E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
ldnikon

My Ride: 2005 325 ci
325 Ci Suspension Problem

So here's the deal, I have only recently purchased a 2005 BMW 325Ci and it was extremely lowered by the previous owner. The wheels are 19" and wider than stock wheels.

The problem I have is that with it being as low as it is, the rear wheel tends to rub on the inside of the wheel well anytime I go over a dip at higher speeds or if I go over a particularly high speed bump too quickly. I was wondering if there was a specific set of springs that I need or if reverting back to the Sport Package springs or the Stock springs would be what I needed. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, thanks everyone.
ldnikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
sjacoby112

My Ride: 2002 325ci
are there coilovers on the car now?

2002 325ci | 5MT | SGM/AGM | Varrstoen | RoyalStance
sjacoby112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
ldnikon

No there aren't. The springs that are on there now are H&R Race style springs. It was my understanding that the race springs lower it too far and are causing the rubbing issue.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
abstracteknics

My Ride: RRR-1|three2eight
Send a message via Skype™ to abstracteknics
Re: 325 Ci Suspension Problem

Either change your suspension set up(anything besides race springs or coilovers), trade your 19s for a set of 18s, or roll your fenders. The latter would probably be the most easiest and cost effective way if you know someone with a roller.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by abstracteknics; 08-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.
abstracteknics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
ldnikon

From my understanding there are two types of means to have the fenders rolled, correct? I went to a performance auto shop and they said they didn't want to 'roll the fenders' because they felt the metal was too thick around the area. But I was also told that there is a machine method and a bending method that is less drastic? I don't know.

As far as the change of the suspension, that is what I am considering right now and looking for suggestions. But if the fender rolling would be best you think, I can reconsider this option. I'll try and post a photo below showing what I'm dealing with.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
What are the wheel offset, width and tire size? Are they black springs? I have H&R Sports (black) and Bilstein sports and the car is only slightly lower than stock. Your back end is either way too low or you're problem is most likely wheel offset and just plain to big a tire. It's a common sickness out there done mostly for fashion fad! Nothing to do with handling. Where do you live? Look for a local BWM independent shop that knows it's stuff and have the car checked out. It'll be the best one hr labor you can spend! It's called a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) and should have been done before the purchase.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
ldnikon

Tire size is 19", the springs are Red with STR rims. I'm unsure of the width and wheel offset, I'll look into finding that out ASAP. The springs I have are H&R (Red) and from what I understand they are a Racing type or a Pro type. It's my first BMW and I should have done a better PPI, but in the place that it was test-driven, these problems didn't seem to manifest. Now that I own it, I understand it's my responsibility and I have no problem taking care of it.

I live in Orlando, Florida and there are plenty of BMW's in the area so I'm sure I'll be able to find a small shop that knows what it's working with. I just wanted to get an opinion online about where to go from here.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
abstracteknics

My Ride: RRR-1|three2eight
Send a message via Skype™ to abstracteknics
Re: 325 Ci Suspension Problem

If you're on a budget, I'd probably recommend street edge coilovers. That's what I'm running and they've been good to me. Before I lowered my car, i had a fairly smooth ride...now, I can feel every bump. I forget the spring rate, but if your car is old might as well change the (4) strut mounts .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1377726478185.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	524035  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
alonsoh94

My Ride: E46 325i
325 Ci Suspension Problem

How much of a drop are the springs?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app