E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #361
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
I'm sorry but I couldn't help laughing at the pics with the fuel rail leaking. It was a DOH moment. Hahahahaha
Repetitive DOH.

I actually had 3 different fuel rails on the shelf that I could have used. At times I was very tempted to run a different one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC330CI View Post
Congratulations Adam...that's fantastic!
Thanks.

Welcome back to E46f

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
In many ways I see this build being about the journey and not necessarily the destination.. and I admire your dedication!
It's a hobby. The fun would be over if I "got there". I hope I never do....

BTW, I have a few options for seats I could put in the car. Sparco is nice, but I think the Wife likes the Montana leather seats from the 330Ci best. If I go that route, I think I'd end up changing the entire interior to beige. No 6 point harnesses...who puts those in street cars anyway?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #362
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Holy crap

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #363
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

For those that missed out on the transmission adventures:

Old 07-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #364
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
^ Adam, how much torque is that trans able to handle ?

What is the WHP & WTQ goal for this "Grocery Getter" when finished.....with & without the nitrous ?

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #365
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
^ Adam, how much torque is that trans able to handle ?

What is the WHP & WTQ goal for this "Grocery Getter" when finished.....with & without the nitrous ?

Rob
Rob,

It's a confusing situation, because I've been given 2 numbers for this transmission without much explanation as to why. In general though, 600rwhp seems to be a number that has been quoted to a number of people for this transmission by IPT.

Regarding power: My target is 450/450 at the wheels for street driving. I expect that to happen with somewhere over 10psi of boost, but according to the compressor map I should be good up to about 17 without over-spending the turbine wheel.

The meth injection is a development idea. I was originally going to use the HFS-6 controller, which bases injection off of injector duty cycle, but I'm waiting for an electronics package to arrive that will hopefully allow more advanced control. The idea being to control injection based on engine load and IAT. Later, I'd like to add a second injection stage of pure H2O pre-compressor. This would have it's flow rate controlled by turbo compressor speed and mass-flow.

The nitrous can flow about 200hp worth, but I doubt I would ever use that. Pending the electronics package, the idea will be to add power to the torque curve to fill in gaps. (I want to make the torque output as smooth as possible) This would be gear based, with probably a limiter on flow based on the exhaust pressure ratio.

Obviously the electronics package is key to my plans, but to start with I'll probably just run the engine off the 4psi WG spring, and leave the meth and nitrous alone.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #366
wrecklessfool

My Ride: is paid off
What parts do you need from the washer system? I may be able to scrounge up some stuff from my car depending on what it is. Let me know if you want me to look.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #367
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Adam, that sounds good.

The 600 whp number for that trans actually sounds low, meaning I'd think there's a lot safety margin built into that number. I'd guess that with the "special" cooling system you are supplying that trans, it will handle 20% more than that figure with ease.

When you've got things buttoned up, I'd love to see some of your dyno sheets (publicly or privately) where you "fill in the gaps" with extra power adders; no matter what they may be.

It really is the journey, isn't it.

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #368
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklessfool View Post
What parts do you need from the washer system? I may be able to scrounge up some stuff from my car depending on what it is. Let me know if you want me to look.
All the rubber lines from the reservoir to the washer nozzles, and I need the washer nozzles as well.

Thanks for checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Adam, that sounds good.

The 600 whp number for that trans actually sounds low, meaning I'd think there's a lot safety margin built into that number. I'd guess that with the "special" cooling system you are supplying that trans, it will handle 20% more than that figure with ease.

When you've got things buttoned up, I'd love to see some of your dyno sheets (publicly or privately) where you "fill in the gaps" with extra power adders; no matter what they may be.

It really is the journey, isn't it.

Rob
Rob,

I have a feeling where this engine ends up is outside of my current plans...or understanding. The electronics package is probably a big part of that....

Dyno sheets will be public, I've got nothing to hide. The other thing is that what I will be doing is probably going to be outside of most people's means...so there is a very small audience that will be interested in copying. I don't mean that specifically from a financial perspective, but more of a practical perspective. The electronics package (and software) isn't even available to the general public yet.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #369
wrecklessfool

My Ride: is paid off
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
All the rubber lines from the reservoir to the washer nozzles, and I need the washer nozzles as well.

Thanks for checking.

Just looked out in the garage and I don't have any of the parts you're looking for. Unfortunately I have most of the parts you're NOT looking for!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #370
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklessfool View Post
Just looked out in the garage and I don't have any of the parts you're looking for. Unfortunately I have most of the parts you're NOT looking for!
Thank you for checking.

Looks like I'll be ordering OEM. (The wife will be happier)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #371
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

I've just recently been able to work on the car again; there's a little bit of progress.

In July we identified a problem with the A1000 fuel pump, and I sent it back to Aeromotive for repair. In short: Don't use water to flow pressure test with. (Something I did back in 2010 on a test rig) Earlier this week the pump was delivered to the shop, and today I was able to install it back in the car.

Last spring I ordered all new 3.25" T-bolt clamps for the charge pipes. This was the recommended sizing for 3" charge pipes, but none of them fit over the silicone couplers. This is why on the initial start up of the engine, the charge pipes were not installed. I have since ordered another set of T-bolt clamps, (3.5" for the 3" charge pipes, and 2.88" for the 2.5" charge pipe) and finally installed these today.

It was really nice to hear the car running again, but the engine ran rough on tip-in with the charge pipes installed. I tried disconnecting the vacuum feed lines to the Synapse BOV, and this seemed to solve most of the issue. Tomorrow I'm going to connect the AE Scanner to the DME, and do some data logging to find out what's going on. It may just need to have all the adaptations reset with the charge pipes installed....

The FPR needed re-adjustment. I had mistakenly set fuel pressure at idle to 50 PSI with the manifold pressure line connected to the FPR. Manifold vacuum was pulling the pressure down...as with the line disconnected I was seeing 60+ PSI at idle. The proper way to do this is to set the fuel pressure to 50 PSI without the manifold pressure line connected.

The 4" pre-turbo intake pipe I made didn't fit. I was tempted to put the 3" Technique Tuning intake pipe back in with an 3"-4" adapter for the turbo, but this idea really didn't sit right with me. In the end I ordered materials to build something new, which I'll show more of shortly.

Pre-turbo water injection is in the works.

Lastly, the wiring in the car has been a mess because I've been undecided about electronics. (Control and data logging) On one hand, I just wanted to get the car back on the road this year, which would involve wiring in all the existing electronics I have at the shop. On the other hand, I have a fairly detailed long term plan which would require a completely different set of electronics. Fate took over. The decision was taken out of my hands when I was injured in a freak weather incident. Unable to work on the car, the chance of getting the car back on the road this year is gone. So there will be a new electronics package installed...eventually. To start with, all the ancillary functions outside of the engine will be run by a new ECU.(The DME will still run the engine) Then, we will gradually take over functions performed by the DME until we have full control of the power train. (Including appropriate CAN Bus communication) I realize this is a bit vague, but I just don't have the time to cover all this in detail yet.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #372
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Sorry to hear about the accident Adam, I always look forward to your posts but this one saddens me...get well soon.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #373
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident Adam, I always look forward to your posts but this one saddens me...get well soon.
Thanks Kenton
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #374
MC330CI

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Agreed - get better soon Adam!
MC330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #375
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Adam, I hope your ok. What happened??

get well soon my Brother.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #376
mkodama

A friend got me a copy of the Bosch Automotive Handbook a few months ago, and part of what Bosch implied as the "ultimate fuel system" (for a modern street car) reminded me of the ultimate fuel system you described in commanderwiggin's thread a while back.

Something I commented on about your system was limiting fuel pressure in low fuel consumption situations, and a minimum flow rate a pump would do, so I said a fuel pressure regulator would still be needed.

Bosch's setup had a pressure relief valve, but there was not much description of what it actually was aside from providing relief during overrun, but I don't exactly think it's a pressure regulator either since Bosch said an added benefit of this system was bumping up fuel pressure during hot starts to prevent vapor bubbles, which a normal regulator wouldn't allow.

Anyway, some food for thought.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #377
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
A friend got me a copy of the Bosch Automotive Handbook a few months ago, and part of what Bosch implied as the "ultimate fuel system" (for a modern street car) reminded me of the ultimate fuel system you described in commanderwiggin's thread a while back.

Something I commented on about your system was limiting fuel pressure in low fuel consumption situations, and a minimum flow rate a pump would do, so I said a fuel pressure regulator would still be needed.

Bosch's setup had a pressure relief valve, but there was not much description of what it actually was aside from providing relief during overrun, but I don't exactly think it's a pressure regulator either since Bosch said an added benefit of this system was bumping up fuel pressure during hot starts to prevent vapor bubbles, which a normal regulator wouldn't allow.

Anyway, some food for thought.

I bought that book years ago. Expensive, but almost endless reading!

I'm expecting to take delivery of an electronics package that will allow me to do exactly what I described earlier in the other thread.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #378
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I bought that book years ago. Expensive, but almost endless reading!

I'm expecting to take delivery of an electronics package that will allow me to do exactly what I described earlier in the other thread.
It seems to me like your electronics are always so hush-hush and constantly changing.

What electronics are going in now and what is controlling what?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #379
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Re: Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo on an automatic

Welcome back!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #380
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
It seems to me like your electronics are always so hush-hush and constantly changing.

What electronics are going in now and what is controlling what?
The electronics I want haven't been available to the public, and more importantly, the firmware/software for what I want to do doesn't exist yet.

Every once in a while I toy with option B or C in frustration, but once I look at the big picture, I revert back to option A.

What is Option A?

Motec M150, C125, and PDM30.

Until an unlocked version of M1 Tune is made available, I'm at a stand still with the electronics package. So as a back-up plan, I've kept the DME in place, and will run a few other boxes like an AMS-500, HFS-6, and WON controller. Not a big deal to wire this stuff in, I just haven't found the time.

The 330i project will be moving to a new home shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Welcome back!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks! And I left again...