E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #61
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
I shoot at Ancient City Tactical in St Augustine. Membership expired a few months ago, so I haven't shot since then. I don't want to re-up my membership for the fact of me going on deployment at the end of the year, then heading to Bahrain for a year afterwards. I would love going out to the range with ya.
Used to shoot there as well. I'm down to meet up with you guys when I get back. If you play nice, I'll bring the cool toys...

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #62
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Used to shoot there as well. I'm down to meet up with you guys when I get back. If you play nice, I'll bring the cool toys...

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #63
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
AR build

Magpul hand guard on, now can't decide on verticle grip or magpul AFG...

Also any suggestions on pop up iron sights? Need a gas block sight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377993676.208119.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	524495

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #64
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I don't use a vertical grip or an AFG on any of my ARs. I tried both and ended up selling them. The closest that I get now is a LaRue handstop.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #65
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
AR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I don't use a vertical grip or an AFG on any of my ARs. I tried both and ended up selling them. The closest that I get now is a LaRue handstop.
And I'm the opposite bought handstops And sold them in favor of stubby vfg. Really comes down to what fits you best.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #66
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Realistically, you'll have to experiment and see which one you like the best. I started with a VFG, went to an AFG, tried a LaRue handstop, then went back to a stubby VFG. Stubby VFG works best for me.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #67
dan03833

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I purchased an Modern Sporting Rifle a few weeks ago. I'd like to add a bipod, but from what I can tell, they either attach where a swivel/sling attachement goes or to a rail. From what I can tell, this would be on the bottom of the gas block. The gas block on my rifle has neither of these attachment types. Is it difficult to swap out the gas block for one with the necessary attachment point? Is it something I'd need a gunsmith to do?
dan03833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #68
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan03833 View Post
I purchased an Modern Sporting Rifle a few weeks ago. I'd like to add a bipod, but from what I can tell, they either attach where a swivel/sling attachement goes or to a rail. From what I can tell, this would be on the bottom of the gas block. The gas block on my rifle has neither of these attachment types. Is it difficult to swap out the gas block for one with the necessary attachment point? Is it something I'd need a gunsmith to do?
Easier and more practical to swap out the rail instead if you don't have a quad rail now.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #69
Reedo302

Chances are that if you don't have a railed handguard, you likely don't have a platform that will really benefit much from a bipod. Bipods are really only needed if you spend a majority of your time shooting in the prone at or beyond 100yds. Of all the ARs I own, only one has a bipod, and that's because it's a precision long range build.
Most people who attach bipods to carbines either rarely use their rifles, or they use them and then take the bipods off because they realize that a bipod is excess weight on the front of the rifle that makes it more uncomfortable to hold or carry around.
The GripPod is a more "in between" option where it's a VFG that converts into a bipod. I have seen these fail, as they're not as durable as people would want them to be, so be aware of that.

If you do slap on a bipod, you need to get a free-floated rail. The bipod should in no way contact the barrel or anything attached to the barrel. When you shoot an AR, you need to load the bipod, or push into it. If the bipod is attached to the barrel, this will deviate the barrel when you shoot. Rail attachment is the best option for bipods. There are several options available, but the best are from Harris, GG&G and Atlas. Atlas V8 is by far the best, but it's also very expensive.

Glock Armorer

Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #70
dan03833

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Chances are that if you don't have a railed handguard, you likely don't have a platform that will really benefit much from a bipod. Bipods are really only needed if you spend a majority of your time shooting in the prone at or beyond 100yds. Of all the ARs I own, only one has a bipod, and that's because it's a precision long range build.
Most people who attach bipods to carbines either rarely use their rifles, or they use them and then take the bipods off because they realize that a bipod is excess weight on the front of the rifle that makes it more uncomfortable to hold or carry around.
The GripPod is a more "in between" option where it's a VFG that converts into a bipod. I have seen these fail, as they're not as durable as people would want them to be, so be aware of that.

If you do slap on a bipod, you need to get a free-floated rail. The bipod should in no way contact the barrel or anything attached to the barrel. When you shoot an AR, you need to load the bipod, or push into it. If the bipod is attached to the barrel, this will deviate the barrel when you shoot. Rail attachment is the best option for bipods. There are several options available, but the best are from Harris, GG&G and Atlas. Atlas V8 is by far the best, but it's also very expensive.
Reedo, David; thanks. My life does not depend on the rifle, nor will I be trusting it to put food on my table. It's more for plinking at the club. My reason for wanting a bipod is for stabilty to shoot better groupings. The rests that the club provides are too low for me to get comfortable aiming from the bench. I figured a bipod would be adjustable enough for height to accomodate me.
dan03833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #71
Reedo302

If you're shooting from a bench, a bipod is not the best option. Look into a tripod rest, or else a front and rear bag.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userse...mensionid=3940

Bipods do work for bench shooting, but you need one short enough to work on the bench or in a low prone. Then there are the dynamics of loading the bipod and so forth. If you're not looking for a large initial financial investment, it's far cheaper to spend $29 on a front bag. I'm not saying you can't buy a bipod, but if you do, you really do need to invest in a free float railed handguard.

Glock Armorer