E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Cool Eonon D5150 Install

We have the extended installation harness A0566 (17Pin), A0567(40 Pin) which fit BMW E46 with OEM NAV now!

Check more details here:

http://www.eonon.com/Others/Kits-and-Harness/A0566.html
http://www.eonon.com/Others/Kits-and-Harness/A0567.html

UPDATE:
Most of the issues were addressed by Eonon due to our feedback. The newer units now come with a 90 degree iPod cable, Can Bus V2, longer RCA wires and Orange LED color for the buttons. Also includes the New BMW UI and screen mirroring! Some of this may not apply to your 5150 if you have the older unit.

WARRANTY INFO:
If you purchase the 5150 from Eonon's eBay store it comes with a 1 year warranty.
If you purchase the 5150 from Eonon's website it comes with a 2 year warranty.

http://www.eonon.com/2YEAR_WARRANTY.aspx

Contact Carlos from Eonon for Technical Support.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1001181

After installing the Eonon D5150 I wanted to do a review and give some installation tips to make it alot easier to install. For the money the 5150 is a really good deal. It's a major improvement over the Business CD! You get Nav, Backup Camera, Bluetooth, CD & DVD, iPod Control and better overall sound!

The Kudos Maps the 5150 comes with is very basic. I had some trouble with it working properly so I went with IGO Primo 2.4 and its so much better! I loaded it onto a 8GB Class 10 Micro SD Card and it works great!

The screen glare is bad at times and I have dark tinted windows and my entire windshield is tinted. I've tried a few anti glare screen savers but so far nothing has worked. They both rendered the screen inoperable.

One of the issues a few of us encountered was the random input during start up. This was a problem because of the Can Bus version 1. The new Can Bus V2 corrects this problem and the A2DP connects faster for streaming music via Bluetooth.

V2 on the Left, V1 on the Right.

Installing the 5150 requires a relocation bracket. This part cost approx $85 from ECSTuning. There are two different ones available depending on which button console you have. This part is needed for lowering the AC controls down below making room for the 5150 on top. When you relocate the heater / AC controls what you want is BMW part number 51167001410, ECS part ES#82727.

Here's more information about the differences between the two "single cutout" mounting brackets...

51167001410: Single cutout version w/ smoker's package
51167001408: Single cutout version non-smoker's package

The non-smokers package allows for easy installation of the front storage compartment 51168208369 and does not include the LED light. You can retrofit the compartment tray into a smokers unit but there's a little tab that needs to be cut out.

Cigarette lighter block off plug 51168222183.
Functionally either one will work but if you get the wrong one you will have a gap in the lower corners.

Some installation videos on how to take apart the dash and remove the Stereo, AC controls and Storage bin. Here is a helpful tip for removing the center vent, use two plastic cards (old credit cards/store membership cards) and slide them into the top left and right corners of the center vent. This will release both clips.

When I got the 5150 all hooked up and ready to fit in the dash I encountered a problem with both the Antenna and iPod cable sticking out to far and hitting the air duct. It wasn't allowing the unit to sit far enough back to be flush with the dash. I tried trimming them down and did get it to sit better but wasn't happy with it. I started searching for some 90 degree cables. The iPod cable is a 8 pin mini din called a HOSA CCD Cable. They come in 3ft and 10ft lengths, and both ends are male 90 degree connections. Therefore you will need a female to female din coupler to be able to connect the supplied iPod cable. These cables cost approx $20 total.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CCD-103-1...=I7X6OBUQXX95H

Female to Female Din Coupler
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370888832137

This is the final configuration.

The iPod cable turns to the left (drivers side) which is real close to the antenna connection so both cables will need to be trimmed slightly. This isn't necessary but it takes the stress off of the iPod cable beings you have to bend it downward to plug the antenna into the 5150. What you want to trim is the top of the iPod cable where it touch the antenna cable, see below.

I experimented with three different radio antenna adapters to address the radio reception issue.

The one that comes from Eonon works best without the Blue wire connected.

The adapter I had previously used with my D5150 was slightly better, the 40-EU10.

The one I found that works the best and eliminated most of static and weak reception is 40-EU55 with the Blue wire connected. It's for 2002 and up BMW's with powered antennas and newer Facra style antennas and is approx $13.

Adapter is a Metra 40-EU55
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-EU55-...=Metra+40-EU55

Then trim the top portion on the Antenna adapter underneath the rubber sleeve to give clearance for the iPod cable and it also lets the cable bend easier to aid in the install.

Here is the final fit when both are trimmed.

Also you want to Super Glue the RCA Rubber Caps on you won't be using so they don't come off and create feedback issues.

One of the biggest problems on the install I next to the Antenna and iPod cable being to long was all the RCA plugs getting in the way. If these were just a little longer it would of been so much easier. What I did after fighting with them was tie them up and out of the way in two groups with twine. This made it so much easier! I mounted the Can Bus on top of the 5150 with the supplied Velcro and mounted the USB plug to the back with 3M tape. Believe it or not these few steps made a world of difference.

The Main plug is tucked up far to the left to make room for the 5150.

"How To Update the Firmware in the EONON 5150"
http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/4...mware-upgrade/

"EONON 5150 MANUAL"
http://www.eonon.com/down_pdf.aspx?n...0Manual_EN.pdf

"SETTINGS"
Time display: Display/undisplay time on top right of the screen.
Hand Brake: Switch on/off Brake detect.
Key Tone: Switch on/off key tone.
Rearview Startup: Turn on/off rearview camera.
Headlight Control:Turn on/off headlight control mode. Headlight on, the screen auto dimmer.
Navigation Mixing: Turn on/off navigation mixing mode.
Turn on Mix Mode: Sound of GPS Navigation will be played with playing sound synchronously.
Turn off Mix Mode: When navigation sound on, the music of front speaker will stop, the rear speaker will stay on. After navigation sound stops, front speaker will continue to play music.
Mix Ratio: Set mix ratio of navigation soundwith music or radio.
Radio Region: User could select radio frequency from (Europe, South America, Japan, Taiwan and America). Frequency of broadcast status will run under corresponding frequency automatically once selected.
Reversing Video: on/off. Please turn off "reversing video function" if your car hasn't installed a rear view camera.

"Screen Info"
Also there is a small "Sun Icon" top middle. Press it and it changes to "Half Moon" and the screen dims, press it again and the screen is turned off. Touch the screen or steering wheel controls to turn it back on.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 06-28-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1403974113
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

I originally installed the GPS Antenna inside on the dash by the passenger A pillar. This worked ok but I decided to mount it on the roof in the front of the car. This was actually pretty easy, it took about 15 minutes to complete and the signal is better. All the wires for the backup camera, GPS, USB and iPod ran down to the passengers side behind the glove box.

Mount the GPS Antenna and run the wire down inside the window seal into the engine compartment. Then thru the rubber grommet inside the small compartment on the passengers side. There are two unused access slots, just cut the tip off one and run the cable thru. See below.

Backup Camera Install.

Camera Options

-$30
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-..._3865011&vd=30

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wirel..._3865011&vd=30

Waterproof 170įNight Vision Color Car Rear View Back Up Camera for BMW E39 E46 -$18.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wiring the "Orange" wire for the backup Camera. This is the reverse trigger wire.
Thanks goes to....
Tnhl1989!

(Both of these options are the same, just two different ways of connecting to the reverse wire under the dash behind the fuse panel. Disregard the two different colors of wire used).

- Option 1 -

The Orange wire is needed to have the reverse camera working with the new Can Bus V2 and harness. I soldered a Blue wire to the Orange (reverse) wire and connected to a Blue/Yellow wire in the glove box

I Soldered a Blue wire to the Orange (reverse) wire and connected to a Blue/Yellow wire in the glove box.

Shown in the diagram below is the wiring to the reverse light. This box is on top of the fuse box.

Box with Blue/Yellow Reverse wire using a wire tap.

- Option 2 -

Wiring to Orange "Back" wire on the 5150 using a spade connector. 4 position terminal is removed from connector.

Yellow wire goes to the Orange "Back" wire on the 5150

DIY - External Bluetooth Mic for the Eonon 5150 -

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15792275

I noticed in this photo that the Mic is flush with the board and my Mic is 1/2" off my board. Could be one of the reasons some guys are having issues with Bluetooth clarity.

I drilled the Mic hole out larger to 11/64. It's approx 3 times larger than before. Tested it out and it does make a noticeable difference. I removed the faceplate from the 5150 to do this, I would highly recommend Not drilling it while on the unit.

You can see in this photo how close my Mic is to the face plate.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 02-08-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

I attached the USB plug to the back with 3M Tape to keep it out of the way.

I ran the iPod cable down behind the glove box and along the center console. Then attached it along the top side for easy access.

Eonon 5150 Related Links.

EONON'S GROUP BUY on E46FANATICS

ZHPMAFIA 5150 Thread

E46FANATICS 5150 Thread

BIMMER FORUMS

If you are Replacing the OEM Navigation:
(Thanks to the following for their assistance replacing the OEM Nav.)
DetroitFarher
Maxfury929
Steve@elljes

If your connector is a 17 pin.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-Wired...d=494138412906

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331102232297...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If your connector is a 40 pin.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Wired-Ca...81099081826%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321293141815...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

17 PIN Wiring Extension Harness.

40 PIN Wiring Extension for OEM Nav.

Adding Custom Background Photos.

First make a folder called "Wallpaper" on your GPS SD card which should still have a good amount of space. DO NOT make the folder in the GPS folder. It is a stand alone folder by itself on the SD card. The wallpapers will go in the "Wallpaper" Folder you created.

The name of the wallpapers have to be 5 letters/numbers or a mix and only 5 in total! I tried with 3 letters, 6 letters and more and they didn't work. But yet with a 5 letter name that seemed to work.

The wallpapers have to be under 1MB! The ones that didn't work for me were over 1MB files even with the 5 letter name. After I compressed them to under 1MB they popped up.

Wallpapers must be 800x480 to work on the screen and must be in .PNG format! From what I have gathered is I did not need to go down to a 24bit method of coloring like some others have suggested.

You do not need to find wallpapers that are only 800x480, YOU CAN RE-SIZE ANY SIZE WALLPAPER DOWN TO 800X480 AND IT SHOULD WORK.

IGo Primo 2.4

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 02-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
A+++++++++
Old 09-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
Dope
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
VKnid

My Ride: 2002 330i
Thank you

WOLFN8TR,
Just bought my first BMW in April, and have been lurking this forum for help with DIY maintenance, mods, stereo upgrades, etc. Was content to just lurk, but after reading this post, I had to register just to say: YOU SIR, ARE AWESOME! Was thinking about getting the D5150 this month and this will be a big help. Thanks.

Last edited by VKnid; 09-01-2013 at 05:43 PM.
VKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
winston330xi

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330xi
Excellent write up. Im reading up on the eonon before I purchase. Thanks for this.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
A+++++++++
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezist09 View Post
Dope
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston330xi View Post
Excellent write up. Im reading up on the eonon before I purchase. Thanks for this.
Welcome...Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKnid View Post
WOLFN8TR,
Just bought my first BMW in April, and have been lurking this forum for help with DIY maintenance, mods, stereo upgrades, etc. Was content to just lurk, but after reading this post, I had to register just to say: YOU SIR, ARE AWESOME! Was thinking about getting the D5150 this month and this will be a big help. Thanks.
Your Welcome...Thanks so much for the compliment, glad to help out. Plus we gained a new Member. Very Cool!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
EononCarDVD
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW E46
Wow wolf, itís a work of art! Your installation guide is one of the best Iíve even seen! So detailed and useful! Many thanks for sharing with us!

Just a thought, I think you can write a Eonon D5150 wiki like several fans have written the D5151 wiki here: http://d5102.wikispaces.com/FAQ5151 It will benefit millions of guys! Cheers!

And welcome to share with us your guide on our pic/vid channel too: http://www.eonon.com/channel_photo.aspx
EononCarDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Thank You...

I will share this on the links you provided.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
eljay

My Ride: ///M
A+ install guide!
Thank you.
I will have to give that Metra adapter a try to solve my bad radio reception issue.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
renzito75

My Ride: E46
Eonon D5150 Install

Thank you Wolf, A+

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
renzito75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
What a great write up!
Thank You!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #14
Girani

My Ride: e46 csl
Thank you!

Hi, WOLF, Thank you!
A+++++++++++ , really excellent installation and guide! I was just lurking here and considering joining the GB of D5150, and found ur thread! U pump me out!
Girani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
Andy539

My Ride: 325ci m sport
Wolf - I installed mine exactly like you did (less the additional cables, didn't need them for UK R/H/D. I'm seriously looking at the igo primo sat nav software. Kudos is pretty poor, but it does the job. I see many guys have downloaded it. I can't find the program on igo's website for the 5150 tho. Can you spin any dits on how to find it please.
Andy539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
A+ install guide!
Thank you.
I will have to give that Metra adapter a try to solve my bad radio reception issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzito75 View Post
Thank you Wolf, A+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEtr View Post
What a great write up!
Thank You!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girani View Post
Hi, WOLF, Thank you!
A+++++++++++ , really excellent installation and guide! I was just lurking here and considering joining the GB of D5150, and found ur thread! U pump me out!
Thanks! Glad to Help...

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 09-11-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Removed Info
Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
limpiabota809

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Thanks! Glad to help out.

I got Igo Primo 2.4 from a fellow member, it's a torrent file. I can email it to you, use BitTorrent to download it and save it to your computer. Then just unzip it and transfer it to the SD card. The total size is approx 3.5 GB. I would use a Class 10 SD card also.

Guys just PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
You think that if I go with a 16gb it'll differ than using a 4gb?
Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
You think that if I go with a 16gb it'll differ than using a 4gb?
4GB should be fine, I used a 8GB so I could add additional background photos.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 10-25-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
limpiabota809

$4.99 Patriot Signature 16 GB Class 10 microSDHC Card with SDHC Adapter AC,AR +FS

http://bit.ly/15vwmlp

Edit: just in case anyone is looking for a cheap sd card

Last edited by limpiabota809; 09-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.
limpiabota809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #20
Andy539

My Ride: 325ci m sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
4GB should be fine, I used a 16GB so I could add additional background photos. Plus I already had a 16GB SD card.
PM'd you
Andy539 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup camera, bluetooth, business unit, navigation