E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
HiHoBrian

My Ride: 05 M3
Non-SBR Suppressed SBR question

Im looking to build one of my ARs into a suppressed rifle and have an idea of modding a 10" barrel by welding on an extension tube that has an ID greater than the size of the suppresser tube. Effectively making the barrel 16" OAL.Then thread the suppressor on the barrel threads inside the tube. Based on how I have read the definition of a barrel I believe this meets the requirements. I think the tube may need some cooling slots as well.
Eventually I will apply for a tax stamp to legally SBR it but for now this might be something to play with. Is this a stupid idea or has it been done before?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
What? I don't...

You want to buy a ten inch barrel and weld on some kind of an extension that has an inner diameter greater than that of a suppressor so the suppressor will slip inside of it?

No. Stahp. What are you doing? Go go home Brian, you are drunk.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I too am genuinely confused...

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
HiHoBrian

Re: Non-SBR Suppressed SBR question

This is a pic of adifferent platform all together but the idea is similar. The external tube is permanant to the barrel and the suppressor can be removed for use on other firearms and the rifle never goes full SBR. Click image for larger version

Name:	1377561006390.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	523876

Last edited by HiHoBrian; 08-26-2013 at 07:50 PM.
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Non-SBR Suppressed SBR question

Why don't you just build an ar pistol... Then sbr it and no need for stupid welded barrel contraption

Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
HiHoBrian

Because I am in CT and my Governor is an idiot. I can never buy any AR Varient of any kind ever again unless the gun bill is repealed or I move. This idea would be just to hold off on actually SBR'ing the rifle at least until next year. I'm not sure how our new "assault weapon" registration process will work if I am "making an SBR". It could land me in the news and in jail for 10 years because no one can interpretate the new laws.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

NFA Handbook, Chapter 2, Section 2.5
Firearms, except machineguns and silencers, that are subject to the NFA fall within the various definitions due to specific features. If the particular feature that causes a firearm to be regulated by the NFA is eliminated or modified, the resulting weapon is no longer an NFA weapon.

For example, a shotgun with a barrel length of 15 inches is an NFA weapon. If the 15- inch barrel is removed and disposed of, the remaining firearm is not subject to the NFA because it has no barrel.
Likewise, if the 15 inch barrel is modified by permanently attaching an extension such that the barrel length is at least 18 inches and the overall length of the weapon is at least 26 inches, the modified firearm is not subject to the NFA. NOTE: an acceptable method for permanently installing a barrel extension is by gas or electric steel seam welding or the use of high temperature silver solder having a flow point of 1100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
NFA will always be grand fathered in with a AWB, At one time there were many top machine gun gurus out of California. Even today there's a ton of grand fathered weapons.

Once NFA they cant touch your item like they could otherwise.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
HiHoBrian

I get that they would be granfathered in, but I'm unsure about the "making an SBR" after the ban. I dont know how that is interpreted. For now pinning or welding a tube to a shorter barrel can net me a finished rifle close to the original length. And if done well like in the pic above doesn't look to bad IMO.
By the rules I believe I am GTG by doing that.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
tailo

Legality wise your fine, if they banned SBR's then they will refund your stamp if the process is not complete. The ATF will not grant a stamp for a state that it is banned in. IF they did and you were arrested after federal government approval I could see a NICE lawsuit.

I'd do it and forget the useless device.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Exactly...it'll cost you more to make an extension properly and have it welded on that it would to pay the $200 stamp and truly SBR it.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
HiHoBrian

I get that its 200 $ and done,but CT is almost as bad as Cali now. Maybe worse. As most of you know ATF Form 1 is to MAKE an sbr. In CT I belive filling out the form is now criminal intent and if it gets approved and I "MAKE" the rifle into an SBR then I would have just built an "assault weapon" and is 10 years in jail.

I did some more searching and welding the tube has been done many times before for this same reason and I am a fabricator by trade so it is the direction I will head until I can get conformation from a lawyer. Ill post pics of my project after I get a barrel.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Can you make Jeep bumpers?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
tailo

Looks like as long as you comply with the ban laws its fine. Pay alittle extra and get a pre ban receiver so you can have the good stuff.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=26&t=455599

So when are yall going to get fed up and start building what ever you want? The gobberment can only push us so far before people start bringing out the jigs.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
HiHoBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Can you make Jeep bumpers?
I can absolutly make jeep bumpers. A had a private "buisness" I called Beef Duty Bumper. I've made at least a dozen. Some were air tanks, all had 1" thick shackle mounts, a few were powder coated.

As for preban, I already have one. I p1ssed away all the extra cash to get one and then there was the great tragedy of 2013...the signing of SB1094 and PA 13-3. Now my preban is a pre-preban and ALL AR types, copys, varients including rimfire can not be transfered sold or bought in any way within the state unless you are LEO or GOV ect... any in possession must be registered and only sold out of state. Same for mags. The catch is once you reg it, its slide stocks, flash hiders and vfgs for everyone! (Because now it is "ASSAULT WEAPON)

There is one amendment in Sec11 exempting preban from registration but i was told following that is discourged on the basis of legilslative intent.
This is for a whole other thread that no one would want to talk about tho.

Edit:that link was from 2011 when preban was still doable in ct

Last edited by HiHoBrian; 08-27-2013 at 07:18 PM.
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
tailo

Time to bail.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
HiHoBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Time to bail.
Ha! I need to figure out how to put that in my sig!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
tailo

All I can say is ignore the laws or move to a free state.

I'd feel like I was in the middle of red dawn in CT.

Last edited by tailo; 08-27-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
I can absolutly make jeep bumpers. A had a private "buisness" I called Beef Duty Bumper. I've made at least a dozen. Some were air tanks, all had 1" thick shackle mounts, a few were powder coated.
We definitely need to talk. I had a guy fab a bumper/carrier for my TJ which is getting powder coated right now. I would like to get a new front bumper at done point as well. If I can support a fanatic in the process then it works out for both of us.

Regarding your current dilemma I've never seen it done, but it sounds like you have done your homework. The ATF rules seem to support it, but are you SURE that you want to proceed into a gray area of the law? In the end, you need to ask yourself is it worth it?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
HiHoBrian

Update: I have learned that in CT most towns are still signing NFA paperwork.As long as the firearm is AWB compliant or registered, SBRs are still allowed. So I am in the process of getting my fingerprints done and the forms hopefully signed.

Since then I have found the origin of my example pic. This link is for a 10/22 SB-X barrel. It is exactly what I was thinking of doing with an AR barrel. http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ca...arrel-upgrades