E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Bernie@Fanatics
Administrator

My Ride: 83' 323is, 07' JCW
First Impressions of the BMW Concept M4 Coupe at Pebble Beach

BMW M4 Concept Shown off at Pebble Beach

Last night, we were fortunate enough to be at the World Premiere of the BMW Concept M4 Coupe that was held in Pebble Beach. After having seen the first photos in the press release, I wasn't convinced that the car was going to be as unique or special over the standard 4 Series - especially when you take into account the 4 Series M Performance Parts that will be arriving for the car in the not too distant future.

Once the cover came off of the M4 Concept, all those doubts that I had were left in the dust because the car was almost screaming to you just how special it was. You can look at the obvious flared fenders and carbon fiber treatments to have a quick sense of this being an M car or you can look deeper at options like the Carbon Ceramic brakes that are tucked in behind the massive M double spoke wheels. One of my biggest complaints on the standard 4 Series has been the continued use of the "standard" BMW mirrors that are a bit boxy and it was a big relief to see some styled mirrors finally appearing on this M concept car.

You are probably asking just how much this car is going to differ from the production version, right? Based on history with the E92 M3 concept car - what you see today in the concept version is likely to be nearly identical to the production version. We didn't get 100% confirmation of this from BMW but they did give the impression that there won't be many changes in the production model.

At the end of the day, I have to say that I think the M division got this one right in the design aspect. They put together a car that will stand out from the crowd and give some M owners a reason to considering upgrading their car. What we don't have an answer for yet is arguably what matters most - what is going to power the M4, what is it going to weigh and how is it going to handle?

Rumors continue to peg the M4 as being powered by an inline 6 with twin turbos pushing out somewhere between 425 and 450 horsepower and roughly 400 lb-ft of torque. If this can be combined with weight savings from the use of lightweight components to shed a few hundred pounds, the M4 might be able to make everyone upset about the name chnage forget about it and embrace the future.

The M4 Coupe has arrived and this first showing of the exterior design gives a lot of hope for the future of the car. Let's just hope that the M division comes through on the driving experience that M cars are expected to have given their long history. We will know more later this year and are likely to see production versions of the car in January 2014 at the Detroit Auto Show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-m4-concept-pebble-beach-158.jpg
Views:	2874
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	522770   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-m4-concept-pebble-beach-091.jpg
Views:	3048
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	522771   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-m4-concept-pebble-beach-126.jpg
Views:	2728
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	522772   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-m4-concept-pebble-beach-106.jpg
Views:	2786
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	522773  

Bernie@Fanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
AJP330i

My Ride: 05 ZHP
Luv it.

"Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left". Ty Webb

Last edited by AJP330i; 08-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.
AJP330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Alpine

My Ride: 2002 E46 BMW 330Ci
Looks awesome!

I just hope the exhaust sounds better than it did in the teaser video (with all the old M3s). It sounded like an EVO in that video, not like an M.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
E46DreaM3r

My Ride: 03 Imola Vert M3
amazingly perfected!!
E46DreaM3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
tuscan1205

My Ride: 325CI
Love it, though I wish it still held the same name.

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
Re: First Impressions of the BMW Concept M4 Coupe at Pebble Beach

Damn where did they unviel it? I was all around the lodge area but didn't see it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
atrac

My Ride: 01 ///M
car looks impressive but I definatly agree with the "I wish it was still called a 3 series." I just sounds wrong. maybe I need to ride in one to forget about the name
atrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
DGK

My Ride: 05 AW M3
The car looks great, I hope to see it in jet black
DGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
afstud

My Ride: 02 & 04 325xi sports
ooooohh myyyyyyyy god thats absolutely stunning. id have sex with it.

02' 325i sport/premium pkgs zhp wheels & shift knob, euro clears, painted lip, Eonon Nav unit.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
a new home page!!!! yay

anyway, car looks good but the front and especially the rear bumper look to sharp for me. i like smooth lines more

Edit. It looks like it has mud flaps molded into the rear bumper

Last edited by BDUB328I; 08-24-2013 at 07:31 PM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Andrew@ORT
Account Under Review

My Ride: m3 / V8 + 66mm snail
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrac View Post
car looks impressive but I definatly agree with the "I wish it was still called a 3 series." I just sounds wrong. maybe I need to ride in one to forget about the name
I agree with everything said.

It's still going to be an impressive car, just wish it still had the 3 series badging.
Andrew@ORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
monkawekrue

My Ride: 03 M3 CB/04 M3 AW
so sick
monkawekrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #13
resto330

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Question

I agree. Maybe though the M3 has evolved into that from the e46 and in doing so, needs a new badge..
?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_183932.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	525155  
resto330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #14
nosphoros

My Ride: E46 330i
Why is BMW watering down it's simple tried-and-true model scheme? Mercedes and Audi have tonnes of models and it is hard to figure out exactly which is which because they have too many different options, engines, and configurations. I liked the simple: 3, 5, 6, 7, x3/x5, Zmodels... I thought this made sense: 3 series is entry level and balanced, 5 series for middle luxury, 6 series for sports enthusiast coupe/luxury coupe, 7 for top luxury and well, x for soccer moms. Z is pretty self-explanatory.

Now we have 1 series in both car and suv, 3 series all over the place (and sticker price to prove it), 4 series for what purpose? middle luxury coupe? 5 series is looking even more muddled and overpriced, and the others seem to be back where they should be. Seems like BMW is going to be severely watering down their offerings (as Mercedes did) and this will impact market value severely in the next few years. Just look at those Mercedes top-end that are only 3 years old. They're less than a quarter sticker price. I still can't figure out Mercedes naming/number scheme.

Plus, it looks like a damn Kia Optima in the front.

Ugh.
nosphoros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw m4 concept, bmw m4 pebble beach, m4 first impressions, m4 pebble beach