E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
Elephant1

My Ride: E30, E36, E46, E39
The E46 chassis is much stiffer than the E36. Unfortunately the vehicle is heavier as well. I will be removing weight to help this a bit. AC will be ditched as the compressor took a dump anyway and they're uber expensive to replace (rebuilt). I will also remove the heavier and expensive stock electric fan set up and install a Spal. Airbags will be removed also. If I can find a decent deal on a pair of race seats I may ditch the stock seats also. But that's getting really close to needing a roll bar so not sure there.

I do not care for the open diff on the track of course, it sucks. However, initially I'm looking to make moderate upgrades that are reasonable cost for decent improvements. I acquired a 3.38 axle and though it's also open it will be an improvement. I'll be able to tune the suspension a bit to deal with the missing LS but at some point, yes, I will upgrade that as well.

I hope to get some actual work done in the next month. I won't hit the track in this car til April but since I'm doing the diff I'll likely drop the subframe and do those bushings too.

Cheers.
E39 540 6spd (wrecked, parting out)
E36 M3 (for sale as roller/race car project)
Elephant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
Xiph0s

My Ride: E83 DD, E46 Racing
subscribed!
Xiph0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
pr0craztinazn

My Ride: '87 325
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=237303 - Might this be the solution for M52TU oil cooler port woes?

I never thought of the stock e-fan as particularly heavy, given how much air it flows and how little volume any Flex-a-lite or Spal puts out.
pr0craztinazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
Elephant1

Hmmm....that's an interesting looking piece. I wonder if that would fit on an M52TU. They say M5X but I've learned that often that may not mean M52TU motors, the bastards they are. I guess I don't see why it wouldn't but not sure...yet. I will have to do some thinking on this and see how this might compare to the typical euro solution. I've yet to discover if the euro housing will actually fit this motor, no one can seem to say for sure.

As for the fan, the stock fan is not really that heavy but I'm quite certain the aftermarket Spal or similar will be more efficient. My main need for the fan is in traffic and on track I'd rather have more airflow not hindered by a shroud and fans.

Cheers.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #25
Technikzauberer

My Ride: '00 323i
Send a message via Yahoo to Technikzauberer
Thanks for the heads up on the new goodie. It is an interesting possible solution. Would be fun figuring out a true belt length (since pulleys change the stock length already).
Also been trying to contact/research anyone/anywhere that has gone the Euro 52 or S54 housing route on an M52TU.
Certainly seems less of a cost than original thought of a Motorsport housing with the VAC billet cap http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...ousing-cap.htm since the AN fitting prevents the temp sensor.

Anyone have an aftermarket oil pan baffle installed in their M52TU?
'00 323i for the road and track... not exactly stock. CAI, Shark, SS Headers [no cats], Custom Exhaust, RE Pulleys, LTW FW, Bilstein Sports w/H&R Race, Camber Plates, TMS Sways, Strut Braces, 3.46, ZHP parts... and many other perf bits.

Last edited by Technikzauberer; 02-24-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Technikzauberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #26
E4(door)6

My Ride: 328i
subscribed! Can't wait to see your progress and exchange some notes.
E4(door)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
Elephant1

Heh, last active Feb 2012 so just over a year later. I'll be taking on a long list of these various mods shortly as I'm planning to take the car to Mid Oho over Memorial weekend. Changes along the way also.......I am going to install a roll bar, I have a pair of race seats and 6pt harnesses, other stuff too. I picked up a 3.38 diff (open but better ratio anyway) so that'll be better than the 2.93 or whatever is in it. To recap, here's the original list:

1. AST 4100's with CCP, urethane RSM's. Will do 570/680 Swift springs w/tenders and bearings, ZHP front sway bar, stock rear
2. weight reduction...AC compressor is toast so will remove that, some other things but not too much
3. D Force 17x8 LTW5 with Nitto NT01's
4. I have a line on a set of Alcon front brakes so if the price is right I'll do that, otherwise probably do 330 upgrade
5. Chibay headers....why not
6. a few other things yet TBD.

Changes to this include:

1. AST 5100's and stiffer springs, staying with ZHP front and stock rear bar for now
4. Stoptech 4 wheel brake kit, looking at solutions for individual MC's but tough without a cage
6. Not for MO in May but this summer I'll be swapping in an M54 from a 2004 ZHP along with the 6spd trans

Likely going to be a couple weeks yet til I get much done but it's coming and it'll be a lot quick. Oh, I'm 99% certain I have an oil cooler solution so I'll post details once I get that sorted.

Cheers.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Subscribed. Are you just planning to do HPDE or wheel to wheel racing?

Would love to see this thing! I think I will be at MidOhio the week before memorial weekend. Any other tracks you hit up?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
Elephant1

This car will only be for DE's, I have an E30 M3 that I race but it's in the process of being completely rebuilt....need a fix til it's done and don't want to be borrowing friends cars all the time. I have a friend who is starting in GTS2 with NASA this year so I'll probably co-drive with him once or twice. I tend to hit midwest tracks primarily though I've been to many others outside of this area. I've got a lot of family stuff that's going to be taking my time for the next few years so I'll be in this region for the most part. I generally get to Putnam, MO, Autobahn, and maybe Grattan or Gman. After MO not sure how many more events I'll do this year, would like to do 2 or 3 more but reality is likely only 1, maybe 2.

Cheers.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Bump.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
Elephant1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
Bump.
Bump indeed! I've done almost nothing other than put street rubber on one of the sets of D Force 17x8's that I have. I have a great list of collected parts but for some reason no matter how long I wait they don't seem to be installing themselves. I'm going to miss the last event of the year that I was planning on so basically my target now is next May, Memorial weekend at Mid Ohio.

I'm still working on the M54 ZHP motor, it's now available along with the mating 6spd. I'll need to get crackin'.

Cheers.

Tags
ast 4100, e46, e46 upgrades, track project