E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
325ci_c150

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Coilovers?

So recently i blew my rear strut, fluid was on the ground beneath it, it clunks,rides like **** and so on. So i decided it'd probly be a good time to upgrade the suspension since it has 162,000 miles on the stock sports package suspension. Since im only 18 and going to college im on a budget of $500. The street edge coilovers have caught my eye. Im leanin towards coilovers because i feel like putting springs and struts together would be a pain to do. And i like the look of them lowered, but not slammed. It is my DD but i also like to do several auto cross events during the summer months. So im trying to find a good kit for what i do, just looking for suggestions and what youve done.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Coilovers?

If you lower there will be other things to replace/maintain. And $500 isn't a good budget for all of those things. Since this is very important, perhaps try and buy some used suspension to at least make your car safe for now.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
A $500 budget is just asking for further problems down the road... Either with cheap parts or with worn parts not getting replaced. I agree with Marshmallow; see if you can find somebody that's recently upgraded a still good condition suspension and buy their old parts cheap. If you decide to go new, assembling springs and struts really isn't that bad.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Just to throw it out there: I just did the Street Edge kit on mine, as a DD. No tracks will be seen. And for the price the kit was, double your budget for the rest - new mounts, etc. Because if you're going to be replacing the struts/shocks, you're gonna need new rear shock mounts, and reinforcement plates. Fronts, you'll need the new strut mounts, reinforcement plates there as well. Not to mention other bushings like CABs and RTABs and whatnot. And that's not counting if any of the clunking is due to subframe mounts/damage. And, if you're planning on doing any tracking, then you should be making a list of everything else, like the subframe kit, new tie rods, sway bar bushings and so forth. With 162k on the stock stuff, you're going to need to replace pretty much everything in order to feel at ease doing any auto-xing. I'm probably being generous when I say you should figure a good 2k instead of 500 bucks. Not trying to be harsh, just realistic. I spent $1000 just between the kit, and mounts and stuff, and then there was brakes, sensors, and then it was "well I might as well do this" a few times, and next thing I know, I've spent $2000. Because once you get into it, you're gonna realize what's wearing out, what's worn, and what is going to be soon. Just how it works.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Just to throw it out there: I just did the Street Edge kit on mine, as a DD. No tracks will be seen. And for the price the kit was, double your budget for the rest - new mounts, etc. Because if you're going to be replacing the struts/shocks, you're gonna need new rear shock mounts, and reinforcement plates. Fronts, you'll need the new strut mounts, reinforcement plates there as well. Not to mention other bushings like CABs and RTABs and whatnot. And that's not counting if any of the clunking is due to subframe mounts/damage. And, if you're planning on doing any tracking, then you should be making a list of everything else, like the subframe kit, new tie rods, sway bar bushings and so forth. With 162k on the stock stuff, you're going to need to replace pretty much everything in order to feel at ease doing any auto-xing. I'm probably being generous when I say you should figure a good 2k instead of 500 bucks. Not trying to be harsh, just realistic. I spent $1000 just between the kit, and mounts and stuff, and then there was brakes, sensors, and then it was "well I might as well do this" a few times, and next thing I know, I've spent $2000. Because once you get into it, you're gonna realize what's wearing out, what's worn, and what is going to be soon. Just how it works.
This is the right way of doing things. If these things do not matter to you then ya $500 works. All of the things mentioned above are things we recommend.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
325ci_c150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
This is the right way of doing things. If these things do not matter to you then ya $500 works. All of the things mentioned above are things we recommend.
are you guys offering any kind of discount or coupons on the street edge coilovers?

and ill probly end up replacing all the other parts down the line but for now this is all i want to do
Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Not to rain on any upcoming parades, but even if that's the route you want to go (the "do this part now, the rest later" part), make sure you still have a buffer for parts to replace as you go in. You'd be so much better off even just buying a stock replacement rear to hold you over, but if you insist on the kit, you're likely going to find plenty of worn or broken pieces you didn't even know about, that are going to need to be replaced. And adding a kit is going to just place more added stress on parts that are that old already. Be prepared to replace things a lot sooner than you're expect, unless you really could care less about the overall handling and safety of your car. I personally wouldn't trust stock mounts that are that old, with new components bolted to them.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
325ci_c150

Quote:
Not to rain on any upcoming parades, but even if that's the route you want to go (the "do this part now, the rest later" part), make sure you still have a buffer for parts to replace as you go in. You'd be so much better off even just buying a stock replacement rear to hold you over, but if you insist on the kit, you're likely going to find plenty of worn or broken pieces you didn't even know about, that are going to need to be replaced. And adding a kit is going to just place more added stress on parts that are that old already. Be prepared to replace things a lot sooner than you're expect, unless you really could care less about the overall handling and safety of your car. I personally wouldn't trust stock mounts that are that old, with new components bolted to them.
i just priced new mounts for front and rear at $90 which isnt bad, ill do that but replacing bushings and different ball joints that may go bad dsnt make sense for me to replace now, id wait to do them plus some of them might of already been replaced ive owned the car for a year and put 10,000 miles on it and everythings been tight until a pothole blew my rear strut
Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Red 90

My Ride: 325i
Keep in mind when you lower the car, you should do an alignment as well. I would stay away from the racelands if you can. They may work fine to begin with but will likely degrade very quickly. With your budget, I'd just for a set of replacement shocks and save up till I can do it properly.
Red 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ci_c150 View Post
are you guys offering any kind of discount or coupons on the street edge coilovers?

and ill probly end up replacing all the other parts down the line but for now this is all i want to do
We have our facebook coupon that is still valid. Top mounts from PelicanParts.com run about $29 each.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
325ci_c150

i ended up deciding on just replacing the rear shock, figured save up untill i have a good cushion of $$ for coilovers, once i start flight instructing next year i should be making some good money where i can finally do some mods to her
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Coilovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ci_c150 View Post
i ended up deciding on just replacing the rear shock, figured save up untill i have a good cushion of $$ for coilovers, once i start flight instructing next year i should be making some good money where i can finally do some mods to her
Make sure you replace BOTH rear shocks. NEVER replace just 1 strut/shock. They should always be done in pairs or all 4...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: TOO MANY TO LIST
Send a message via AIM to MJM Distributing Send a message via Yahoo to MJM Distributing
For non-M cars, we have both the Bilstein and KONI Coilovers in stock and ready to ship same day from $999.95 with free shipping.

All Bilstein PSS10 and KONI Coilover Kits (made in Europe) offer rebound dampening adjustability and come with a lifetime warranty. Feel free to PM for pricing.

Things to ask when buying cheap coilovers:

- Where are they made? They are made in China?
- Do they have a lifetime warranty? If not, why not?
- If they're too stiff, are they adjustable for softness or firmness?
MJM Distributing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Importjunkie

My Ride: 00 Prelude
Quote:
Well said! Exactly what I'm probably going to do
Importjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilover, street edge, suspension