E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglittledog View Post
2 expansion tanks: yeah, that's a crappy design and something they should have fix...plus the first may have frozen and weakened when the PO didn't have windshield antifreeze in the tank.

Washer pump replaced: I would almost guarantee that someone was cheap and put water or water mix instead of windshield antifreeze into the tank to save 2 bucks. The water freezes and either breaks off the plastic impeller or burns out the motor when it can't turn. I've seen this on lots of cars. Operator error and one of my pet peeves. Buy a 40k+ car and then too cheap or lazy to do the most simple maintenance. Not necessarily you that did it wrong.
What are you talking about antifreeze and windshield washer fluid are 2 different things

Last edited by Arnezie; 09-07-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
biglittledog

My Ride: 2002 325xiT
Send a message via Skype™ to biglittledog
I think you know... winter windshield fluid. Obviously not engine coolant. I've edited the original post so you won't be confused anymore.
Thanks
1967 Jaguar 420G
2003 Moto Guzzi 1100
1989 Honda XR600r
1968 BSA Shooting Star

Last edited by biglittledog; 09-07-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: nomenclature
biglittledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglittledog View Post
I think you know... winter windshield fluid. Obviously not engine coolant. I've edited the original post so you won't be confused anymore.
Thanks
I wasn't confused , I think you were
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #24
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
There is zero reasons a 2003 would need a new engine except for abuse - and a lot of it either from you, the previous owner, or a combination. 2 alternators - not unheard of. I replaced an alternator in my Civic and it failed within a week. The third one was fine. The first one lasted over 180K miles. Your other items that you replaced 2 times - no - none should have needed them replaced 2 times in less than 200K miles. There are quality parts out there - they are not hard to find (Stewart water pumps for one).

My 2001 still have the original clutch/flywheel (as far as can be determined), entire suspension is original, alternator, springs, one control arm has been replaced the rest are original, and the bushings are original. This is with 175K miles on the car and I am the 3rd owner. First owner put all of the miles on the car.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
adrian8507

My Ride: E46 325xi 2002
Re: I hate BMW's

I think you bought a abused E46 and previous person didn't do any maintenence on that car so you had to pay for his actions.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
adrian8507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I'm not gonna hate on BMW's 'cause some owner claims they're potentially a part eatin', money pit. The average owner experience, in terms of maintenance frustration, would probably check the "acceptable" box. Owning many cars for many years allows me to state, if proper maintenance is performed, with quality parts, these clearly can be ran into high mileage numbers without excessive expenses such as, engines, transmissions, transfer cases or thousand dollar electronic modules. Stuff that breaks (wear items like belts) breaks on all cars. So what's all the crying about?

This forum will save you big bucks with less mistakes! Example, before plunging into a cooling system refresh, I read 20 threads here. Locked in, I ordered a BMW expansion tank, Stewart pump, OEM supplier hoses belts and what-nots. I did not order the bundled "kit" from the cheaper supplier because I read about failures and fitment problems involved. With clear technique documented by others, the installation went flawlessly with no issues for thousands of miles later. Axles, boots and bears - oh my! Get over it and pay attention to replacement parts. I had a couple boot clamp leaks where I re-booted the factory axles at 60K. A boot ripped a couple years later eating the CV where the Independent shop recommended new Empi Axles. The shop never gets recalls and offered a three year warranty parts and labor. I had both sides replaced. Three years, no worries, and way less expensive than the German flavors. So its not always factory parts only as the purists believe.

It's all about research and time you're willing to invest to take care of your car. For the "I never want to do anything" type of owner, getcha a Toyota and go away please.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #27
sammy2303

My Ride: 325 xi
E46 factory rear suspension is sub-par for any car. GM AS5 390R transmissions are just that- GM made. They have seal issue.
Front end suspension requires preventive maintenance on all the rubber/vinyl parts- spray them with Armor Oil if you can.
This will buy you an additional 20K miles but eventually they fail. Control and stabilizer bushings fail prematurely.

German engineering is sound but economics drive sub-par components, to drive retail lower, to promote sales,
at the expense of the user. Sounds like GM.

Question: Has there ever ben a study to see what car will run the longest without any repair? I'd guess the 1975 Toyota Corona.
sammy2303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #28
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2303 View Post
E46 factory rear suspension is sub-par for any car. GM AS5 390R transmissions are just that- GM made. They have seal issue.
Front end suspension requires preventive maintenance on all the rubber/vinyl parts- spray them with Armor Oil if you can.
This will buy you an additional 20K miles but eventually they fail. Control and stabilizer bushings fail prematurely.

German engineering is sound but economics drive sub-par components, to drive retail lower, to promote sales,
at the expense of the user. Sounds like GM.

Question: Has there ever ben a study to see what car will run the longest without any repair? I'd guess the 1975 Toyota Corona.
lolwut?

Armorall (I'm guessing that's what you meant by armor oil?) is notorious for drying out plastic parts and making them sticky and bad. No wonder you have issues with stuff only lasting 20k miles.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote