E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Mrob

My Ride: '01 3-Pedal 330i
Koni FSD question

I am looking into getting a Koni FSD setup with the Eibach springs. I wanna know if I will need spacers / camber kit to drop the full 1.4". Also, should I buy the $340 install kit which is seperate from the actual cup kit?

I am running M68 wheels with sport suspension on my 01 330i.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrob View Post
I am looking into getting a Koni FSD setup with the Eibach springs. I wanna know if I will need spacers / camber kit to drop the full 1.4". Also, should I buy the $340 install kit which is seperate from the actual cup kit? Post up a link to this.

First buy ans install the FSD / Eibach (Sportline or Pro-Kit ?), then assess if you
need spacers. Concerning the camber kit: remember, as you go lower you Automatically get more Negative camber. So camber plates may not be necessary.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Buy these, and mix them with FSD's #2100 4006.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=940061

The seller has had these for sale for quite awhile, offer less.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Mrob

My Ride: '01 3-Pedal 330i
I dunno. 30K on them makes me feel a little uneasy. If there's anything I've learned in the short time that I've owned my car- buying new parts saves more money in the long run. Thanks for taking the time to look for me though. And I will be looking for the pro-kit.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
drumsauce

My Ride: 2000 323it
No, you will not need a camber kit. Suspension refresh is a good idea since you will be in there already, but cannot comment on the "install kit" as I am not familiar.

FWIW, on my touring, the front and rear came down a little less than an inch all around on the exact same setup. Best ride quality/handeling combo you can buy for e46. You will love it.
drumsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Afrodeezyak

My Ride: TiAg ///M
Re: Koni FSD question

I've been running this kit for about a month now and I didn't need spacers or chamber plates. Its a bit on the soft side for my liking but ride comfort is great. Looking at swapping them out for some coilovers now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: TOO MANY TO LIST
Send a message via AIM to MJM Distributing Send a message via Yahoo to MJM Distributing
You will not need spacers to run any Eibach product or any KONI product. Also, keep in mind that the FSD Shocks are not a full-on racing damper like the KONI Sports are, but the perfect medium between a stock shock and performance valved shock. In fact, KONI FSD Shocks are not approved to be used with any springs other than a stock spring, and of course, the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs. We met with a KONI engineer for dinner at SEMA one year and were explained the reasoning behind this. The Eibach Pro-Kit, more than any other spring they tested (and they tested several), showed to lower the car the exact drop as advertised from Eibach, something KONI needed for certainty, as the shock travel is minimum with the FSD Shocks and a spring offering even the slightest more in drop than advertised from said manufacturer, would not work. In other words, you cannot use a more aggressively rated spring with an aggressive drop like an H&R Race Spring or Eibach Sportline Spring with KONI FSDs. The FSD Shocks are not designed for that type of spring and would not be warrantied should there be an issue of any kind. The FSD's valving would not support it.

The KONI FSD Shocks are very nice and ride extremely well. We have one of our in-house cars here at the shop riding on this very setup and it's great. Again, it's not a full-on race car type feel, but a mild 1" drop is visible, the ride comfort is darn near like stock (and we are not joking), yet the steering response and handling is fantastic. It's definitely perfect for the street car that's never going to track the car, that wants a mild drop, wants the car to handle well, and likes the luxury of a shock absorber that's going to have Frequency Select Dampening, the technology that KONI uses that enables the shock to soften up for rough streets, all while firming up with recognizing smoother roads where some spiriting driving might take place. It's a great shock with great technology, brought to you by KONI, the ones that inventing rebound dampening technology in the first place.

Oh, and KONI's 44% sale is back for its Authorized Distributors. Feel free to PM us here if any of you guys would like to get in on that action.

Deals, deals!

Last edited by MJM Distributing; 07-15-2013 at 05:43 AM.
MJM Distributing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrob View Post
I am looking into getting a Koni FSD setup with the Eibach springs. I wanna know if I will need spacers / camber kit to drop the full 1.4". Also, should I buy the $340 install kit which is separate from the actual cup kit?

With the mild drop Eibachs provide the factory adjustments put you very close to stock specs. A camber kit would not be required in this instance.

With the design of the Knoi FSD (stock shock style replacement) spacers are not required to provide clearance between the inner wheel/tire and the spring perch.

As for an install kit, what condition are your stock mounts in? Is your hardware corroded? If so it might be a good idea for you to pick up an install kit to prevent putting nice new shocks and springs on the car with blown shock mounts. Or even having to deal with reinstalling corroded or rounded off hardware.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Handsome Kev

My Ride: 328
Koni FSD question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM Distributing View Post
You will not need spacers to run any Eibach product or any KONI product. Also, keep in mind that the FSD Shocks are not a full-on racing damper like the KONI Sports are, but the perfect medium between a stock shock and performance valved shock. In fact, KONI FSD Shocks are not approved to be used with any springs other than a stock spring, and of course, the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs. We met with a KONI engineer for dinner at SEMA one year and were explained the reasoning behind this. The Eibach Pro-Kit, more than any other spring they tested (and they tested several), showed to lower the car the exact drop as advertised from Eibach, something KONI needed for certainty, as the shock travel is minimum with the FSD Shocks and a spring offering even the slightest more in drop than advertised from said manufacturer, would not work. In other words, you cannot use a more aggressively rated spring with an aggressive drop like an H&R Race Spring or Eibach Sportline Spring with KONI FSDs. The FSD Shocks are not designed for that type of spring and would not be warrantied should there be an issue of any kind. The FSD's valving would not support it.

The KONI FSD Shocks are very nice and ride extremely well. We have one of our in-house cars here at the shop riding on this very setup and it's great. Again, it's not a full-on race car type feel, but a mild 1" drop is visible, the ride comfort is darn near like stock (and we are not joking), yet the steering response and handling is fantastic. It's definitely perfect for the street car that's never going to track the car, that wants a mild drop, wants the car to handle well, and likes the luxury of a shock absorber that's going to have Frequency Select Dampening, the technology that KONI uses that enables the shock to soften up for rough streets, all while firming up with recognizing smoother roads where some spiriting driving might take place. It's a great shock with great technology, brought to you by KONI, the ones that inventing rebound dampening technology in the first place.

Oh, and KONI's 44% sale is back for its Authorized Distributors. Feel free to PM us here if any of you guys would like to get in on that action.

Deals, deals!
Would the FSD be good with H&R sport?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Handsome Kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Kev View Post

The FSD Shocks pair well with mild drop spring. They are not suggested for springs with a more aggressive drop.

-James

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!

Last edited by ECSTuning; 07-18-2013 at 08:56 AM.
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to MJM Distributing Send a message via Yahoo to MJM Distributing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Kev View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM Distributing View Post
In fact, KONI FSD Shocks are not approved to be used with any springs other than a stock spring, and of course, the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.
As stated a few posts up.

Again, the FSD Shocks (per KONI) are not approved for anything other than the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs or OEM springs (based on the valving of the shocks, required spring rates and required drop levels needed from a spring for that shock to be effective). Again, it is not a racing damper like a KONI Yellow (Sport) Shock is. This is per KONI engineers and is explained in detail above a few posts up.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
The FSD Shocks pair well with mild drop spring such as the Eibach Pro kit Springs (1.0-1.4"F 0.8-1.4"R) and the H&R Sport Springs (1.4"F 0.75"R). They are not suggested for springs with a more aggressive drop.

-James
James,

You might want to call Lee Grimes or Jim Ryan at KONI for clarification on this. Unless something has changed since 2011, warranty will not be honored when running any H&R Sport Spring on a KONI FSD Shock (for the reasons we outline above). As a Master WD for KONI, that buys direct from them, and attends their quarterly training seminars, this has been per KONI engineering since that shock was introduced. It's also stated on the KONI website.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
I have a '04 330Ci convertible with factory sport suspension. Will the FSDs change ride height if I retain my original springs? Is't ride height a function of springs?

How do they work/feel on the slightly heavier convertibles?
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
MJM Distributing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
I have a '04 330Ci convertible with factory sport suspension. Will the FSDs change ride height if I retain my original springs? Is't ride height a function of springs?

How do they work/feel on the slightly heavier convertibles?
Ride height is not affected whatsoever with the FSD Shocks.

The fact that it's a convertible will also not deter from the ride quality with the FSDs.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
drumsauce

My Ride: 2000 323it
There have been cases where people with verts use the eibach pro-kit/FSD and experience a more dramatic drop in ride height, but I have not seen any instances with that happening using stock springs. You are correct, springs determine right height, for the most part. But, worn bushings or even high-pressure dampers (bilstiens) have been known to change the ride height even on stock springs.

FSD will be a great upgrade with stock springs.
drumsauce is offline   Reply With Quote