E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
M3Enthusiast

My Ride: E46 ZCP
Advice on Removing Stains on Imola Leather Interior

Hey guys, I purchased my M3 about 3 weeks ago and the interior was flawless when I originally viewed the car. It was the day after the PPI at a local BMW dealership that I noticed these small, black, embedded grease/ink-like stains on the passenger seat. I've tried removing the stains with Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner and even IPA but with no apparent effect on the stain. Can you guys recommend a best course of action to get these stains out, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130610-00149.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	512985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130610-00150.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	512986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130610-00151.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	512987  

Last edited by M3Enthusiast; 06-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
Leather Master Super Remover - (may be used on (A-Aniline / Non-Coated as a spot remover, always check for colourfastness) for removing deep stains like mustard on protected finished leathers. This product works, even when nothing else will.

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-26-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
M3Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Leather Master Super Remover - (may be used on (A-Aniline / Non-Coated as a spot remover, always check for colourfastness) for removing deep stains like mustard on protected finished leathers. This product works, even when nothing else will.
Do you have personal experience with this product working?

Last edited by M3Enthusiast; 06-26-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
What have you tried? I suggest gliptone for cleaning nappa leather. I would try their cleaner with a soft brush that won't scratch the leather (a used toothbrush for example).

Also search autogeek.com on their website and forum, you'll get better answers.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
M3Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrace View Post
What have you tried? I suggest gliptone for cleaning nappa leather. I would try their cleaner with a soft brush that won't scratch the leather (a used toothbrush for example).

Also search autogeek.com on their website and forum, you'll get better answers.
I've only tried Meguiars leather cleaner and some IPA, Meguiars was applied with a microfiber towel with no effect and the Isopropyl Alcohol, rubbing alcohol basically, was applied with a Q-tip, again no difference was observed. Thanks for your suggestions though.

Last edited by M3Enthusiast; 06-28-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
TOGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Enthusiast View Post
Do you have personal experience with this product working?
I have five decades of detailing experience and 10 years of answering detailing questions on various international forums.

I only recommend what I have first-hand experience of and products that 'do as they say on the tin'

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki - "Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki - "Leather Articles Hyperlinks" -http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/141973-leather-articles-hyperlinks.html

If you have any questions about automotive leather, its care or renovation techniques, please let me know

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-02-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
M3Enthusiast

Okay guys, thanks for the answers, will definitely look into them and let you know what works.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
regalzr7

My Ride: '04 330 convertible
Years ago I posted a similar question on another forum about removing pen ink stains from leather. An answer I received was that hairspray would remove it. I tried it and it worked on the grey leather seats in my Buick GS. Your results may vary.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
TOGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalzr7 View Post
Years ago I posted a similar question on another forum about removing pen ink stains from leather. An answer I received was that hairspray would remove it. I tried it and it worked on the grey leather seats in my Buick GS. Your results may vary.
Hairspray contains solvents, which may remove ink stains - not recommended for finished leather uphostery as its a product formulated for hair :0
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Dan F.

My Ride: 05 330Ci
That looks exactly like my passenger seat with those stains.
Mine were caused by a leaking dimmable rear view mirror, the "juice" ate through my center console and splashed on my passenger seat.
I have tried most every product, and wives tales to remove with no luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
M3Enthusiast

I haven't tried anything extreme, but I went to a well known, professional detail shop in Burbank and he advised me that there is no way to remove the ink without removing the dye of the finished imola red leather. He recommended a leather expert in Van Nuys called Snow Vinyl who he swears was able to remove stains and perfectly match the dye of the finished red leather on a Porsche 911 for one of his clients. He said the typical charge for this service would be ~$200. I haven't followed up with this yet but their website looks promising and this alternative beats the ~$1000 for new OEM seat covers.

Last edited by M3Enthusiast; 08-06-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
I haven't tried anything extreme, but I went to a well known, professional detail shop in Burbank and he advised me that there is no way to remove the ink without removing the dye of the finished imola red leather. He recommended a leather expert in Van Nuys called Snow Vinyl who he swears was able to remove stains and perfectly match the dye of the finished red leather on a Porsche 911 for one of his clients. He said the typical charge for this service would be ~$200. I haven't followed up with this yet but their website looks promising and this alternative beats the ~$1000 for new OEM seat covers.
Did you follow TOGWT's recommendation? He may not be well known here, but he is an absolute authority when it comes to detailing. If he says a product may work, try it before you decide the problem cannot be remedied. Just because a local detailer says it cannot be done does not mean it cannot be done.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #13
M3Enthusiast

Okay, I purchased the item recommended by TOGWT and will keep you guys posted on the results, wish me luck!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
Quote:
Okay, I purchased the item recommended by TOGWT and will keep you guys posted on the results, wish me luck!
Be sure to use something after Super Remover, it does strip.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
M3Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvaBimma View Post
Be sure to use something after Super Remover, it does strip.
I bought everything recommended including the cleaner and conditioner so I should be good to go when the package arrives, will keep you guys posted.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #16
M3Enthusiast

Okay, received Leather Master Super Remover, followed directions and applied exactly as stated, made no visible difference on the stain whatsoever so I guess that proves that the detailer's suggestion is the only valid solution.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #17
raypitter

My Ride: bmw x1
Yes hair spray can easily remove ink from leather. Hair spray contains alcohol, which is the ingredient that removes the ink, but the other chemicals in the spray could damage a fabric. Caution is very important while using the Hair Spray as ink removal.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
Try using a stiff brush (not damaging, but enough given to scrub) and a light cleaner like Leathermaster Pristine Clean.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
audiquattrot

My Ride: 2005 M3, 1990 325iX
u sure your mirror isn't leaking the acid inside of it?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:52 AM   #20
TOGWT

Sadly the prognosis on your ink stains or colour transfer on leather is not good; as the stain permeates the leather, the dye is transferred and body heat helps to 'set the dye, For this reason it is not easily released, especially as it has been allowed to set.

Because modern leather coatings are water-based, inks and dyes no longer sit on the surface, but absorb into the clear protective lacquer. Therefore the only way to remove the stain is to remove this clear lacquer and re-apply a pigmented coating

Swisswax Leather Healer Leather Dye - an easy-to-apply Leather refurbishing dye, it Is easy to apply and sets automatically and permanently, without leaving a heavy layer of pigments as often encountered with other leather tinting. The purpose of this product is to restore leather to its original colour and with uniform matte finish, but without a "just been painted" appearance.

Urethane Protection Top Coat

OEM finished leather typically has a matte clear coat to provide abrasion resistance and to protect them from ultra violet (UV-B) light, so it's important to replace this finish as it protects and enhances the leather and preserves its durability.

This clear coat
(Leather Magic DT-70 Matte Finish Clear) is water- based, polyurethane compound that will provide the toughest finish over a repaired area. The clear coat may be applied either by wiping or spraying over a surface and creates a pleasing matte finish over a colour coated surface to provide substantial protection and durability

Allow the pigmentation to cure for 24 hours before the application of the clear coat. Apply with a clean lint free 100% cotton micro fibre towel, being careful to apply a two thin uniform coats (allow each coat to thoroughly dry) to reduce build-up and streaks, allow to dry for 24 -36 hours; dependent upon temperature and humidity. This type of clear paint can be 'heat cured' with infra-red heat, a heat gun or a hair dryer

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - "Leather pigment (Dye) restoration" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1488560

Last edited by TOGWT; 08-31-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Closed Thread