E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #41
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post

Thanks. I learned something today. This is from the link:

Quote:
The adherent mechanism is altogether different. In an adherent system, a thin layer of brake pad material actually transfers and sticks (adheres) on to the rotor face. The layer of pad material, once evenly established on the rotor, is what actually rubs on the brake pad. The bonds that are broken, for the conversion of Kinetic to Thermal energy, are formed instantaneously before being broken again. It is this brake pad-on-transferred brake pad material interaction on a molecular level that yields the conversion process.

With the adherent mechanism there is much reduced rotor wear as compared to abrasive mechanism, but it's not a free lunch – pads now become the primary wear element in the braking system. And even though rotors are not mechanically worn down with adherent systems, they still will need to be replaced on a regular basis due to cracking reaching a point of failure if they are exposed to intense, repetitive thermal cycling. This is why race teams throw out rotors that are actually as thick or thicker than when they were brand new. It's due to the an adherent brake pad transfer layer!

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #42
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeast View Post
... and make my shiny rims look like crap!
You're supposed to clean your rims while they're still warm after every drive.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #43
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
I just changed rear pads and rotors..should I have flushed fluid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken@BavAuto View Post
Well we do have over 500 of them still in stock, and we're still selling it. The blue has never been DOT approved for street use so we were a little surprised when it all of a sudden a decision was made to stop selling it in the US. We're honestly not sure what the future will bring on it. No US distributors are going to have it for sure. But we actually buy it in Germany and import it ourselves. As long as we can get it through customs we'll still have it.
Nice! So you'll be able to still sell it, theoretically, for "off-road use only" lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Thanks. I learned something today. This is from the link:
Bedding in also affords the ability to cure pads that didn't come pre-sintered. Hence why some people experience smoking as their brakes are bedding in. It's the bonding agents burning off and the pad material curing. The pads also undergo a color change.

I'm not sure if OE/OEM pads come pre-sintered, but all the sets I've installed (Pagid, Jurid, Centric) required bedding. The first set was brown prior to bedding and changed to black. The latter two sets were grey and changed to black. Also of note, the Centrics claimed to be pre-sintered yet they underwent a color change and during bed in they smoked and stunk to high hell.

briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #45
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffinb View Post
Brake pedal feels a little squishy now..like it takes a little more pedal travel. i'm thinking maybe air in the lines? It stops great once pushed down all the way I just remember the pedal feeling a little more responsive than what it is now.
Not necessarily but if you got the time and/or the existing fluid is dirty then ok. You should find braking becomes sharper once the pads and rotors have bedded in. Hope you didn't contaminate either during installation.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #46
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
When people say "flush" (especially noobies who aren't too familiar with cars), they really mean replacing all the fluid. It's a stupid word that I see being used in stupid ways all the time. That's why I hate that word because people don't know how to use it and it's usually used unnecessarily.
Bentley manual uses the term "flush" when talking about brake fluid (Maintenance 020-9).

I know what you mean though. Hearing noobies talk about bleeding their cooling system always makes me chuckle too.

The correct BMW terminology is venting.

BMW TIS 17 00 039 Venting Cooling System
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #47
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
Hearing noobies talk about bleeding their cooling system always makes me chuckle too.

The correct BMW terminology is venting
Oh snap, no you di'int

Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #48
RayPooley

Quote:
Bentley manual uses the term "flush" when talking about brake fluid (Maintenance 020-9).

I know what you mean though. Hearing noobies talk about bleeding their cooling system always makes me chuckle too.

The correct BMW terminology is venting.

BMW TIS 17 00 039 Venting Cooling System
In the context of cooling systems a flush was always a drain followed by a hosing out. Thats the flush bit. No different to flushing out a home central heating system. Same thing. The objective being to remove any sediment build up in the system. Probably not required so much in modern cars if coolant spec is adhered to. Don't know why the term "bleeding cooling system" should cause you to chuckle. There is a "bleed" screw in the top hose attached to the expansion tank. Its for bleeding the cooling system!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #49
Mr Podman

It is referred to by BMW as a vent screw, not a bleed screw.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #50
RayPooley

Quote:
It is referred to by BMW as a vent screw, not a bleed screw.
And that would be the basis of your scorn for "noobies". They use the term bleed as opposed to vent?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #51
Mr Podman

Ray, read it like I'm poking fun at Mango's original rant.

Last edited by Mr Podman; 09-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #52
RayPooley

Quote:
Ray, read it like I'm poking fun at Mango's original rant. .
Ah. Right. I get it now.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #53
evanescent03

My Ride: e46 M3, carbon black
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Flush has many very different meanings depending on the context of usage. When used in the context of automotive service, I think the generally accepted definition is, flushing removes an existing fluid from a system by means of forcing new fluid into the system through a pressurized feed.

IMO it's really nit picking. Flushing is the process through which fluid replacement is achieved.
exactly what I was thinking. "for batim."

I agree with others about fluid flush/replacement. it should be done every 2 yrs for street use. they actually can measure the moisture in your fluid (hygrometer??). if you drive hard (ever notice your brakes get spongy during heavy street use?) or if you do track events 6month intervals is better. I've heard (fact check me) that heavy use on the fluid also shortens its life (eg: lowers the boiling point).

changing your pads/rotors alone doesn't require a fluid flush/replacement but it WILL reflect a change in the brake fluid reservoir so check your fluid, remove some (*carefully* the stuff destroys paint) if it's overfilled.

matt
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #54
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
exactly what I was thinking. "for batim."
I think you meant to say "verbatim"

Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #55
Chea

My Ride: 05 ///M
sorry to bump this thread but how many bottles (1/2 liters) do you need to do a flush? Getting ready to put new pads/ rotors/ ss lines on the car.