E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #81
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
Have done this twice...Florida sun kills plastic....would recommend also using the liquid that moistens the seals around the window.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #82
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I was out on the road today and passed by a BMW dealership... Northwest BMW in Reisterstown, MD. I looked up the part number and saw I could order it from GetBMWParts.com for $52.... SO I gave the dealer parts guy the part number... He came back at $85... I told him about the $52 price. He came down to $65 quickly... I went ahead and bought it.

One word of advice. I thought I had a puller (which I probably needed) small enough to do the job. But mine was too big... So I started prying the arm up gently with a wooden mallet handle as the fulcrum. The Driver's side popped up slowly and I was close enough to catch everything. HOwever... The passenger side popped off and landed in the middle of the engine bay... Dropping the center piuece of the wiper holder somewhere in the engine bay. I could hear it "tink-tink-tink" down the engine. I thought it would end up on the bottom tray cover but it didn't... So I lost that little piece. Lesson learned.... Take the nut off and either have a good set of hands or throw a small piece of duct tape over the tope to catch the center part.

Overall, hunting for the missing part notwithstanding, the swap was very quick and took about 10 minutes. It makes the car look much newer... Except for the wiper in my back seat... I have to hit a BMW dealership tomorrow for the missing part!

Last edited by Big Rick; 01-03-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #83
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
How the hell did he just drop $20 just like that. Wtf?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #84
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
My bmw parts guys will drop prices too. I've knocked over $400 of what they wanted for a bumper.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #85
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
I have worked for dealers off an on for the past 25 years. Right now I work for a lender that works with dealers... But that really has nothing to do with the pricing except that I KNOW the parts guys ALWAYS hits you at the highest price.

I had the part number written down on a piece of paper with $52.87 below that. I told him that Tischer would honor that price but I didn't want to burn the gas (40+ miles away in traffic) or pay for shipping so I thought I would try him.

I could have had it delvered for free and even cheaper if I wanted to wait. I know so many dealers that I could have called from one and just asked them to deliver the part to that dealer... COD. I could have left the money and picked the part up later. But I wanted it right then.

Now I need to go out and get "Wiper Arm Element - Part # 61618226059" from one of the local BMW dealers so I can get my other wiper on today. Either that or I'll need to order it and overnight it.

Last edited by Big Rick; 01-04-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #86
Big Rick

Got my wiper piece that I lost at BMW of Towson today..... $2.26

Now I am wiping with both arms....

Uh... That sounded sick...
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #87
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
If anyone needs to replace their windshield, order this before, then hand it to the guy replacing the windshield for free labor.

Otherwise, pulling the wiper arms off was fairly easy. Dude just popped them off with his fingers.

Seriously though, cheap part. Same damn thing for a Miata runs like $120 for some reason.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #88
TrentW

My Ride: 89 325is, 02 325iT
Both of my wiper arms were frozen on the shafts. Found this puller at Advance Auto Parts specifically for the job. However, the jaw opening was not wide enough to fit over the flange of the arm, so I used my pneumatic tool with a grinding bit and enlarged it to 13/16" and it worked like a charm. A lot easier than the damned puller. Highly recommend a good coat of 303 Protectant before installing the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool 001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	527450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool 002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	527451  

Last edited by TrentW; 09-23-2013 at 09:35 AM.
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote