E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #2961
cristianff

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via MSN to cristianff
Jeff
I followed the steps above and I haven't success in the update.
Simply when I reboot the unit the update doesn't get started.

I tried to boot with the sdcard in the the left slot and in the right slot, I guess the right slot to do the update is the left slot isn't it? The sdcard was formated and mark as active, exactly how the video showed.

My dealer is from Australia and his eBay shop is named "quantin", there is no more itens for sale and he doesn't reply my emails.
Here in Brazil we do not have Dynavin dealers, good news lol...

I realy don't know what to do, the unit works fine unless the GPS. Rightly the GPS function that brings the Android access.

If you could help me I feel inclined to send my unit to your shop to repair. I pay the shipping costs. What do you think? Please help a poor boy that it's blind in this case lololololol.

Thanks

BMW 330i 2001 - Brazil
Ayrton Senna - Simple the best

Last edited by cristianff; 07-11-2013 at 02:58 PM.
cristianff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #2962
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
ugh.....email me and ill email you the correct program to format the card. There is SO much misinformation out there about this.....
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #2963
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330ci 2004 ImolaRed
Send a message via AIM to lilmenace91
I was about to get the chinese knock off of this ... but am deciding against it... -- went to dynavins website and it said 699... realized it said pounds... converted it to USD... its over 1000... then i went to http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavinsolutions/ --- its 799

someone please explain why? ... if i will still be getting support if anything goes wrong... its majority of the reason why i am deciding to spend more .. its for tht piece of mind.

I was also told that its TERRIBLE in the SUN and imposible to see in the sun... is this an issue for the dynavin units as well? i am terribly sorry if the answer to my question is somewhere out there on the forums.. i just dont have time.. i want to place an order asap.

thankx PM w/ info or jus post here.

-------------------------------------------------------
E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
window tints 35% all around
dynavin w/ android

^^^^^ this is upsetting i need more to add to the list.
lilmenace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #2964
J&T Distributing

"dynavins website" that you saw was just a dealer site in the UK, pricing varies greatly depending on where you are in the world, customs duties, tariffs, different markets etc....

Dynavins website is Dynavin.com, they have a dealer page there where you can find your country's dealer (who happens to be me in this case). It seems that you dont realize that www.jandtdistributing.com is me....the guy who has thousands of posts on this forum supporting the dynavin users....

Make sure you read our FAQ on our website, and make sure an android unit is what you want, the regular units are the best option for 90% of people out there when they really get down to it.... email me if you have any further questions.

The glare issues are WAY worse on the old units, not as bad on the newer ones, but its always going to be a bit of an issue as the angle of the dash is such that some users are going to get a reflection of the rear window.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #2965
siffion

My Ride: 330ci Vert M Sport
hello, i have purchased a d99, however the android side only displays a blank screen.

i have followed the instructions on pre-formatting a SD card (4GB), and have copied the latest update files for my version from the dynavin WWW.

however when pressing the navi button to update, i see no visual indication of the update progress, just a blank screen. all other functions work fine on the non-android side

is there an internal pin short to reset the android as per other units? bar this any other ideas
siffion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #2966
J&T Distributing

sounds like a dead unit to me...or at least one stuck in a boot loop.....contact your dealer.....and if you bought off of ebay or classifieds, well, talk to the seller....
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #2967
Ubermeister

My Ride: 04 325i
Phone charging

Is it possible to charge a phone via either of the USB ports on the d99+? If not as anyone had any success taping into the fuse panel and running a cord capable of charging a phone (specifically a galaxy S4)? I'm a relative novice when it comes to knowing car stuff but am pretty good at figuring out how to get things working if I know it's possible and get some help pointing me in the right direction. I've searched the forums and on google without much luck. Thanks in advance!
Ubermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #2968
ghemon67

My Ride: anything
Question jelly bean

first af all sorry I tried to search someone that tried to install in nand of Dynavin D99+ android 4.1 or upper instead 2.2 but unlucky i didn't find anything... is there anybody out there (crazy like me)???
ghemon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #2969
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghemon67 View Post
first af all sorry I tried to search someone that tried to install in nand of Dynavin D99+ android 4.1 or upper instead 2.2 but unlucky i didn't find anything... is there anybody out there (crazy like me)???
Go for it. If you go back about a year or two, myself and a couple others tried - we got stuck on the touchscreen drivers required to build a new kernel, and of course Dynavin doesn't give 2 craps about us, so refuses to release source code. Otherwise, I had 4.0 running great. Just couldn't use the touchscreen.

You could probably get it working if you wrote your own custom touch screen driver. If you do that and get 4.0+ working, I'll personally take you out for as many rounds of your favorite drink that you can handle in one night. Then buy a Dynavin for my E39.

I gave up on Dynavin when they determined all they wanted to do was build new more expensive units and still use a version of android thats many YEARS old.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #2970
rjbarrington

My Ride: 320d
I'll second the request for drivers... There's a reasonable argument that they're obligated under the GPL, Berne Convention, Computer Software Protection Act, etc, and it's not like the touch screen driver source code is going to make or break the company. That aside, I wanted to share a useful app for the Android devices to set the night-time display to something more compatible with BMW back-lighting. It's called Twilight and has nothing to do with sparkly vampires. Basically it puts a progressively more amber and dimmer overlay on to the screen as it gets later in the evening. Not everyone likes the tint, but I find it much easier on the eyes at night.

_nr_
rjbarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #2971
alex664

My Ride: e46
Hi i have dynavin e46 wince 6.00 Were i find update to change android ????? Thanks !!!
alex664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #2972
J&T Distributing

that "twilight" app looks intriguing......

alex664, the android units are different hardware, its a different unit, not just software.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #2973
alex664

My Ride: e46
Mine d99 is posible to works win ce and android.
alex664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #2974
VitalyZHP
Ukrainian

My Ride: 04 330CI
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering this unit and have a question. I currently have a pioneer double din head unit in my car and had to cut the duct and modify the vent arm in order for it to fit. From what I understand the dynavin head unit installs as a single din aside from the hvac relocation which I already have. My question is has anyone done this in their car and what parts did you have to replace to convert everything back to stock.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #2975
J&T Distributing

Yes, the dynavin installs like a single din (its small on the back). Since you already cut up your car for your double din you cant really "go back" without taking the entire car apart, better to leave the modifications as is, the dynavin would still install ok.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #2976
TrickyMan

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
List of Compatible 3G/4G Dongles

Ordered the 99+ Android today, then spent hours pouring over this thread. I'm sure there's probably mention of it somewhere and I'm just not finding it; can someone please point me in the direction of a list of verified compatible GSM 3G/4G dongles? I'm on AT&T and would rather buy from a stateside vendor. I was surprised I didn't see any on your website, Jeff. You could have made more money off of me.
TrickyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #2977
jpark74

My Ride: 330XI
I don't suggest anyone buying a Dynavin.
I've had it for a year and it's really a waste of money
For God's sake, they're still using a single core sub Ghz cpu with a resistive screen.
You guys know how sluggish that is?

I suggest you go out and get a nice Nexus 7 and come up with a nice mounting solution. Bunch of thieves charging an arm and a leg for old tech that belongs in a museum.

Last edited by jpark74; 09-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.
jpark74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #2978
eavg

My Ride: 120i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark74 View Post
I don't suggest anyone buying a Dynavin.
I've had it for a year and it's really a waste of money
For God's sake, they're still using a single core sub Ghz cpu with a resistive screen.
You guys know how sluggish that is?

I suggest you go out and get a nice Nexus 7 and come up with a nice mounting solution. Bunch of thieves charging an arm and a leg for old tech that belongs in a museum.
I agree with you!
Bought and regretted.
The machine is slow, but if only there was good support with frequent updates and bug fixes would still considerable.
But the way it is too bad.
If possible, buy another brand.
I have a DVN-E8x almost one year, and until now many settings and little result.
Really terrible.
eavg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #2979
jpark74

My Ride: 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by eavg View Post
I agree with you!
Bought and regretted.
The machine is slow, but if only there was good support with frequent updates and bug fixes would still considerable.
But the way it is too bad.
If possible, buy another brand.
I have a DVN-E8x almost one year, and until now many settings and little result.
Really terrible.
If someone really wants an Android unit, I say Andrive is a much better choice.
Dual core 1.2Ghz is MUCH faster than a 500Mhz SINGLE core that Dynavin has.
1Gb Ram vs 256Mb really?

Comparison between Andrive VS Dynavin
jpark74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #2980
J&T Distributing

Based on the last few comments I figure I should sound off about this......and the current state of things.

Dynavin pioneered this concept but that was a LONG time ago now in "tech time." 3 years ago in android development time might as well be 40 years ago. I think they had high hopes for the platform but ultimately found (as did I) that android was not an ideal platform for a car stereo, both from a technical standpoint and from a marketing/support standpoint. Misunderstandings about its capabilities and the technical/knowledge requirements to get the most out of them caused issues with customers, many of whom bought them because they automatically assumed they were "better" or bought one because they had an android phone, or just bought it because they were android fans, NONE of these were good reasons to buy an android unit, and still aren't! The Dynavin units will still do all the cools stuff I posted earlier in this thread, but its been my experience that few people have the patience or willingness to experiment that it took to make them do these things.

There is also the great misunderstanding about what android means on a dynavin (or similar) unit, In the case of a dynaivn the android part is 1 of 11 possible primary functions (CD,DVD,SD,USB,ipod,AUX,Radio,TV,BT Audio,BT streaming, AND android or Nav) but some people (and this entire thread) treat it like android is all there is.

While dynavin android units are still available, the tech is now getting pretty long in the tooth and I have been pushing most customers away from android units for at least a year now unless they have a very specific need/want that is android related (torque, android media player, google maps, youtube, etc) AND they fully know about the requirements of tethering etc... Rarely are their wants/needs aligned with what the android units do. In fact, 9 times out of 10 when a customer calls/emails me requesting an android unit they end up with a regular unit after a simple 5 minute conversation about their intended use and upgrade priorities.

I have tried some of these other brand units, some work ok, some barely work at all, as well as units like the Parrot android smart (probably the best entirely android unit out there at the moment) and frankly im of the opinion that android in general is not very good match for a car stereo application, too many menu layers, too much scrolling/touching, to many checkboxes, etc... it just isnt well suited to use while going 70mph. Its great for a phone or tab, but you hold those in your hand, stereos are a totally different thing. To those who are technically minded, want flexibility and internet connectivity, android can do that, BUT for those that want a car stereo/nav system, its my opinion that a regular dynavin or conventional aftermarket double dins are going to be a better choice.

I understand why other manufactures are still pursuing it, android is what people think they want, there is demand there, I get it, but I expect they will run into many of the same hurdles and customer misunderstandings that we did.

Anyway, thats where I stand on this as of now, subject to change of course as tech is always evolving and the next big breakthrough is always right around the corner!

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-14-2013 at 01:29 PM.