E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
AEMElectronicsTech
Sponsor

NEW RELEASE: AEM Infinity PnP EMS for E46 M3

AEM’s Infinity Plug & Play ECU for
2001-’06 BMW E46 M3 Fits In Factory Location

Unit replaces the factory ECU and takes advantage of vehicle’s CAN bus for map switching, traction control and more with no additional wiring!

Hawthorne, CA—AEM has released its Infinity Plug & Play programmable ECU for the North American 2001-’06 BMW E46 M3 with manual transmission (Infinity-8 PN 30-7109 and Infinity-10 PN 30-7105). The Infinity ECU for the E46 M3 includes an application-specific start-up calibration and connects to the E46 M3 via a Plug & Play harness that is sold separately (PN 30-3510). It is designed to fit in the factory location and AEM’s engineers were able to take advantage of the E46 M3’s sophisticated CAN bus system to incorporate several features directly into factory buttons on the steering wheel and console.

A Complete Stand Alone ECU
The Infinity ECU combines with the Plug & Play harness to replace the E46 M3’s factory ECU. It controls all of the engine functions including the VANOS variable cam control system and Drive by Wire (DBW) system.

Plug & Play Harness with Expansion Port
AEM’s sealed, weatherproof Plug & Play harness (sold separately) includes dual Lambda connectors, an AEMnet connector for communication with other AEMnet enabled devices and an auxiliary connector with a Deutsch DTM 12P connector for adding common aftermarket sensors including fuel pressure, air inlet temperature, MAP, boost control solenoid and ethanol content. The expansion port also includes a sensor ground, 5v reference, power from relay and high side output for activating a solenoid, and switched inputs for auxiliary radiator fan, boost target and no-lift shift.

Map Switching
AEM incorporated the Infinity’s map switching capability into the factory steering wheel buttons, eliminating the need to wire in and mount an ancillary position switch. Using InfinityTuner software, users can now select from 8 modes for boost control maps, fuel maps, timing maps, Lambda target and select maps on the fly using the factory cruise UP (+) and DOWN (-) buttons.

To ensure that drivers know which mode they are in when not connected to the Infinity ECU, when the vehicle is keyed ON the tachometer moves to a specific RPM point to indicate which map the Infinity is using (for example 3k RPM indicates Mode 3, 4k RPM indicates mode 4, etc.). When the driver changes maps while driving, the tachometer will temporarily change from revs to the RPM point that indicates the switched mode for one second and then resume normal tachometer operation. Actual engine RPM will not be affected during this brief period.

Three-Step Rev Limiter
Users can configure the CRUISE ON/OFF (1/0) as a temporary three step limiter switch through the InfinityTuner software (vehicle speed or time after launch dependent), and can set rev limits at specific rpm by points or set a flat limiter and use it as an RPM hold for launches.

Definable Rev Limit on Tachometer
The E46 M3’s tachometer incorporates an LED ring around the outer perimeter to suggest rev limits, and the Infinity ECU uses these LEDs to indicate user defined active rev limits. For instance, if the Coolant Protect feature in InfinityTuner is set with a rev limit to 5k RPM when the engine is cold, the rev limit is indicated via the lights around the perimeter of the tachometer until defined coolant temps for normal operation are achieved. Whatever rev limits a user configures will always be displayed, with the lowest defined rev limit value taking precedence in the LEDs surrounding the tachometer. This feature applies to any protect features, the three step limiter, etc.

Traction Control
The E46 M3 comes with wheel speed/ABS sensors from the factory, and the Infinity is able to use them for traction control via fuel cut, spark cut, spark retard or retracting DBW throttle response. This eliminates the need to install additional sensors for traction control.

The CRUISE SET/HOLD (speedometer icon) can be configured as a traction control enable or disable button through the InfinityTuner software. Users can define a specific slip target for traction control in the software and turn it on or off using this button, or set two slip targets and use it for a mild and aggressive traction control strategy.

User Definable DBW Throttle Response
Using the Sport button near the shifter, users can define throttle curves in the InfinityTuner DBW software and take full control of throttle response. This allows users to change throttle response rate on the fly and is ideal for setting rain mode throttle curves.

Fits In Factory ECU Location
AEM’s engineers have designed the Infinity ECU and harness to fit in the factory ECU location to maintain overall weather resistance of the electronics and deliver a clean look in the engine compartment.

The Infinity EMS delivers high-end engine control for the racing masses at a fraction of the cost. Built around a latest-generation 200MHz automotive processor, the Infinity is capable of processing 400 MIPS (millions of instructions per second). All Infinity systems come fully enabled without the need for feature add-on purchases. Combined with AEM’s industry leading after-purchase support system, including free technical support, the Infinity is the ultimate engine control solution for both professional race teams and weekend track cars.

The Infinity’s airflow-based tuning models simplify start up and speed up the tuning process by eliminating many of the lookup and trim tables (Correction Tables) necessary in previous generation ECUs.

• Airflow model based (VE) tuning
• ECU Set Up Wizard simplifies start up
• Flex fuel compatible
• Multi fuel capable
• Drive by wire
• Variable valve control
• Multiple boost control strategies
• Nitrous control
• Map switching
• Dual internal Lambda controllers
• Dual knock sensing circuits
• Data logging up to 64GB, up to 100 channels at 1KHz
• Outputs to 3rd party dashes and data loggers
• Industry leading data transfer speed (up to 480Mb/sec)
• Integrated engine protection strategies
• Sealed enclosure and IP67 rated comms ports

Please visit www.aemelectronics.com for application information and to find or become a Factory Trained Infinity EMS Tuner, or call us at (310) 484-2322.
AEMElectronicsTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
Sounds great! What about factory features.. Are any of those affected? Is the check engine light operational, airbags, cruise control etc....
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post
Sounds great! What about factory features.. Are any of those affected? Is the check engine light operational, airbags, cruise control etc....
Currently no cruise control is developed...people should voice their interest for this feature as I value this highly.

The check engine light and EML lights both function as per AEM settings. Remember the DME is gone so factory BMW codes are out the door.

Airbags are controlled by a separate module so they are unaffected.

My dash doesn't have any lights on initial startup; however with wheel spin the DSC, brake, and TPMS lights have come on as the DSC module normally sends a signal to the DME requesting torque reduction. During initial testing however with very un-intrusive traction control settings for the AEM TC we have noticed that the lights do not come on after repeated attempts at spinning the tires and about half a tank of fuel worth of aggressive driving. I think with AEM TC enabled the DSC module senses the torque reduction and thinks everything is ok as the lights only come on when the DSC module senses an error. Regardless if you do have the lights come on they reset when restarting the car.

So far all the other features in my car work...full dash including the digital instrument cluster. It's pretty awesome.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
red375

My Ride: //HPF E46 M3 stg2
Nothing for SMG yet ?
red375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Lab22
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by red375 View Post
Nothing for SMG yet ?
Not yet.

---

We've been very impressed with the ECU thus far. We've invested many hours of tuning both on the pre-production unit and the now final/released unit. We currently have 20 units on order, 12 are fully accounted for, a few have deposits, we have only a handful still up for grabs. They're coming in and going out the door as fast as AEM can get them to us.

Our full debut of the ECU on our cars will be at Shift-S3ctor, first week of October. We'll have cars there on stock motors, with 6766's, built motors with 76's, high compression built motor with a 71, and low comp with a 71, all running Flex Fuel. Even Dallas's car with a one off tubular manifold and Borg Warner. I think we'll have probably 6 or 7 cars on Infinities with us at Shift-S3ctor. So stop on by and check them out, and DEFINITELY ask for a ride along!
Lab22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Commanderwiggin

A little taste of low boost...

Old 08-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
imapimp

My Ride: 2002.5 AV6 6MT 04M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab22 View Post
Not yet.

---

We've been very impressed with the ECU thus far. We've invested many hours of tuning both on the pre-production unit and the now final/released unit. We currently have 20 units on order, 12 are fully accounted for, a few have deposits, we have only a handful still up for grabs. They're coming in and going out the door as fast as AEM can get them to us.

Our full debut of the ECU on our cars will be at Shift-S3ctor, first week of October. We'll have cars there on stock motors, with 6766's, built motors with 76's, high compression built motor with a 71, and low comp with a 71, all running Flex Fuel. Even Dallas's car with a one off tubular manifold and Borg Warner. I think we'll have probably 6 or 7 cars on Infinities with us at Shift-S3ctor. So stop on by and check them out, and DEFINITELY ask for a ride along!
I gotta start a thread on my build, have always wanted to do one...my project this week!

Does the Infinity use the same gauges for afr, ethanol content, etc as they used for the previous AEM V1/V2? Or are there upgraded displays?

Or even better I have always wondered if it can be connected to my aftermarket navi/dvd (or for others maybe the stock navi)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post

A VERY little taste but with that much power time flies fast!
imapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:

You should overlay an audio clip of Clarkson saying that! I like the attempt, but Clarkson's voice just makes it a tad bit funnier!
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
Cipri

My Ride: E46 M3 2002
Re: NEW RELEASE: AEM Infinity PnP EMS for E46 M3

Good work guys!
Will it use the same AEM sensors we V1 users already have on the cars?
Will you provide detailed pinout so we can do custom modifications?
How is it controling the vanos? Like the factory ECU based on a 3D map?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using BimmerApp mobile app
Cipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
nek0

My Ride: e85 turbo m3
Quote:

more clips please
nek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
I can't wait to utilize the features on my car . I can't wait to see how each different setup runs with the infinity!

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
I can't wait to utilize the features on my car . I can't wait to see how each different setup runs with the infinity!
Props to you Dallas Berry for providing your car for so long as the development beast! I heard your car put down some pretty nice numbers N/A on the Infinity too!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
dallasberry

Quote:
Props to you Dallas Berry for providing your car for so long as the development beast! I heard your car put down some pretty nice numbers N/A on the Infinity too!
It was all for the greater cause for the E46 Community!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Quote:
Currently no cruise control is developed...people should voice their interest for this feature as I value this highly.

The check engine light and EML lights both function as per AEM settings. Remember the DME is gone so factory BMW codes are out the door.

Airbags are controlled by a separate module so they are unaffected.

My dash doesn't have any lights on initial startup; however with wheel spin the DSC, brake, and TPMS lights have come on as the DSC module normally sends a signal to the DME requesting torque reduction. During initial testing however with very un-intrusive traction control settings for the AEM TC we have noticed that the lights do not come on after repeated attempts at spinning the tires and about half a tank of fuel worth of aggressive driving. I think with AEM TC enabled the DSC module senses the torque reduction and thinks everything is ok as the lights only come on when the DSC module senses an error. Regardless if you do have the lights come on they reset when restarting the car.

So far all the other features in my car work...full dash including the digital instrument cluster. It's pretty awesome.
Kenton, I agree cause I Too use or rely on cruise control greatly
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
leletyM3

My Ride: 05 M3
Thank you Dallas!!!!

Yes will surely miss the cruise control for the long trips, still want that feature on my car!!!!

HPF Stg2 Turbo 640rwhp, Eisenmann Race 83mmx4, Volk TE37 TA, Toyo T1R, Brembo BBK 380mm 6pots & 345, 6k HID, 6K HID Fogs, Depo Smoked Corners, Strassentech Front Lip, V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser

leletyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #16
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
AEM is not alone in omitting cruise control, to date the only other ECU company that I know of to offer this is Syvecs. Other big players like Motec, Cosworth, Bosch, and GEMS have refused to support this publicly due to legal liability reasons. (Why offer a feature that supports driving on-road, with a product that is labeled "For off-road use only"?)
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
dallasberry

I don't really use cruise control anyway.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
SPDu4ea

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
AEM is not alone in omitting cruise control, to date the only other ECU company that I know of to offer this is Syvecs. Other big players like Motec, Cosworth, Bosch, and GEMS have refused to support this publicly due to legal liability reasons. (Why offer a feature that supports driving on-road, with a product that is labeled "For off-road use only"?)
Cruise is useful in motorsports -- many pit lanes & paddocks have speed limits
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDu4ea View Post
Cruise is useful in motorsports -- many pit lanes & paddocks have speed limits
Completely different applications.

Pit limiters are set as RPM limits, regardless of engine load, across a given gear. The control strategy usually is a mix of fuel and spark cut.

Cruise control is a closed loop VSS function, that varies engine torque to stay within a defined hysteresis window. To complicate this further, the IACV is usually used up to approximately 30% of the PPS, where the TB control motor starts to blend airflow.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Think0rz

My Ride: 05 AW M3
Hopefully theres an addition of cruise control in the future as going on long trips its extremely useful especially after my most recent trip cross country to lab22