E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #221
318ise

My Ride: 318i se
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrichar View Post
The bushing is 68mm across, so I made it about 67mm. The large pipe piece was a standard size steel pipe bought from the local metal dealer. I just took the new bushing the dealer and found a piece of pipe that the bushing just fit inside of. It was about 70mm inside diameter. I roughly cut another flat bar piece to go over the end of the large pipe, and with a 1/2 inch threaded bar and a couple of nuts, I had my tool. The whole tool cost less than $10.

nice simple tool that will work nicely , first time iv seen anyone writing up the size of materials needed , excellent !
318ise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #222
miked02

My Ride: 330ci
Will anyone who has replaced the diff bushing and fixed their clunk noise describe in detail the scenarios that would cause the clunk? I can't seem to find descriptions in this thread.
miked02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #223
APKhaos

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked02 View Post
Will anyone who has replaced the diff bushing and fixed their clunk noise describe in detail the scenarios that would cause the clunk? I can't seem to find descriptions in this thread.
Seriously? Guess you looked REEEAAALLLLYY hard too.
Post #209 on page 11 [hint: that's the page before this one] has a video of exactly what to look for.
APKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #224
miked02

Quote:
Originally Posted by APKhaos View Post
Seriously? Guess you looked REEEAAALLLLYY hard too.
Post #209 on page 11 [hint: that's the page before this one] has a video of exactly what to look for.
I asked for people to describe a scenario in which that noise occurs ie: taking foot off gas, or giving it gas at a low speed etc etc. I'm trying to match scenarios to my own.

I understand that the video shows how a failed bushing moves under load.

Last edited by miked02; 06-20-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #225
APKhaos

My Ride: 99 328i
Loading the drive train causes the diff to move, which causes the clunk.
- Auto: Foot on brake, move from D to R to D to R etc. Should clunk every time
- Man: Parking brake on, Shift to first & ease out the clutch should clunk.
Note that all this does is create the noise. There are several possible causes for the clunk:
- Failed diff bushing [see video for this one]
- Failed/cracked subframe allowing the diff carrier to move
- Auto trans has a third possibility referenced in this thread and others.
You need to positively identify the cause. In my case, the movement in the diff bushing was obvious, and there were no signs of subframe cracking.
APKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #226
miked02

Thanks, this is what i'm looking for.

I will try the manual test you provided and double check the subframe mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APKhaos View Post
Loading the drive train causes the diff to move, which causes the clunk.
- Auto: Foot on brake, move from D to R to D to R etc. Should clunk every time
- Man: Parking brake on, Shift to first & ease out the clutch should clunk.
Note that all this does is create the noise. There are several possible causes for the clunk:
- Failed diff bushing [see video for this one]
- Failed/cracked subframe allowing the diff carrier to move
- Auto trans has a third possibility referenced in this thread and others.
You need to positively identify the cause. In my case, the movement in the diff bushing was obvious, and there were no signs of subframe cracking.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #227
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
I have the official tool for rent if anyone needs it....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=994594

Last edited by Custom3; 06-29-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #228
damman98

My Ride: 99 328i and 09 328i
ok, i started this job today, just doing the rear bushing as it is clunking something fierce. Thank you OP for the great tutorial, it certainly helped a lot.

I got the old bushing out but can't seem to find out which side the new bushing goes in. Do you slide it in from the left or right side of the car. My guess is that it goes in from the left side, the side with the sway bar mount kind of nearby. Anyone?
damman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #229
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
DIY : Replacing rear differential bushings (mounts) aka notorious rear end clunk

I ended up greasing the crap out of it and pulling it in from the passenger side.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #230
damman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
I ended up greasing the crap out of it and pulling it in from the passenger side.

Actually, when you say "from" the passenger side, do you mean it entered from the driver's side and you pulled it in towards the passengers side? i guess i'm confused

Last edited by damman98; 06-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #231
damman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
i showed this thread to my mech buddy, he says it has to come out, because u have to press the rear bushing in and u cant do that with the diff in place as it has to be press from the side that the diff is in.
he said if u look at the rear bushing housing you can see its slightly tapered.
Looks like the answer was buried in the thread, enters from the passenger's side and pulled toward the driver's side. tapered eh?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #232
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
DIY : Replacing rear differential bushings (mounts) aka notorious rear end clunk

Yeah. Pull it (the bushing) through the hole from the passenger side. Like you found. Moving it passenger side to diver side

Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #233
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3

my indy shop charge $200 for labor to replace diff bushings, fair enough?

Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #234
damman98

I'd say more than fair, too bad (for me) you're in Houston. Just completed mine, worth $200 fo' sho'
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #235
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by damman98 View Post
I'd say more than fair, too bad (for me) you're in Houston. Just completed mine, worth $200 fo' sho'
you did it yourself? how hard is it scale 1-10?
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #236
damman98

Well, I had never removed the rear axles or the diff, so that part was kinda slow, nothing too difficult.
Getting the old one out wasn't bad using a saw.
Putting the new one in was easy on my second try, damaged the first, once i made "tool" with a threaded rod and 2 metal discs to pull it through.

the OP said 9.5-10 but i'd say 7 of 10...(previous Saab owner)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #237
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Did this job this last weekend. If any of you are planning this job and are considering making your own tool or anything, just stop. I rented the correct Koch tool from Custom3 and it made all the tales of damaged DIY tools, torches, and saws seem like extreme masochism. From the moment I took the tool out of the box until the moment I put it back in - old bushing replaced with new - took about 5 minutes. The old bushing that had been in place for over 200,000 miles slid out without the slightest problem, and the new one slid in just as easy. No worries about how far to put the new bushing in because the tool bottoms out at the correct point.

Overall on a scale of 1-10 I'd put this job at maybe a 6 or 7 simply because there are several things to disconnect and the differential itself is heavy and awkward to remove and replace. I definitely recommend having an assistant to at least move/operate a jack while you maneuver it into place. Replacing the bushing itself was honestly the easiest part of the job.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #238
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
For those looking to rent the differential tools, go here: http://automotivespecialtytool.net/s...x=-1051&y=-117

I will be mailing the tools back to tool_loot on Monday. Using them make the job fairly easy.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #239
dedekind

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Hi, so old thread.. long story short: bought a 2001 330ci MT a month ago, had a PPI done before at an indy shop. The mech said that the rear differential bushing was torn, and needed replacement somewhat soonish to prevent subframe damage. Among other minor things, I used that to negotiate the price on the car, and bought it. Didn't replace the bushing yet.

Anyway, I have a clunk sound when shifting, but I am not sure it's related to the differential. Whenever I go from neutral to first or reverse (when leaving my home, say), I hear a slight noise but it's not too loud, it's kind of a thump, and I just find it normal for a MT car. I'm also not sure if it's related to the differential, it just makes that kind of noise when the car is off and I move through a couple of gears in a parking lot, but it's very slight and it doesn't bother me. The one that does bother me is: when shifting from 1st to 2nd (car running). If I press the clutch and move the shift lever somehow quickly/hard, I hear a loud clunk coming from the rear (almost unnoticeable if window is closed, very loud if window is down; in a closed parking lot it sounds awful). This clunk occurs when I shift, but I'm still with the clutch pressed in, so there is no load, which leads me to believe that it's not related to the differential. If I just press the clutch and do nothing, no clunk. If I press it and release it without shifting, no clunk. If I shift very slowly from 1st to 2nd (moving the shift lever smoothly and slowly), I can basically make the clunk disappear. But I never shift like that in a normal street driving situation. I don't shift hard either!

Also, the other changes (from 2nd to 3rd and up) don't give me any noticeable clunks (could be because of louder ambient noise at higher speeds, but I definitely think they're not as serious).

Do you think my appreciations are correct? What could it be if it's not related to the differential?

Except for the ghetto situation that it puts me in, the clunk noise is not something that bothers me per se. But I wouldn't want to be damaging something. I guess I can just take it to a shop for a diagnostic.

Last edited by dedekind; 09-06-2013 at 02:10 PM.
dedekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #240
dedekind

My Ride: 2001 330ci

Wow I actually just checked again when parked. Opened the door to hear the sound more. I press the clutch (car is off) and don't release it and move the gear selector and hear a clear noise but not coming from the rear. It comes from the middle/front of the car. No clues

Last edited by dedekind; 09-06-2013 at 09:21 PM.
dedekind is offline   Reply With Quote