E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Question Any success stories running LED's for DRL high-beams?

I'm not too keen on the color of the halogens when my DRL's are on so I was going to go with some LED's. These to be exact.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140599311449

Says 20 kits have been sold...
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
what success do you need? it works for making them look white. but they are totally useless because you can barely see them. might as well just turn off your DRLs. also since you have a 2000, those DRLs are also your high beam. LEDs are just for looks, so your highs are also rendered useless.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Cavi Mike
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
If they would even properly dim when in DRL mode or if they'd just be full brightness. I suppose it wouldn't matter then if they're insufficiently bright anyways.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
sillieidiot

yeah i would just turn them off. use the angel eyes as the DRLs and you're good.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
abstracteknics

My Ride: RRR-1|three2eight
Send a message via Skype™ to abstracteknics
Re: Any success stories running LED's for DRL high-beams?

Yeah man... no offense, but why you would even consider those? They would serve no purpose except looks. If you really want your drl's to have a white hue, just get 6/7k H7s.. or 5 might work but it'll probably produced a slight yellow hue.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Cavi Mike
Banned User

The DRL's won't be the same color as full brightness. It's still just a piece of wire glowing from heat. In DRL mode, the filament simply isn't burning as hot - and that makes it much more yellow. Nothing short of a complete retrofit is going to change that - besides some LED's. But if the tech isn't there yet for LED's, I'll just hold out for when it is. LED's have come a long way in the past few years.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
abstracteknics

My Ride: RRR-1|three2eight
Send a message via Skype™ to abstracteknics
Re: Any success stories running LED's for DRL high-beams?

Why hold out when you could be the innovator! haha

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Cavi Mike
Banned User

I don't work for Cree. I'm not innovating sht.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
considering my car never had DRL's and i strictly only use my inner high beams for flashing (bi-xenon high beams)... i would consider those just to get rid of the last two halogen bulbs in my car. but for $60? lol... hahahah cute

i'm sure if i had the patience or drive, i could find those bulbs for $20 a set
Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
sillieidiot

you can get them for that much with little effort lol but don't you have angel eyes? technically those would be your DRLs if you've wired them up the same way as everyone else.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
i posted before i realized this was for DRL's.... yes my angel eyes are my DRL's... and luckily my car never had DRL's either. But as a stupid "i'm bored" impulsive purchase, I would get LED's for my inner headlights just so when i flash people, it would be a nice looking LED rather than my halogens... which literally are the only bulbs left in my car that aren't xenon or LED lol.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Cavi Mike
Banned User

Well I always drive with my headlights on, or in the case of my E36, with the parking lights and "city lights" on. I can actually tell when I forget to turn them on; someone will turn right in front of me like I'm not there - because they didn't see me. I like the DRL's and I'll drive with my parking lights on as well. However I do a lot of long-distance road trips up and down the coast so decent high-beams are a must in pitch-black mountain roads.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
Cavi Mike
Banned User

I won this auction the other night...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331024483041

It's only for 1 but I'm just curious what it will actually look like. I'll post up some pictures when (if) it gets here. I actually did get a shipping confirmation. Yes, you saw that price right.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
sillieidiot

yeah then the LEDs won't do anything for you. they are just for looks. i only use the angel eyes for DRLs. they are bright and noticeable, sometimes too much (like when driver's in front of me slow down to check out my car, pisses me off)