E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
Cleaners for everything

Hey everybody
Im new to detailing my car and since spring is here and im cleaning out the garage, i want to get some new cleaners. Sadly i can gaurantee that the last owner never conditioned the leather or really waxed it nice. So i was looking for some info on what products do the best for outside and inside.

I happened to look around detailedimage.com and thats where i wanna get all the products from, but not 100% sure on what i need/want to get.

Greg, if you could chime in with some input it'd really appriciate it. Im basically looking for everything. the shampoo the clay bar, the wax, polishes glaszes, sealants, and then the interior stuff.

Thanks again.
jon

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Thanks for inquiring about our products. We'd be happy to help you select some great products to clean, shine and protect your vehicle.I'm not sure of the exact condition of your paint but it sounds like it needs a full detail. I'll try to outline a full package for the interior, exterior, wheels, etc. We can adjust the package as needed if we missed anything or if more is needed.

Interior
The 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover is the premier interior cleaner because of its ability to easily separate contaminates and lift them for safe removal. Spray the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover on fabrics with a firm bristle brush to deep clean fabric surfaces and remove deeply embedded stains. It also works on most of your interior surfaces (vinyl, plastic, rubber, fabrics) so one bottle can clean virtually your entire interior. Follow up this cleaning by protecting the surface with the versatile 303 Aerospace Protectant. The 303 Aerospace Protectant has SPF 40 for any vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather surface that blocks UV harmful rays and prevents slow fade from sun exposure. Apply this to the dashboard, armrests, tires, plastic trim, rubber seals, moldings, seats, etc. and you’ll see a brilliant shine without the greasy oily feeling that many other generic products leave behind. For glass I clean regularly with the Invisible Glass, it’s a great streak free shine and safe on all tints. I also recommend using the Glass Science Rain Clear Kit, which comes with both the Rain Clear Gel and Glass Scrub. Use the Glass Scrub first to deep clean glass and get rid of any embedded deposits like lime scale, acid rain, water marks, etc. After deep cleaning the glass protect it with the Rain Clear Gel. It seals the pores in the glass and prevents moisture from clinging to the windshield. This forces water to form very tiny beads and makes driving in any rain very easy. To clean the leather and condition it use the Leatherique Prestine Clean with a terry cloth applicator. Rub it into the seats with the applicator and wait about 15 – 20 minutes then remove with a damp microfiber towel, followed by a dry towel. If you want a really deep conditioning that really helps revive the leather apply the Leatherique Rejuvenator first. Apply it liberally and let it bake into the seat by letting the seat sit in the sun all day. Then put the Leatherique Prestine Clean right on top of it and follow the removal procedure listed above. After you're done your entire interior should be thoroughly cleaned and protected for a stunning appearance.

Exterior
Washing and drying is often the most overlooked step but is one of the most important. To complete an effective wash you want to safely remove as much contamination as possible. Removing contamination can be done with a good auto shampoo, mitt and drying towel. A true auto shampoo has conditioners in it, which allow it to more safely break up contamination compared to shampoos without conditioners. Soaps like Dawn have powerful stripping agents that can dry out your clear coat, vinyl trim and plastic trim with repeated use. After selecting a good auto shampoo make sure you have a paint safe wash mitt. We recommend using two wash mitts, one for upper panels and non-heavily contaminated areas, while the other mitt is for lower panels, wheels and heavily contaminated areas. Its essential that you keep the mitt touching your clear-coated surfaces as clean as possible so you don’t drag contaminates across your paint. After completing the wash make sure you’re drying with a paint safe towel. Many people use rags and old towels that can be adding micro fine scratches in the clear coat. We highly recommend getting microfiber waffle weave towels that are totally paint safe and absorb large amounts of water. Clay bar is great because it helps remove micro and macro contaminates from the surface. Spray the clay lube on a 2ft X 2ft area and gently glide the clay side to side. With our 200g bars I recommend cutting the bar into fifths and using a new one each detail. It will exfoliate the clear coat to help rid contaminates that are embedded in the ridges of clear coat, that aren’t removed during regular washes. After you’re done wipe down the surface with a microfiber towel and remove excess clay lube. Remold the clay and repeat the process until the vehicle is done (you can also use it on glass, wheels, metal and more). Polishing is the next step in the process and produces some of the most noticeable results in the detailing process. I like to start off recommending the Porter Cable for a variety of reasons. The Porter Cable is a great way to really restore the paint's surface and maintain it. It's an extremely durable machine that should help you with your detailing needs for years to come. The best part is that it's safe to use on your paint and will not burn your paint like rotary buffers will. The Porter Cable will save you time and energy while improving your detailing results. To remove swirls you want to apply an medium cutting polish like the Menzerna Intensive Polish. This will help eliminate the swirls permanently, not just hide them. I highly recommend applying this with the Porter Cable because it gives much more even coverage of product and heat. This ultimately means that the product will break down better and work in to the clear coat’s surface more efficiently. When you do these applications by hand it's difficult to give your paint constant pressure all the way around and throughout the entire detail (especially with multiple coats). After applying any medium cutting polish you should always follow up with a lighter polish to buff out any haze that may be left behind and restore surface gloss. I recommend using the Menzerna Final Polish II. After applying this product the surface should be very clean and clear. These two coats will significantly reduce the appearance of swirls not eliminate them entirely. Now that you have diminished the swirls you’re ready to move on to the glaze. Many people like to use the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze after they use a polish because the glaze fills in any imperfections that the polishes don't buff out. This can be applied by hand or by a buffer but again I think a buffer does overall a better job. The kaolin oils in the glaze cling to imperfections and give off the illusion of flawless paint. The glaze also makes the paint look alive and very glossy. Glazes have long been one of the favorite products of show car owners and detail shops because of the extraordinary depth and gloss they add. Next you want to seal in the beautiful and glossy appearance with a sealant. Sealants are like waxes except better because they offer increased protection, better shine, more resistance to nature's elements and more. My personal favorite sealant is Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket. Like all Menzerna products it’s made in Germany and it is an amazingly well rounded product. It can be applied by hand or with a buffer, I prefer a buffer and believe it gets much better results. It goes on super easy and comes off effortlessly. It gives off a brilliant shine that is only rivaled by carnauba waxes. The last step, which is also optional, is using a carnauba wax. After giving the car the protection it needs many people like to apply a carnauba wax that goes on very slick and comes of very easy. One of my favorite carnauba waxes is the Poorboy’s World Natty’s Blue Paste Wax. By applying a coat you will add dramatic gloss and depth to the paint that really gives your paint the "wet" look. Carnauba waxes don't offer that much protection so we recommend applying it on top of the sealant to get the ideal combination of protection and appearance. I remove each one of these products by hand with a microfiber towel after I do about one or two panels. Microfiber towels are great because they are completely paint safe and lift and trap excess product instead of just pushing excess product around. Polishes usually take about 2 – 4 towels and glazes, sealants and waxes take about 1 – 2 towels. Usually a ten pack of microfiber towels is perfect to remove any excess product. Some of our previous customers have used a similar process and had stunning results. Please feel free to read these pages and some of our customer’s comments.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=298937
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=281767

Wheels and Tires
For your wheels I would use two products to wash and protect them. I clean them with the P21S Metal Polishing Soap. Just dunk the supplied sponge in water and wipe it across the soap and you'll have a rich lather that breaks up brake dust and road grime while shining the wheel. Now to protect your wheels apply the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. This product will apply a micro thin barrier between your wheels and brake dust that comes off your brake pads at several hundred degrees. It helps prevent pitting and heavily built up brake dust. It also reduces the amount of time you spend cleaning your wheels in the future. For tires I really like the Poorboy's World Bold n Bright for a great shine.

Summary of products with links:
Interior
Interior Kit # 2
1x Leatherique Prestine Clean 32oz
1x Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil 32oz
1x 303 Fabric Cleaner Concentrate 32oz
1x 303 High Tech Fabric Guard 16oz
1x 303 Aerospace Protectant 16oz
1x Stoner's Invisible Glass 19oz
1x Firm Bristle Upholstery Brush

Exterior
1X Poorboy's World Super Slick and Suds
1X Sheepskin Wash Mitt (upper panels)
1X Microfiber Wash Mitt (low panels)
2X Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels
1X Clear Kote Clay Bar Kit (Clay Bar 200g Bar and 16oz Quick Shine clay lube)
1X Menzerna Intensive Polish
1X Menzerna Final Polish II
1X Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze
1X Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket
1X Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax
10X - 15X General Purpose Microfiber Towels
Porter Cable 7424 Advanced Kit Includes:
1x Porter Cable 7424
1x 6" (148mm) Velcro Backing Plate
2x Lake Country White Polishing Pads
1x Lake Country Orange Cutting Pad
1x Lake Country Black Finishing Pad
3x Snappy Clean Pad Degreaser Packets

Wheels and Tires
1X P21S Metal Polishing Soap
1X Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
1X Poorboy's World Bold n Bright

This would be a very thorough package producing outstanding results. This would totally revive the paint, interior, wheels, engine, etc. I realize this is a ton of information and products so I'm ready to explain anything you need more information on. Thanks for posting and I look forward to working with you and helping you complete an outstanding detail.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
thanks for the great responce. this is exactly what i was looking for. one questions though. My wheels are aftermarket and have a painted black center with a stainless lip. is the metal polishing soap safe to use on the painted part of the wheels.

Thanks
jon

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkwithanr View Post
thanks for the great responce. this is exactly what i was looking for. one questions though. My wheels are aftermarket and have a painted black center with a stainless lip. is the metal polishing soap safe to use on the painted part of the wheels.

Thanks
jon
Unfortunately the P21s Metal Polishing Soap is not safe for painted portions of wheels. I'd suggest the P21s Wheel Gel Cleaner or just treating that area the same as you would with your clear coat. The Wheel Sealant should help make future cleaning much easier.

Good question, we'd hate to have that overlooked and potentially damage your wheels.

George @ Detailed Image

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
skull

My Ride: 2002 330i, 2006 325i
I need a good tip to revive the rubber that goes around the back window. It is dry and I am looking to see if it can be re moisturized if you will.
skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
1Z Gummifledge would be a good product for that, or any UV type product like 303 Aerospace.
SilvaBimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvaBimma View Post
1Z Gummifledge would be a good product for that, or any UV type product like 303 Aerospace.
+1 on 1Z

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
mark2727

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3 Vert
Greg--
What do you recommend for convertible top cleaning and protecting?
mark2727 is offline   Reply With Quote