E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7 View Post
True... Very true.

Idk if my spring rates and dampers are right but they will be stiffer than stock so that will be a Plus for me while using poly.
Let us know how you like it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
saace7

My Ride: 04' 330i ZHP
Will do. Ill keep you guys informed. Tackling all 3 levels of the suspension refresh at once. Can't wait, will be a hell of a difference.

Last edited by saace7; 08-08-2013 at 01:07 PM.
saace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
saace7

I decided to go a little nuts with my upgrade and got Eibach anti roll bar kit too. Got adjustable sway bar links for fine tuning. (front and rear)

It's hard when your upgrading something. You realize, well if I'm going to upgrade this, then I have to upgrade that. If I upgrade that, then I need to upgrade this. It never ends.
This week everything should be coming in!

Stay tuned for updates!

Last edited by saace7; 08-11-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7 View Post
I decided to go a little nuts with my upgrade and got Eibach anti roll bar kit too. Got adjustable sway bar links for fine tuning. (front and rear)

It's hard when your upgrading something. You realize, well if I'm going to upgrade this, then I have to upgrade that. If I upgrade that, then I need to upgrade this. It never ends.
This week everything should be coming in!

Stay tuned for updates!
exactly. While in there I'd recommend welding on some sway bar bracket reinforcements. check turner motorsports. or make your own. the pieces aren't that much. Not sure how aggressive you are with the sway bars. 27/21? i'd probably trust it without reinforcements at that level.. but if you wanted to, the option is there. Don't forget there's a turner motorsports option as well.. i believe might be the same manufacturer but they're painted blue and come with better bushings IIRC.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
saace7

Yes, they are 27/21mm. Front is 2 way adjustable and rear are non adjustable. They are designed to work with my springs so I figured I can't go wrong there. Plus I got the kit for $345 + free shipping.
I need to look into those reinforcement plates. I saw a few articles about it during my research. Ill check and see if turner has them, as I have another order to make from them anyways.

Last edited by saace7; 08-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
saace7

IT'S CHRISTMAS MORNING! Kind of...

A lot of working coming up soon!

UPS took longer to deliver so I missed this weekend to do it. I got my delivery today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330parts.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	522554  

Last edited by saace7; 08-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
Zona330ci

My Ride: SUV + Blue R6 + ZHP
Re: Suspension overhual checklist

Darn that UPS! Can't wait to hear/see the final results!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
saace7

Offical review

So I have everything installed and wanted to drive for about a week before I wrote a review. I wanted the suspension to settle in and see what it was like after a few hundred miles.

First off, let me explain what I came from.
04 330i zhp. 107k miles when work was done.
running 255/35 all around. (PO had this set up, might go back to 235 front)

Everything was original Shocks/struts, springs, bushings etc.
Only thing that was changed by PO was FCAB with powerflex about 20k miles ago.
I had my control arms and Tie rods checked and where is great condition with zero play so I felt no need to change these two items.

Stuff I went about changing:
Shocks/struts (bilstein sport)
Springs (eibach Pro kit)
Rear Suspension bushing kit from TMS (17 bushings all OE besides RTAB. Have powerflex)
Reinforcement plates for strut/shock mounts (TMS)
Steering Guibo (OE)
Anti Sway bar Front and back 27/21mm (eibach)
Front adjustable sway bar end links (TMS)
Stock rear sway bar end links (OE)
All new shock/strut mount kit (TMS)
Motor Mounts (M3 OE)
Trans. Mounts (M3 OE)

Final Cost was roughly $2100. +/- $100 (shipping isn't calculated plus I caught a few sales)

Once taken a part; parts that were still good and those that were shot!
Front struts - were actually in better condition then I thought, but maybe 30-40% life left.
Rear shocks - 100% shot and GONE!
Springs - Still in great condition and work fine (I changed for a drop and performance over stock)
Rear suspension bushings - I thought my RTAB were bad but must of been changed within the lifetime of the car with out documentation because they were in great condition and the PO had no idea they were changed. That is if they ever were. Bit of a mystery atm. I decided to change all 17 because I did had a crack in two of my Diff bushings, my Indy recommended I change them all since the rear end would be out, so I did. Besides the two cracked bushings my indy told me most of the bushings were still in good condition. I wasn't too worried because I have the satisfaction of knowing all my bushings are new and should insure more lifetime to my subframe. Peace of mind.
Steering Guibo - Mine was still "ok" with very very little play, but within the next 15k-25k miles, It would need a changing. Happy I got it out the way.
Front sway end links - Were function-able but worn out pretty good.
Rear sway end links - Still good.
Motor mounts - Pretty much on its way out. Was time to change, had fluid starting to come out.
Trans. mounts - Still pretty good but nice to have new ones in for only $33.

Driving Review:

Besides the blown rear shocks my suspension was actually in a "decent" condition.

Three words... NIGHT AND DAY!
WOW! The difference is tremendous!!! It now feels the way a BMW should.

With the new progressive springs and sport shock/struts installed I noticed an increase in ride quality plus performance. It takes bumps so much better, while I thought lowering the car would create a "stiffer" ride, THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE!
The combination of the bilstein plus eibach pro kit increased the ride quality while also increasing the ride performance. It truly is the perfect blend for everyday driving while having the performance to take it out to the track on the weekend. On top of that, with the larger eibach anti roll bars, when throwing it around, it was very tight with very very little body roll. I was VERY impressed.
Road response is 100%, what I mean is, you can feel every single imperfection in the road through either the suspension or steering wheel. It isn't bad at all, it is just enough so you know it is there.
The drop it self was the only thing I was a little disappointed with. First off, I wanted my wheel well gap 100% closed but the more and more I look at the drop, the more I realize I like it how it is. It is PERFECT! I didn't have anything to go off of but I believe the drop was about .4 to .75 of an inch compared to stock springs. Which isn't a big difference at all. I actually like it more this way as it looks more "race" oriented then "stanced/slammed/dropped" look. Which suits the design of our car very well, creates a nice flowing look.

Overall, it is a HUGE upgrade! If you are looking to drop it even more than what I have, I would recommend the Eibach Sport Kit. Remember the sport will be stiffer. The pro-kit, I believe, is a perfect set of springs for DD. Also, pro-kit created a leveled off look. No rake look.

Pictures: Only thing I have to compare (if you look close it is somewhere around a .5'' drop)

Got rid of the smoked front blinkers too.

BEFORE:

Name:	newwheels.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	524541

AFTER:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0002.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	524542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0003.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	524543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0004.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	524544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	524545  

Name:	IMAG0006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	524546  

Last edited by saace7; 09-01-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

well done! especially removing those smoked front blinkers.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #30
saace7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
well done! especially removing those smoked front blinkers.
Thank you. The car truly feels and handles as if it just rolled off the show room floor.

Last edited by saace7; 09-02-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #31
94jedi

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Outstanding! Well, I know what's in my ZHP's future! I likely won't do it all at once as you did but I will piece things together over time.
94jedi is offline   Reply With Quote