate lowering, along with increased spring rate and shocks designed to handle that spring rate, is really the way to go.

To reduce understeer, I'd set rear camber at stock settings, add a little negative camber up front (maybe -1.0 to -1.5 degrees for a street-driven car) and fit a larger adjustable rear anti-roll bar. Since the bar is stiffer, start at its softest setting (end links as far out on the bar as possible) and drive the car to make sure it's not too tail-happy. Still too much push? Move both end links in to the next adjustment hole, and test-drive again.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting

Last edited by bee-em-dougle-u; 02-06-2014 at 03:33 PM.
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote